SE Turbo Front Mount Intercooler

This thread was in know way a bashing thread of any kind,DONT take it that way.Im sure people have had great results with Jack intercooler.
As far as Actual data,My intake temps at the up pipe at the line were a few degrees over ambient after the burnout. by the end of the 1/4 mile it was damn close to 200* in the up pipe.The tune is not going to change the air temp coming out of the turbo.My intercooler is in the spot it was designed to be instlalled in,and my turbo SHOULD be efficient in the 28# range

When i was running boost in the low 20's my intake temps were great ,Never reached over 120-130 area,But as i turned it up over 26#s it climbed higher.
I was running a large 76 turbo, With smaller turbos i have no data,Just my car alone.I have datalogs from my fast that show these numbers.
Thiis is why i am looking for a more efficient unit.

Also, this thread wasnt about JAcks intercooler,so if i could get input on the SE Turbo one i would appreciate it.
Please back on track or lock it.

:smile:
KLHAMMETT said:
This thread was in know way a bashing thread of any kind,DONT take it that way.Im sure people have had great results with Jack intercooler.
As far as Actual data,My intake temps at the up pipe at the line were a few degrees over ambient after the burnout. by the end of the 1/4 mile it was damn close to 200* in the up pipe.The tune is not going to change the air temp coming out of the turbo.My intercooler is in the spot it was designed to be instlalled in,and my turbo SHOULD be efficient in the 28# range

When i was running boost in the low 20's my intake temps were great ,Never reached over 120-130 area,But as i turned it up over 26#s it climbed higher.
I was running a large 76 turbo, With smaller turbos i have no data,Just my car alone.I have datalogs from my fast that show these numbers.

Not at all worried about it Otto...... like I said, combination is everything. Most guys I've spoken with are ecstatic with their results and temps. I guess you had a few problems at Salem other than air charge temps, but I am sure you will straighten everything out. I can give you a few numbers for my new IC at Salem. ranging from 125 at the starting line to 130-140 at the end. Not the best, but I know with some work in the front of the IC and a few mods we are doing to the inlet outlet of the core that will improve.... :smile:

KLHAMMETT said:

Are you sure that the intercooler is the problem with the air temps?
I have heard from several sources that the turbo you are running is junk if you try and boost it over the mid 20s. You may want to ask Joe Lubrant about the Precision Twin Stacked Intercooler that he and Bamford run.
I have one but have never installed it.

top gun said:
Why is he switching from the Cottons front mount?? I thought it was one of the best out there.
What were his inlet temps??

From the data I saw on Cottons intercooler, if you had a flat spot on your up pipe you could fry an egg after the pass.

Shoot dave...... guess you already know the answer..... :eek: :rolleyes: :smile: :smile:

KLHAMMETT said:

Wow... that is a bit hot. I run a t-70 in the 30 PSI range and at end of run my intake temps are 145-147. Have you tried a new sensor?

Sully

3 different turbos on 3 different cars with the same Cotton intercooler a 71, 76 and 88 all having high inlet temps.

The 71 had 180 deg. inlet temps, the 76 and 88 were above 200 deg.

My custom intercooler had 120 deg. inlet temps with the exact 71 turbo as the person above in the same weather conditions.

I can see how the tune up can affect the egt temps, please explan how it can change the inlet temps. :confused:

V6 Beast said:
Wow... that is a bit hot. I run a t-70 in the 30 PSI range and at end of run my intake temps are 145-147. Have you tried a new sensor?

Sully

Those high inlet temps may explain your head gasket problems.

I don't think so. Both HGs issues I have had recently were vacumn line related. Once to the DP switch and once to the MAP sensor. Those problems have been corrected. Went to track Sat night and made a couple easy passes and it is running strong again. Strong being a relative term. :cool:

Sully

John Wilde said:
Are you sure that the intercooler is the problem with the air temps?
I have heard from several sources that the turbo you are running is junk if you try and boost it over the mid 20s. You may want to ask Joe Lubrant about the Precision Twin Stacked Intercooler that he and Bamford run.
I have one but have never installed it.

Man who says its junk? Every car i know that has run the turbo has made its fastest passes,My car went from 9.80 at 140 to 9,42 at 146 with just a turbo change from a GTQ76 to a GTS 76.
Bamford sysclone run one also has run that fast.

Looking back at datalogs for all three turbos i ran ( GTQ76,GTS76,and GT80R) all sho inlet temps in the high 180-190 area at the end of a run,Sensor has been changed as it had gone bad(probably melted :) )

I also know of the cars Top gun has mentioned and saw their logs first hand.My intercooler had been boxed in after i noticed the problem,That did not help.Im thinking it just cant handle the air flow that the bigger turbos produce and higher boost levels,As its shown it has run an 8 in jacks car,But there are cars that ra in the 8s with a standard precision intercooler also.Just cause the temps are hot doesnt mean it wont run fast<BUT will it runner faster if they are lower, As Jack said his temps were in the 135 or so range with his NEW LARGER intercooler, Jack, did you log temps with the old one on the car then the new one? if so were the temps any different,I would expect lower temps with the addition he has made to it.

KLHAMMETT said:
Man who says its junk? Every car i know that has run the turbo has made its fastest passes,My car went from 9.80 at 140 to 9,42 at 146 with just a turbo change from a GTQ76 to a GTS 76.

Looking back at datalogs for all three turbos i ran ( GTQ76,GTS76,and GT80R) all sho inlet temps in the high 180-190 area at the end of a run,Sensor has been changed as it had gone bad(probably melted :) )

I also know of the cars Top gun has mentioned and saw their logs first hand.My intercooler had been boxed in after i noticed the problem,That did not help.Im thinking it just cant handle the air flow that the bigger turbos produce and higher boost levels,As its shown it has run an 8 in jacks car,But there are cars that ra in the 8s with a standard precision intercooler also.Just cause the temps are hot doesnt mean it wont run fast<BUT will it runner faster if they are lower, As Jack said his temps were in the 135 or so range with his NEW LARGER intercooler, Jack, did you log temps with the old one on the car then the new one? if so were the temps any different,I would expect lower temps with the addition he has made to it.

Very well said Otto. I would be interested to see the logs too Jack. I had asked you for these logs when I talked to you after BPG about my findings. I was the car tesing 3 different turbos 76MM at BG, Norwalk(47/80) and the 47/88 small frame at BPG. At BPG we pulled boost out at the 1/8th because of high temps and still went through the traps 190+(9.36 @ 145+), before those passes(Norwalk) we saw 205+(9.21 @ 147+). The interesting note is the temps by the 660 were 160+(5.89 seconds), which supports a heat soak situation. High MAT temps are unsafe. I seriously doubt my tune or combo has anything to do with this. :rolleyes:

For the record, you might have noticed I tested with 3 different turbos, I did also check backpressure (inlet/outlet) with the 47/80 and noted minimal, so it is not restrictive. I suspected the intercooler to NOT be the problem, but after repetitive testing with different turbos, I made a discovery IMHO.

Since I've been and going to be accused of making posts attacking certain vendor, I might as well get this out in the open that this is not a attack on a certain vendor, I am simply answering questions asked by individuals who want the truth. There is no harm in this and I am sorry that I can't be owned, or told what to say and who to say it to on a public forum or at a public event.

KLHAMMETT said:

Otto,

This is a good turbo, but from what I have heard from several v-8 guys it does not like a lot of boost. That just means that it pushes it's max CFM at a lower psi. Once you over spin the turbo it will blow hot.

In regards to the intercooler deal, logs don't lie and the proof is in the pudding.!

Ted A. said:
Very well said Otto. I would be interested to see the logs too Jack. I had asked you for these logs when I talked to you after BPG about my findings. I was the car tesing 3 different turbos 76MM at BG, Norwalk(47/80) and the 47/88 small frame at BPG. We pulled boost out at the 1/8th because of high temps and still went through the traps 190+(9.36 @ 145+), some passes we saw 205+(9.21 @ 147+). The interesting note is the temps by the 660 were 160+, which supports a heat soak situation. High MAT temps are unsafe. I seriously doubt my tune or combo has anything to do with this. :rolleyes:

For the record, you might have noticed I tested with 3 different turbos, I did also check backpressure (inlet/outlet) with the 47/80 and noted minimal, so it is not restrictive. I suspected the intercooler to NOT be the problem, but after repetitive testing with different turbos, I made a discovery IMHO.

Since I've been and going to be accused of making posts attacking certain vendor, I might as well get this out in the open that this is not a attack on a certain vendor, I am simply answering questions asked by individuals who want the truth. There is no harm in this and I am sorry that I can't be owned, or told what to say and who to say it to on a public forum or at a public event.

Excellent post thanks for sharing!!!!
Which turbo are you going to run??? :D

This front mount is rated at around 1400 HP.

Attachments

• secret intercooler.jpg
    secret intercooler.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 876
Wow..... good one guys, your posts from the beginning were obvious as to where this thread was going to go..... :rolleyes: what a surprise. No way would I take this as a bashing, just good ole sharing of info. Thanks, and as was noted in the spring I was working on a new IC to improve on the first design for the larger combinations. The data we aquired initially was based on the info I received from guys like TSM racers Roy and laz. Since their testing showed an improvement in temps compared to the V1 IC, we were satisfied that our IC was functioning as hoped for. I also, having used the best available components, attempted to keep the pricing afforable to the masses, think I accomplished that. Now we are in an area, with "Top Gun" racers like yourself that obviously need even more..... we are working on it and as I noted earlier, my results seem to be promising. I plan on working with another core that I expect to be ready for testing very soon.Thanks for the valuable info, it will be used accordingly. :smile:

Intercooler

That intercooler was built by Grand Bending in GA. It is a Garret core. He also does direct fit aluminum radiators with the oil and tranny cooler. His quality is awesome. I believe he is also the guy who mandrel bends the T Houston DPs. I think he sells the intercoolers and pipes for about a grand. Radiators are $550. I'll try to post a phone number. He's in Marietta Ga off of South Cobb Dr.

If it does support 1400 hp for a grand,Thats a damn good deal, I heard that the garrett cores are the best

Maybe Roy or Laz can chime in with some data on their intake temps if they record them