SE Turbo Front Mount Intercooler

JCotton said:
Got some testing in today, on a TSM car....... 25lbs of boost, started at 121* ended at 122*, most of the run was in the teens. Next pass 10 minutes later, at 23lbs of boost, temp at the end of the run was 116*. This was the 1st time out with a new car, we didn't push it, 18* of timiing, soft launches off the foot brake, with a 71-X trim turbo. Oh.... and it didn't run 98mph either........... :rolleyes: :cool:

If I had a B.S. flag I would have to let it fly based on your latest numbers. :rolleyes:

KLHAMMETT said:
Cool,What were the outside temps? and what track? seems like good numbers, but why so high at start?
At bpg in 98* air i was leavin the line at 105*

I was leavin with 92* MAT temps after the burnout in that 90+ degree weather. Same Innovative turbo. Not sure how 121* would be possible 20+ degrees cooler outside. Must be your tune up. You should show Otto your files, he might be able to help you..... :rolleyes:

John,

It performed well, spool up was excellent, launched around 6-8lbs off the foot brake, the motor sounded great. We were very pleased for the first time out. other than the 1st pass that was supposed to be at 10lbs....... it wasn't ... 29lbs netted almost 129mph. I knew it didn't sound like 10lbs.. :D seems to be a problem with the new wastegate, so we just had the line hooked to the bottom of the gate and ran about 25, then 23lbs the next pass. Convertor could use a few 100rpms tightening up.

We raced in NH, NED, temps were in the low 70's, lots of idling time before staging. With the cold air kit picking up in frt of the tire, probably picked up some engine heat. dunno.

Get a bigger fan on the rad,My idle temps after burnout were always 10 or so * around ambient.If it was 121 leaving hte line on a 70* day it had been heat soaked,A good fan should cure that

top gun said:
If I had a B.S. flag I would have to let it fly based on your latest numbers. :rolleyes:

Here ya go "TOP GUN"

bflag.gif

After watching this thread the way I see it they are both good intercoolers. To me one person's claim is as good as anothers. The only #'s I'll use to judge which cooler is better is when some one flows them on a bench where the variables can be controlled. Dave's combo is so dead nuts on he could put a shoe box in there for a cooler and get good #'s. Just look back at the GTQ threads. He had good results where others had problems.
I'll say this about Jacks cooler, I picked up a tenth and 1.5 mph just from swaping from a V-2. I also now have to ramp in the boost to keep spinning the tires through 2nd. His cooler put me in the 9's. Those are not hard #'s either, just what I've experianced.

Thank you Phil for reassuring words.

I just got off the phone with my customer and went over his logs:

1st pass temps are as follows, beginning with temp after burnout and highest temp at the finish line with boost for each pass:

1st- 29lbs - 125 after burnout - 113 launch - 135 at the end

2nd- 25lbs - 118 launch - 107 @ 2-3 shift - 122 at the end

3rd- 23Lbs - 123 after burnout - 122 at the end

4th- 22lbs - 121 after burnout - 105@2-3 shift - 114.6 at the end

Lot of variables in between runs, but these are the numbers as best as I can see, with the "dangling" MAT in the intake... looks pretty consistent to me. This is all I have to share and see no need to further post to this thread, unless there is something of significance worthy of response.

Test we did with the intercooler definetly showed that it had very little pressure drop across it,I was impressed there.
Ill be in Vegas in 2 weeks helping with 3 cars with Jacks intercooler
all with F.A.S.T systems,ranging between low 9s to mid 10s.

The number you posted Jack are in the ball park of what ive seen on a 10 sec car. I dont have much data though with cars in the high 120s

Most of what i have posted are cars running in the high 130s to the 150 range.
Running 129 MPH (IF its at the 3550 TSM weight) hes making about 700 HP Flywheel an 600 or so at the wheels.
So this shows your intercooler on a 70* day runs about 65*above ambient at high boost.Which is decent,on a 700 hp car

laz said:
The best times we turned with jacks intercooler in tsm trim where 9.38@146.89 at night at reynolds i have video but no timeslip

I don't believe you Laz, we need to see video of this pass!!! ;) :biggrin: :cool:

JCotton said:
looks pretty consistent to me. This is all I have to share and see no need to further post to this thread, unless there is something of significance worthy of response.

Consistentcy doesnt make a great intercooler.Ability to keep cool and close to ambient is what I am looking for. If its 70 outside, I would like to see no more than 100* at the traps and that is a 30* increase overall.Which i would like to see less,but am sure the hotter outside temp that 30* may increase a bit

When you compare intake temps it should be from ambient temp,This is you goal to be close to.But without air-water it will never be the same.

Here is a good read on intercoolers

http://www.are.com.au/feat/techtalk/intecoolersMR.php

SeTurbo's intercoolers are brand new and we are currently selling them on ebay for $1399. Our intercoolers have a full 4" core, come with 3" aluminum mandrell bent piping, 4 ply silicone hoses, and the highest quality Breeze stainless steel T-bolt clamps needed to install. Our Xtreme intercooler dimensions dwarf all other front mount intercoolers;
4"H x 16 3/4"H x 34"L

INTER.JPG

Be cool to test an SE intercooler on Dick's car Otto. Take us 5 minutes to change and and could really see back to back differances with the same turbo/tune up/weather conditions. Give us somethin to do too.......

Instead of makin rental car passes........... :D

Maybe we can get Paul to send us one to test, I can Run it on Paul H's stage car back to back also,Low 9sec car would be a great test

KLHAMMETT said:
Maybe we can get Paul to send us one to test, I can Run it on Paul H's stage car back to back also,Low 9sec car would be a great test

That sounds cool. I'll be the guy drinkin' beer while you guys sweat your a$$es off swapping IC's :D ;)

See ya there dudes :biggrin:

JCotton said:
Lot of variables in between runs, but these are the numbers as best as I can see, with the "dangling" MAT in the intake... looks pretty consistent to me. This is all I have to share and see no need to further post to this thread, unless there is something of significance worthy of response.

No doubt it is consistent

c&cgn said:
That sounds cool. I'll be the guy drinkin' beer while you guys sweat your a$$es off swapping IC's :D ;)

See ya there dudes :biggrin:

even if it is only 8am :biggrin:

cooler

what is the word on cottons cooler? i have one i think its two or three years old i bought it from jack, so is it junk or what,? here the last few nites you dont need any innercooler . its gonna get down to 44 tonite im gonna take a coat to watch a friend run at muncie, after all i have spent in last few days i hate to put out another 1200 or 1500,00 for a new cooler, :confused:

odell4o8 said:
what is the word on cottons cooler? i have one i think its two or three years old i bought it from jack, so is it junk or what,? here the last few nites you dont need any innercooler . its gonna get down to 44 tonite im gonna take a coat to watch a friend run at muncie, after all i have spent in last few days i hate to put out another 1200 or 1500,00 for a new cooler, :confused:

You could always trade me for something!v :D