SE Turbo Front Mount Intercooler

cooler

what have you got to trade? got any guns? im thinking about selling all my buick stuff and coming to sunny california and buying a street rod or custom car or a old mussle ride, i got my old 66 vet out and give it a bath im going to a local car show tomorrow in support of local school. high school kids put it on to raise money, with the turmoil with jacks entercooler i thought mine needed replaced but ill probaly keep it for a while. :confused: :rolleyes:

odell4o8 said:
what is the word on cottons cooler? i have one i think its two or three years old i bought it from jack, so is it junk or what,? :confused:

From the numbers posted it seems to be a great intercooler for 11 sec and slower cars. The high inlet temps on 10 sec and faster cars causes head gasket failure due to detonation and or severe engine damage with prolonged use.

A quality intercooler will provide a 10 to 20 degree rise above ambient at the end of the pass not 50 degrees or higher.

top gun said:
From the numbers posted it seems to be a great intercooler for 11 sec and slower cars. The high inlet temps on 10 sec and faster cars causes head gasket failure due to detonation and or severe engine damage with prolonged use.

A quality intercooler will provide a 10 to 20 degree rise above ambient at the end of the pass not 50 degrees or higher.

Where is that BS flag now? I'm sorry but that is complete BS. I have been running one on the same engine for 3 years on hundreds of 10.18-10.50 passes. The only headgasket issues I have ever had have been lack of fuel related not inlet temp related and never had any engine damage at all(knock on wood).

That kind of untrue, inaccurate, unfounded statement is no help to anyone and it just makes it look like you have some personal vendetta against Jack. What has he done to you Dave to warrant this kind of personal attack? :confused: :confused:

V6 Beast said:
Where is that BS flag now? I'm sorry but that is complete BS. I have been running one on the same engine for 3 years on hundreds of 10.18-10.50 passes. The only headgasket issues I have ever had have been lack of fuel related not inlet temp related and never had any engine damage at all(knock on wood).

That kind of untrue, inaccurate, unfounded statement is no help to anyone and it just makes it look like you have some personal vendetta against Jack. What has he done to you Dave to warrant this kind of personal attack? :confused: :confused:

Looks like he posted his opinion on the subject. Don't know anything about a personal vendetta/attacks. Maybe he doesn't like it when products get sold to people that do not perform as they are expected/told/application. Who knows....

Ted A. said:
Looks like he posted his opinion on the subject. Don't know anything about a personal vendetta/attacks. Maybe he doesn't like it when products get sold to people that do not perform as they are expected/told/application. Who knows....

Oh ok.. Thanks for clearing up why Dave posted Ted. That's very helpful. Do you handle all questions directed to him?? In my opinion, when you post a inaccurate negative comment/lie about a product that you have never owned, used or tried then it comes across as a personal vendetta. But like I said that is just my opinion. See how I make sure you know when I am posting opinion.

Steve

V6 Beast said:
Oh ok.. Thanks for clearing up why Dave posted Ted. That's very helpful. Do you handle all questions directed to him?? In my opinion, when you post a inaccurate negative comment/lie about a product that you have never owned, used or tried then it comes across as a personal vendetta. But like I said that is just my opinion. See how I make sure you know when I am posting opinion.

Steve

PM sent Steve.

cooler

top gun said:

hell you say. all i know is the up pipe does really get warm i burnt a hole in a head stopped end of track and the pipe to throttle body was still too hot to handle. i have had serval coolers on same car, kenny bell big boy, pte, tony dequik, and jacks all front mounts of course, looks like i may be hunting for another, thanks for the info,

new and improved cooler,

Ted A. said:
Yes, I hear that.
TED. i may have to sell or trade one of my old artic cat snowmobiles for a down payment on a new better cooler. i also have a good paint saddle horse for sale cheap. why and how did the problems with jacks cooler come about? is the old tony dequik any worse? how about pte standard front mount good as , better, worst,? the money aint sh!!! i just like to get my moneys worth when i buy a persons product, and i dont have any thing against jack or any vendor, :)

V6 Beast said:

Just because you car does not blow headgaskets,doesnt mean that it is not a cause for others that have had problems,Detonation is a irect corralation to intake temps,If it wasnt, Why do you intercooler? Lower temps= less CHANCE of detonation,But if you run lower timing you can help relieve the detonatoin also.
When you want to go fast you need all things correct,I run upwards of 27* timing in my car and a real good tune.But i did see that my rod bushings were a bit worn from detonation.Had i realized the temps were so high earlier on on would not have run that much timing.

KLHAMMETT said:
Just because you car does not blow headgaskets,doesnt mean that it is not a cause for others that have had problems,Detonation is a irect corralation to intake temps,If it wasnt, Why do you intercooler? Lower temps= less CHANCE of detonation,But if you run lower timing you can help relieve the detonatoin also.
When you want to go fast you need all things correct,I run upwards of 27* timing in my car and a real good tune.But i did see that my rod bushings were a bit worn from detonation.Had i realized the temps were so high earlier on on would not have run that much timing.

Just because your car does blow headgaskets, doesn't mean that anyone elses will. I raised the BS flag because Dave made it sound like Jacks IC is inappropriate for any 10 sec car or faster and any car going that fast even trying it would be toast in no time and that just doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe I am the exception but I know plenty of other 10 sec cars and a more than a couple 9's running it.

I run 26º and 28+ psi boost... usually 30. Been doing it for 3 years and have
never seen any signs of detonation in my bearings.

I am not saying that you haven't had the results you expected or wanted from the IC, but I am glad you were able to rule out every other single possiblity other than the IC. That should make it easy for you to fix the problem and lay down the passes you are expecting. I just hope you are able to find an IC that will meet your needs. Sounds like you should try the one Dave uses since that is a proven unit and see if reduces your intake temps by the 80º you need. Please keep us updated with your success.

Steve

I dont think anyone is stepping on anyones toes,we just all want the best product.

If you use meth injection(like the **** should allow in race class's)this would all be pointless.

Odell,sent u a PM,ive got lots of guns to trade for Stage parts,LOTS;)

Edit:funny as hell that g s ca is blocked,what else has happened since ive been gone?

I ran 9.42 with it,Ted ran in the 9.teens i believe,and Jack made an 8 sec pass with it also.But if your intake temps were colder by even 50-60*, That should relate to 50-60 horsepower.
Do you want the 50-60 extra horsepower? And the added reliability of cooler intake temps?
I do.

Wow again, and good morning.......... Looks like things are really picking up here. I'm not sure where to begin, but I'll start with, I didn't want anything to do with this thread or for that matter with anything related to what I consider a personal attack. Of course that is my opinion and as we all know, some of us are entitled to that, and some aren't. There are 2 kinds of critique that I know of, constructive and destructive. This one appears to fall into the later. I say that because, all of this is pretty much a surprise to me..... other than Ted, informing me of his high intake temps after BG, I have never heard of a problem.

I attempted to help Ted determine why, but unfortunately Ted chose not to work with me, instead, it would appear he chose to work with others, from a different perspective and approach. That's fine for him, his choice. Now if we were to approach this in a constructive way, I would have wanted to check a few things first, such as where was his air induction to the turbo located, another question I had for Ted was related to any obstruction to the core he might have had, such as the lower grill plate. That was basically all I had to go with as Ted's combo at the time consisted of the turbo, IC, and headers off of my car, that I had been running for a year.

By the way Otto, I didn't run "A" 8 second pass, I ran 8 second passes at every track I went to for the rest of the season. I also didn't blow any head gaskets, nor did I have signs of detonation when my motor was freshened up. In fact, my bearings looked so good, Bobby said he could have used them over again. Those are facts, not an opinion. I also offered both Ted and Otto a new larger IC, at a fair price to upgrade, but unfortunately they chose not to upgrade. I have always tried to offer the best available product to my customers, not to mention, if I can improve upon something, there is no reason I would not.

I first built my existing IC when I did, because there were no others out there after TDQ left the community, or maybe I should say was not very reliable to supply the demand at the time. I researched IC's and came up with what we have been using based on what was available at the time and what was recommended to handle most of the current HP applications. Laz and Roy were one of the first customers to try it and the results they had were very good, I also installed one in place of my V1 and also had improved performance, all seemed well to me. Since then, many of the TSM racers have also installed our IC with improved results, not to mention many other stage 2 customers. Now here we are 3 years later, more HP is being made by some and obviously, based on current temps, an upgrade is needed by some. No problem, lets talk about it in a constructive way and lets work it out.

Is it really neccesary to act as if I am responsible because Otto broke a crank or Russ wiped out a thrust bearing, or even Ted was only able to run 4 tenths slower than I did with the same, exact parts off of my car with 4 more lbs of boost!!! It would appear to me, you guys need to take a step back and look in other areas or maybe get off your high horses of being the "elite" of the Buick community. We are all trying to go fast, it's our only claim to fame, but at what expense are we accomplishing it? When things don't go well, stop pointing the finger at me, I didn't tune your car, or choose your parts and combo, you did......... It's funny how we thump our chests when we do well, proclaiming how great a tuner we are, but when it doesn't go well, we are so quick to find someone else to blame. When I supplied current temp numbers from both my car and a customers car, you claim BS, now that was predictable since obviously you all didn't want to see results that didn't quite support your "opinion" based on your vast knowledge and experience. From these posts, I would have to think you are all engineers and designers that are capable of going out and building an IC that will accomplish the goals you have set for yourself and others. I am not an engineer, I depend on others with more expertise to guide me, so far, that has worked well enough for me to run my desired numbers.

In the last year, can you tell me who has run 9's in TSM? I know of a few that run my IC, one is Phil M. the other is Dave England, I believe they both run our IC. In fact, other than Dave Bamford, the 2 fastest TSM runs were accomplished by Dave E and Phil M, several others have run their best times since installing our IC, Steve Sullivan included. Again, obviously an improvement over anything else they had available to them. At BG, Morrocco, BPG, we have had our IC installed on several of the top 5 or so qualifiers. At BG and BPG, I qualified #3 and #2 respectively, again, with my IC. Many others have run their fastest times as well, including Otto. Does this mean my IC is the best, heck no, only that it was available and worked well enough to help in achieving goals.

Air inlet temps are not solely the responsibility of the IC, our engine and turbo size, boost levels, air inlet temp to the turbo, air outlet temp from the turbo as well as other factors. The ability to move air through our heads based on port size and flow, cam choice, cubic inch, cyl. compression ratio and more will affect how much pressure will be built up inside the cylinders, more pressure leads to higher air temps. If I need 26 lbs of boost to run 8.90, and someone else needs 31 lbs of boost to run 9.29, what does that mean? Especially if we have pretty much the same IC, turbo and headers....if the cylinders are unable to get the air in and get the air out, wouldn't the flow of both air and exhaust slow down? I think so, sounds logical, that is if we are truly trying to figure out the problem...... if thats the case, if we slow down the air flow and increase the air pressure, wouldn't the temperature of the air then increase? I am not saying my IC is the best that could be used, but it has been the best that has been available, if there is now a need for something better, I am working on it. Performance levels have increased across the board, better turbos, heads, cams, engine management, suspensions, torque convertors,the list is endless........ as we go faster, all of these parts need to be upgraded, without constructive criticism directly to those of us trying to support the Buick commuinuty, how can we help.....

This thread, quickly turned into something other than that. OC, if you think my IC has anything to do with your poor performance, at times, and not your good runs of the last couple years, I believe you are wrong, you had the same results prior to installing my IC. If I am not mistaken, I have attended almost every Buick event from Florida to Ohio the last 5 years and have performed as well as most with my IC the last 3 years. What TSO type car has run consistent low 9's or high 8's over this period? To imply engine failures, bearing wear, head gaskets are due to the IC used is ridiculous, I would tend to say, tune-up and other factors such as failed charging systems, fuel pumps, overboosting and other factors are the cause, but then if we talk about that....... we couldn't very well blame the IC..... could we. If I run 38lbs of boost and my air inlet temps are 190*, is it really the IC's fault?

To sum this up, anyone running my IC that thinks they would like something better than their existing piece, feel free to call me anytime, I am always available and will honestly do everything within my power to accomplish that. That includes you OC, you don't need to sell your snowmobiles or horses to step things up, and it won't cost you an "arm and a leg" either.

JCotton said:
Wow again, and good morning.......... Looks like things are really picking up here. I'm not sure where to begin, but I'll start with, I didn't want anything to do with this thread or for that matter with anything related to what I consider a personal attack. Of course that is my opinion and as we all know, some of us are entitled to that, and some aren't. There are 2 kinds of critique that I know of, constructive and destructive. This one appears to fall into the later. I say that because, all of this is pretty much a surprise to me..... other than Ted, informing me of his high intake temps after BG, I have never heard of a problem.

I attempted to help Ted determine why, but unfortunately Ted chose not to work with me, instead, it would appear he chose to work with others, from a different perspective and approach. That's fine for him, his choice. Now if we were to approach this in a constructive way, I would have wanted to check a few things first, such as where was his air induction to the turbo located, another question I had for Ted was related to any obstruction to the core he might have had, such as the lower grill plate. That was basically all I had to go with as Ted's combo at the time consisted of the turbo, IC, and headers off of my car, that I had been running for a year.

Wow, I'm still waiting for the smoke and screens to clear. I'll answer your questions as honestly as I can.

1. You make reference that I was the only guy to tell you about high temps after BG. I told you AFTER BPG and shared the Data I have shared here. Then state you offered Otto and Me a upgrade. Not true, you offered to sell me a copy of your big IC, that I am not interested in because it is not TSL/TSM legal. You know as well as I do that this is not the first time you were told. I believe you made reference to being told in the spring that is why you are working on a new piece that is being tested soon this can be read in this post above. I was never told of that IC. So, how is that working with me? I would have been estatic to try out and constructively work with you on developement of a new product.

2. If I was the only one to know, then why was Otto offered the same upgrade??

3. What relevence does me working with somebody else have other than to support your accusations that we are against you? Again, this is not a true statement. I am not against you this is about a product.

4. We discussed the lower grille plate, but after the other cars tested that had the plate removed and other "extremes" taken to get flow to the lower portion of the core, this would have minimal cooling improvement. My intake is outside of the engine compartment. You have seen this induction setup, unless you didn't pay attention to the details.

5. BTW, considering I ran a best of 9.21 @147 with convertor problems, and the car is almost 100# heavier than yours and running a smaller (80) turbo I would say things are pretty close to the same potential. Maybe at Cecil it would pick up some too. I chose to run the car with lower boost at BPG to finish some testing. It was pretty hot and not favorable to push the car and hurt it. I can honestly care less if I ran 3 tenthes slower. We'll see how things pan out at BG next season. :D

1. You make reference that I was the only guy to tell you about high temps after BG. I told you AFTER BPG and shared the Data I have shared here. Then state you offered Otto and Me a upgrade. Not true, you offered to sell me a copy of your big IC, that I am not interested in because it is not TSL/TSM legal. You know as well as I do that this is not the first time you were told. I believe you made reference to being told in the spring that is why you are working on a new piece that is being tested soon this can be read in this post above. I was never told of that IC. So, how is that working with me? I would have been estatic to try out and constructively work with you on developement of a new product.

Not true Ted, I told you before BG I was working on a new IC, not because of temp, but because I wanted more flow capacity and felt with more IC frontal area avalable for air flow we could achieve lower temps as well. That was long before any talk of TSL\TSM. Back then, we spoke of using your existing IC for TSM and upgrading the stage 2 set up to the new IC. But I first needed to get some track time with the new setup, unfortunately by that time, communication was already strained. When Otto heard of the new core, he called me, I offered it to him, but the money involved semed to be an issue. I tried........
One more thing, has any of you put a temp sensor before the intake, like somewhere around the outlet of the IC and gotten any data? I would suspect the higher intake temp with a sensor mounted in the plenum or lower manifold would tend to include some heat soak causing higher temps at the line, and for some of us, higher false temps the first 1\8th. It may not be much, but none the less data a little more accurate related to the efficiency of the IC.

jacks cooler

JACK. ill give you a call in a few days, i should be caught up soon, thanks oc,

Well first off Jack, I never blamed your intercooler for any troubles i had, Especially the crank breaking.Im a bit smarter than to think my crank broke from intake temps.

As far as the upgrade,You did offer this,but long before i discovered any problem with my current one,THAT is why i kept the current one,I also do not like the way the new one looks,or find the need for one that is that big, Ill go thicker core,not taller core.

This also was never an attack on YOU. It was feedabck on a product you designed.Again i state is is a good design i feel on a 700HP or less car.
My opinion.I felt i could definetly have gone faster with cooler intake temps,My best pass was done using methanol to cool your extreme intake temps,That is why my car was slower during eliminations.

As far as combo,I have a car that weighed 3615#s with witnesses at BG. I ran a 3.8 lte block,I had a small HYDRAULIC roller cam,I did not have "R" heads. I didnt have 29.5-10.5 w tires (28x10.5s) and a small frame 76 turbo.
All in all i think i did pretty damn good with the combo,It was not at a below sea level track in october like Cecil County, But in BG in the heat and humidity well above 2000Ft any day we were there.And my bearing could still be used again also when Bobby saw them.
Hell at Cecil County in oct i may have beat your best time :p

At the time you built your intercooler, Ill agree it was the best out there that was available.THat is why i bought it,I had no choice as i figure the one PTE was offering at the time would not be enough for the future ,You stated to me "This is the last intercooler i will ever need"And at the time I bought it, I was only running 10.90s-11.00s. with a 64E turbo,Im sure it was plenty of intercooler for that combo.But i dont feel it was the last ill ever need,Even you admit to trying to sell me a better one,Would that be the last one ill ever need?I also heard from someone who gave you this info well over a year ago.So this is not he first time you heard of it.

Ted with 4 more pounds of boost????
Be real we all hve seen your boost controller set at 38#s Jack.
and i had a friend at The valley a few years ago you do not know see a datalog you were reading with it saying 30.4,Anyone with a 3 bar sensor knows it pegs a F.A.S.T datalogger at 30.4 or so who know how much it really was.To use you famous quote " I havent turned it up yet" :rolleyes:

Heck, I would still buy an intercooler from you if it would work for my new combo,But i think the cores companys are using have come a long way in the last few years and they dont need to be as big to keep me were i want to be.

Do not attack me,as i have not attacked you.When i design and sell a product,ill sent you one free of charge and you can scrutinize it all youd like

Im sure all people that install your intercooler WILL have great results, Most guys are going from smaller old school front mounts and stock locations,Yours is definetly better than any other intercooler that was on the market in the last 3-4 years hand down!! I was told when i purchased it, it was for 8 and 9 sec cars.I was not at the time nearly that fast,But now that i am i feel it is sub par,as you must, as you have gone and built a bigger one now.

I have spoke my peace on this thread,and no longer feel the need to "attack a person" as claimed ive been doing.

I will be doing testing in Vegas next week,I will not post results publicly,as i dont want to attack anyone personally.
People can PM me if they would like to know what i found.