Seal Edges of the Filter w/ Black RTV or Not?

JDM

The "Spring Cleaning" routine from GNTTYPE.org says:

"It's a good idea to use JB Weld or black RTV to seal the edge of the filter where the metal part meets the plastic. Seal all around the edge and MAKE SURE THAT IT IS COMPLETELY DRY before reinstalling. This helps prevent aereation of the fluid under hard acceleration."

In another tech article on the same site, a different author warns to NOT use RTV around the pan gasket surface as it can destroy the trans itself if let inside. Is this where the "make sure it is completely dry" disclaimer comes in?

What gives?

Is it wise to seal the edges of the filter with black RTV or not? :confused:

Thanks

Huge Myth!!!

The "Spring Cleaning" routine from GNTTYPE.org says:

"It's a good idea to use JB Weld or black RTV to seal the edge of the filter where the metal part meets the plastic. Seal all around the edge and MAKE SURE THAT IT IS COMPLETELY DRY before reinstalling. This helps prevent aereation of the fluid under hard acceleration."

In another tech article on the same site, a different author warns to NOT use RTV around the pan gasket surface as it can destroy the trans itself if let inside. Is this where the "make sure it is completely dry" disclaimer comes in?

What gives?

Is it wise to seal the edges of the filter with black RTV or not? :confused:

Thanks

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT do that. It is an old wives tale. You will be sorry as eventually the atf will eat the silicone and not be good for trans. Trust me.
Buy the correct pan and sump kit and be done with it.

Bruce
WE4
Performance Transmission Services

Thanks!

Thanks Bruce!

I didn't install the filter that's in there now, so hopefully the last guy didn't do it either! :eek:

I have always gone around the edge of the filter with the Channel Lock "water pump" pliers and re-crimped the metal to the plastic on all those filters.

Just now changing my trans fluid and filter, I'm glad I checked it out here first.