You can type here any text you want

sealer on head bolts or not??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

an87ttype

I know sealer is required on studs but do you need for bolts? I have ARP bolts @ 75f lbs with moly lube and I cleaned the bolt holes. I also have a Fel Pro 9441 gasket.
Any comments before I screw em on??
Thanks.......

If you want leaks, then just screw them in...BUT ...

The bolt holes go into the water jacket...you HAVE TO use sealer on the bolts to prevent coolant leaks...

Use a teflon-based sealer -- or better yet the high-end ARP sealer. And don't be skimpy with it!:)

Get some Permatex #2 and coat the threads with it before putting them in. Done a few motors:D and never had a leaker! FWIW my S-10 manual on my truck says to use #2 which is :cool:

The reason I bought this up was that a well respected TR builder told me that you don't need sealer with bolts only studs. The reason was that during the torque process the sealer (even the ARP) will not give accurate readings.
I think I will take my chances with the ARP thead sealer. I can see that most people are using it.
Thanks all.......

permatex used to sell this stuff called gra#2. Gray bolt prep. it is an antisieze and sealer combination. I've used this on many engine rebuilds and it works great. one problem, is it's discontinued and I'm out. If you can find that stuff it will work also.

I have popped 3 head gaskets on my Buick. All for different reasons.

I have used the same ARP bolts all 3 times with no problems.

I have used the same bolt lube ARP supplied with the bolts and have had 0 leaks.

I would recommend you use the troque sequence that is in the the Buick manual or you can look it up on the GNTType site as well

Good luck

Originally posted by Fred 86 GN
Use a teflon-based sealer -- or better yet the high-end ARP sealer. And don't be skimpy with it!:)
Actually, there is no reason to get more than one or two threads (all the way around the bolt) covered. By "gooping the stuff on" your run the risk of having some of it ooze out onto the deck surface of the block. This is real bad and will cause the head gasket to improperly seal, slip, and eventually fail.

Back