You can type here any text you want

Sealing valve covers to GN1's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Justa6MB

I was having trouble with my valve covers leaking - or splitting the gaskets trying to get them to stop leaking. So I've been using silicone on the valve cover gaskets every time I pull them off and reinstall them. But that has obvious disadvantages too. Are there better options? I'm using aluminum valve covers.
Thanks
D

you may be over tightening them.... they really dont need to be torqued down too much at all....

aaron

Which valve covers and what kind of gaskets? I have TA low profile covers and use the cork style gaskets. I use a couple of dabs of silicon to hold the gasket to the cover only. Dont over tighten the bolts, very common mistake.

Edit...Aaron beat me to it...
Bryan

Use the thick cork gaskets, install DRY, or use a couple dabs of RTV to hold the gasket in place as Phoneguy said

also have good results with the felpro black rubber. very important to make sure the gasket has a good fit to the flat surfaces in the cover. don't want any spots where the gasket isn't sitting flat in the cover due to some overhang or something. trim gasket to make it fit nicely.

I had same problem. I had small breathers in both AM valve covers and PCV still in place. Installed larger breathers, removed PCV, added 3/8" hose with breather style catch can, and re-sealed valve covers like mentioned above and no problems since. After alot of reading on here, many disagree with the PCV removal. Works for my application...

Darren, what kind of gaskets are you using? I would use the rubber/cork composite. Cork would be fine if you lived somewhere warm or the car is in a heated garage.

Which valve covers and what kind of gaskets? I have TA low profile covers and use the cork style gaskets. I use a couple of dabs of silicon to hold the gasket to the cover only. Dont over tighten the bolts, very common mistake.

Edit...Aaron beat me to it...
Bryan

The TA low profile fit on GN1 heads?

Thanks for the replies guys. So I'm using cork gaskets - just a Viktor Reinz (sp?) kit. The valve covers came from FT, and as you can see they don't fit really well to the gaskets on 2 corners. Of coarse the gaskets fit perfectly to the head. But also the valve cover casting is questionable as the edges aren't real defined. I guess I could try sealing the gaskets to the valve covers and not to the heads?

Attachments

• IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0740.JPG
    IMG_0740.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 221
I glue my cork gaskets to the covers first. Let them dry. Then used the "the right stuff" to seal them to the heads. Zero leaks. May never get them back off but I have no plans to pull them off anyway.

Back