You can type here any text you want

Sensor/CRS......

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Guess I've had too much time , since my last PUICK V-sicks....CRS has set in....
Trying to get the damn cam sensor set right, and am about out of brain cells... Wait, that may be the problem to start with!:mad:
Engine attempts starting, chugs for a few secs, then sneezes like it's backing up, dies.
I think I am installing the sensor the correct way, but 180* out.
I have a remote start button, roll it over til I get a puff out of #1, using the hose off the leak down tester.
Check the balancer, it's near TDC, so I roll it by hand to 25* ATD, use the install method we used in 2004. {Haven't done 1 since} :depressed: Dot on the gear pointed at the pass fender, the cap wires pointed to the dr headlite. Used the Caspers box. Lite worked as it should.
I pulled the dr valve cover, and as I bumped to TDC, and then rolled it by hand to 25*A, I see the exhaust valve beginning to open.
My instincts say this is the wrong phase of the cycle. I think this is the exh stroke, not the beginning of the power stroke.
This is a stock engine/cam, valve train. I put a new chain on it, and resealed it.

Someone set me straight, plse, before this ends up on the bag...:banghead:

you are correct the exhaust valve should not be opening at that point...was this a multi key cam gear set?

IF you are truly seeing the exhaust valve beginning to open at 25* atdc regardless what stroke it is on I think you have a bigger problem.....The exhaust valve should begin to open near the bottom of the power stroke say the last 30* or so.......sounds like your exhaust event is about 120* ahead of schedule to me.......

you are correct the exhaust valve should not be opening at that point...was this a multi key cam gear set?

Yep.! Time to take it back down, And see wtf is going on.
A damn shame, too. I have been doing engines for 50 yrs, and can't get it right.:mad:
To boot, this was on an engine stand.:rolleyes:

IF you are truly seeing the exhaust valve beginning to open at 25* atdc regardless what stroke it is on I think you have a bigger problem.....The exhaust valve should begin to open near the bottom of the power stroke say the last 30* or so.......sounds like your exhaust event is about 120* ahead of schedule to me.......

Exactly.. I went back to the shop, and tried it 3 more times...Always finding the the exh valve early.
Another wasted day or two..Good thing is, I'm retired, so when I get fed up, I just close the shop, and go to my part time job as Walmart hottie inspector!!:smuggrin:

Thanks for the response. I had started dis assembly, but thot why not run it by someone else.

Exactly.. I went back to the shop, and tried it 3 more times...Always finding the the exh valve early.
Another wasted day or two..Good thing is, I'm retired, so when I get fed up, I just close the shop, and go to my part time job as Walmart hottie inspector!!:smuggrin:

Thanks for the response. I had started dis assembly, but thot why not run it by someone else.
Ha ha, chuck you must have a much better walmart than we have around here !

Ha ha, chuck you must have a much better walmart than we have around here !

At 76, one doesn't get near as "choosy" ...:jawdrop:
CRS has it's advantages, too. I don't remember the real scary encounters at Wallyworld, long enuf to tell my other 70 y/o buds about them...They have their own "exciting moments".

Sounds like what I did a while ago when I somehow installed the chain on the cam gear 180 out, I was younger so age shouldn't have been an issue more like transient sudden onset retardation..

There you go Chuck, you just proved the "value of this board!" Now wait till I tell my wife why being on this board is so valuable!...........I now have proof.............where was I going w/this????????

Got it apart, and compared the original single key lower gear on the crank, along w/ the multi key unit. looks like the cam is advanced quite some distance.
I had the engine at TDC, put the chain back on to match the original, [near new], gear set.
Going to re-assemble tomorrow.
More later..

Back