Serpentine belt question

BARRACUDA1968

I did a search for a good belt replacement and came up with Good Year/GATORBACK #4060635

I checked the web and found a few on ebay, problem is these belts don't have the ribs for the pulleys etc.

What am I missing here?

I have a terrible belt squeal that I can't get rid of. Tried a new belt same results. My alternator was making a little noise so I replaced it and still the same. Tried an idler pulley and that didn't help either.

Water pump is new and the PS and A/C pulleys turn nice and seem tight. The tensioner has plenty of spring pressure. Belt lines up nice and doesn't show any signs of mis-alignment.

When it's idling I'll spray some belt dressing on it and the noise goes away and comes right back.

The only thing I can think of is I had an oil leak at the fuel block off plate and after I fixed that I degreased the motor. Thought maybe I had some residue left over so I cleaned the pulleys with brake clean but didn't help.

I'm hoping a good belt will solve my issue.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 169
If you have aftermarket pulleys they are likely causing your squealing belt slippage problem. I've used 630mm belt on some cars to get the most tension I can out of the tensioner. You need a 6 rib. The part number will have the number of ribs. 6356,635-6, 6635

BPE2013@hotmail.com

My pulleys are stock and I plan to do Earls bearing mod on my stock tens pulley. Had a little grease on the back side coming from the bearing. Using a made in china version for now.

Any recommendation on a brand of belt?

Thanks for the help.

I always use Gates belts and have never had a problem on any vehicle. I get mine from Car Quest.

Craig

What does the indicator on the tensioner say? Are you in or out of range. There was a cataloguing error in many listings that gives you the wrong look up on the belt for a TR. Glen at Highway Stars has the right one if you are all stock, it will fit perfectly and also some longer and shorter ones if you have changed something in the loop from stock. There it's a bit of a guessing game though as there is no exact reference to go by other than reading the tensioner and experimenting.

I believe the tensioner is within range and has good tension. Not sure what is causing the issue other than chemicals from cleaning up the oil leak on the pulleys.

Kirban two cents worth

You said in one of your posts you replaced the alternator. Make SURE the pulley on the alternator matches up exactly to your original. One reason I had to get that pulley made for the rebuilt units we do is because that pulley is a unique size on our cars. Its somethign that can be overlooked if you do not know to look for it.....

That might explain some of your serpentine belt issues.

again just a guess.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I replaced mine about a year ago with a AC Delco one and have no problems with it. I replaced my tensioner pulley with a AC Delco one, I bought a new AC Delco AC compressor. All my parts are AC Delco. No problems or noises.

Kirban two cents worth

You said in one of your posts you replaced the alternator. Make SURE the pulley on the alternator matches up exactly to your original. One reason I had to get that pulley made for the rebuilt units we do is because that pulley is a unique size on our cars. Its somethign that can be overlooked if you do not know to look for it.....

That might explain some of your serpentine belt issues.

again just a guess.

denniskirban@yahoo.com
This is a problem on a lot of cars. Alternators replaced and pulley not checked.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

My pulleys are stock and I plan to do Earls bearing mod on my stock tens pulley. Had a little grease on the back side coming from the bearing. Using a made in china version for now.

Any recommendation on a brand of belt?

Thanks for the help.
What mod is that?

Not really a mod. More of a bearing replacement with a quality unit instead of getting a plastic chinese pulley that may or may not be round.

Do the spray bottle test to determine what is causing your squeal. Spray the ribbed side of the belt with water while the engine is running. If the squeal goes away momentarily, then it's a pulley alignment issue. If the squeal doesn't change then it's a tension issue.

Thanks for the reply's. I did check the pulley from old to new alternator. They were the same but I don't think that was the original alternator. Looked way to new. I've only had the car 1 year. That mystery will never be solved because I don't have the old ALT anymore.

I guess I could have an alignment issue since I've never had a belt noise until installing the new engine. Not sure how I could have got things mis-aligned putting things back together so clue me in on where I could have something not spaced right? I lost all my pictures from pulling the motor apart on the stand so I put things back together the way it made sense and seemed like it had to go. No signs of mis-alignment on old or new belt? and it looks dead on eye balling it.

I have done the water test only with belt dressing. The noise goes away and comes back.

Other than what's been stated I did use some engine cleaner to clean up some oil at the front of the motor. Then used some oil dye to find the leak. I fixed it and cleaned the motor again at the front. Then I started to have belt noises. Maybe I have glazed the pulleys if you will with residue from the cleaning solutions?

I'll check everything again and get a quality belt and go from there. Thanks for the posts!

If you're trying to desqueak the exact belt that got doused in oil, try a new belt.