She is finally HOME!

DavidM

I've owned my 1984 Buick GN since May of 2009. I purchased it out in Phoenix, AZ from a local owner by the name of Richard. It had 85K Miles, an Intercooled transplant and a very solid street combo running high 11s low 12s.

Below are some of the pictures I took when I first purchased it.
oGN_zps1897032a.jpg

b756621e-cf00-46c9-85ab-623243329707_zpseb6be684.jpg

I drove the GN occasionally and put 5k miles on it the first year and a half of owning it. In the month of February 2011 I left for the service and the GN took a backseat and sat outside my mother-in-law's backyard.
In some unfortunate turn of events, the GN was experiencing knock issues while I was away and was then again put in the backseat and put in shut down mode. As life happens, care for it was not of primary concern and it wasn't until close to 2 years until I came back to AZ to deal with the GN.

Below are the photos of the reunion.
1a_zps5f398dc2.jpg

3a_zpsbcfa3ef1.jpg

As you can see, the GN is very filthy and paint is heavily oxidized.
I spent the first few days I was in AZ trying to clean up as much as I could.
Below are some of the photos of the cleaning process.
16a_zpscb28b4ae.jpg

19a_zps71e5288d.jpg

23a_zps3187b073.jpg

I took the car to Nick Micale for a complete engine rebuild.
Below are the photos of the GN being picked up and dropped off at Nick Micale's place.
24a_zpsbd6fdb8b.jpg

8a_zps15dc8a00.jpg

While the GN was in surgery, Nick Micale was nice enough to keep me updated and sent me photos as he progressed with the rebuild.
engine2_zpscad6d33a.jpg

Engine1_zpsee9225e5.jpg

After receiving expert care and other goodies from Nick Micale, I had the GN shipped from Phoenix to North Carolina.
Below are the photos when it first arrived on March 30th, 2013.
gn3_zps6dd0f1df.jpg

gn_zps8d499f93.jpg

As you can tell the paint is heavily oxidized from sitting under the grueling AZ sun for the past couple years.

I had purchased a set of HI/LO HIDs from Alradco.com back when he had a special on these.
Installation was very easy and connected to the factory wiring with no problems so far.
Below are some of the HID photos, the photo with the lights on was taken with the garage lights off.
HID1_zps59742700.jpg

HID2_zps68420a61.jpg

Below is a photo of the Engine Bay.
EngineBay_zps57042f6a.jpg

I tackled the oxidation this weekend. I went with basic Meguiar's products you can find at a parts store. I started with their Clay kit and moved on to 2 layers of their Ultimate Compound by hand. I still have another layer of Ultimate Compound to rub on and then I will move on to their Ultimate Polish. Not sure which Wax I will be going with. So far after just the Clay Bar and 2 layers of Ultimate Compound everything is looking NICE!! This stuff is definitely worth its weight in gold for its cheap price.

Below are photos after using the Clay Bar and 2 layers of the Ultimate Compound.
gn7_zps5821185a.jpg

gn6_zpsa1ef7b79.jpg

gn4_zps20b2f4be.jpg

Meguiars_zps0a9cd22b.jpg

The Build
*109 Block
*Stock Crankshaft
*206/206 Flat Tappet Hydraulic Cam
*100lbs Valve Springs
*0.030 TRW Forged Piston
*Stock Rods
*Ported Iron Heads/Intake
*80 LBS Injectors
*DW300 Fuel Pump
*3 Inch Downpipe with Y Pipe
*2.5 Inch Hookers Exhaust
*Stock Turbo
*Griffin Aluminum Radiator
*Derale Dual Fans 4,000 CFM
*Power Logger with TT 6.1, AEM Wideband, Julio's Fuel Transducer
*Stock Intercooler with Dutt Neck
*LS1 MAF with Translator (Thanks John AKA Meg's Dad)
*12" LU 2400

Last edited:
Congrats! Glad you brought her back to a good life. Nick is great; hope to meet him in person one day.

we4Mateo said:
Congrats! Glad you brought her back to a good life. Nick is great; hope to meet him in person one day.

Thank you WE4Mateo, all credit is due to Nick Micale/ArizonaGN. They did an awesome job! I would highly recommend Nick if anyone needs any work done.

Car is now looking awesome! The Clay Bar and Ultimate Compound has done an amazing job!!! :)

longball said:
Car is now looking awesome! The Clay Bar and Ultimate Compound has done an amazing job!!! :)

Yes it has, thank you. I will post a few more pictures after I put another layer of Compound and a few layers of Polish.

ALVAROG1983 said:
Wow it has come a long ways to bad u didn't keep the a/c in it.

I was planning on running an under the dash kit.
Looks like a kit for our cars is underway by Nick Micale and GBody Parts due to be revealed in May.

Ok guys,
Since I did not attend the TurboBuick.Com Nationals due to work, I had a bit of down time and blacked my interior out and changed front seats.

I was a bit skeptical of using a spray dye to change the color of the interior, but ended up going with Dupli Color Fabric and Vynil Gloss Black. Came out looking real good, the fabric itself was hard the first day but once it actually dries it is a bit softer. Only complain I have is I should of used a Flat black on the interior trim pieces such as the Pillar Gauge, center console etc as I had a hard time spraying these pieces without getting any runs.

As far as the seats I was looking at Jegs for a decent set until T-Type Tim posted a thread talking about these seats he bought from Summit which he had his neighbor reupholster. I checked them out and were in the ballpark of what I was looking for. They came as a complete set (Seats, Summit Seats to Scat Bracket, Vehicle specific Bracket). I usually don't order from Summit since they don't offer a military discount like Jegs, but I couldn't pass up on the deal. Plus it was free shipping too. As far as the seat, installation was straight forward. Only complain I have about the seats is that they sit really high up. Im 5'9 and can almost touch the headliner. Since driving the car twice with the new seats, I am actually used to it now.

Anyhow, next weekend I'll probably spray the rear Lear Siegler seats to match the all black look. (JK) :LOL::LOL:

Let me know what you think.

seats_zps3c680568.jpg

seats2_zps337510fb.jpg

gndw_zps9ddbfe12.jpg

Last edited:
I also forgot to add, the seats make a complete difference in the way the car feels.
Before I was able to feel a lot of the vibration in the seats. Not to mention the swashing around in the seats when taking a hard turn or taking off.
They really help smooth the ride out.

Wow looks good. Did the brackets need to be custom made? Or was this a straight bolt in setup for the grand national?

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

trixdout said:
Wow looks good. Did the brackets need to be custom made? Or was this a straight bolt in setup for the grand national?

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

TrixdOut,

This was a straight bolt in set up.
There are 3 items per seat.

1.You have the seats by Summit.
2.You have brackets that bolt to the bottom of the Summit Seats.
3.You have brackets that bolt to the bracket that is bolted to the bottom of the Summit seat. This bracket is what bolts down inside the car.

Everything lined up perfectly. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks

Wow, the paint restoration and the engine build look great. I didn't see any pictures of the seats you talk about (maybe not showing up due to computer issues).

On the car's firewall, is the heater box missing; or is there a cover over it?

turbokinetic said:
Wow, the paint restoration and the engine build look great. I didn't see any pictures of the seats you talk about (maybe not showing up due to computer issues).

On the car's firewall, is the heater box missing; or is there a cover over it?

Hi Turbokinetic,

The seat pictures are showing up for me.
I'll double check on a different computer.
As far as the heater Box, I removed the AC/Heater Box and installed a block off plate from GBodyParts.Com
One thing I hate is clutter, it DRIVES ME CRAZY!!
So I'm trying to clean everything up and have everything match.

Thank you

Hi Turbokinetic,

The seat pictures are showing up for me.
I'll double check on a different computer.
As far as the heater Box, I removed the AC/Heater Box and installed a block off plate from GBodyParts.Com
One thing I hate is clutter, it DRIVES ME CRAZY!!
So I'm trying to clean everything up and have everything match.

Thank you

Now I see them. I think I needed a reboot. Real racing seats, I can tell!

LOL about the clutter. I do agree, however I value the engineering challenges that come with a very powerful car that still retains all its factory features. One of my project goals with my turbo converted cars has been no loss of features.

Either way - super happy you didn't give up on her. That picture of the dusty engine was really sad. :)

David

That was an amazing transformation! Its good to see that you had the foresight to take all the pictures from start to finish. I always forget to take pics.:mad:

Dreamcar86 said:
That was an amazing transformation! Its good to see that you had the foresight to take all the pictures from start to finish. I always forget to take pics.:mad:

Thank you DreamCar86. Those are actually a few photos of what has been done. Every time I'm going to start a new project, I always tell myself that I'm going to take pictures but rarely do. Just get caught up in the project I guess.