You can type here any text you want

Shift Kit ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
My Tranny is stock and has never been into , When you leave and boost the car up she starts spinning when shifting to 2nd . The next upgrade will be a ta49 , 60 lbs injecters and a front mount . I have been told with that set up is as about as far as you wanna go before a stall converter . She shifts fine but with new upgrades soon will I be having some tranny issues ? Thanks Keith

My Tranny is stock and has never been into , When you leave and boost the car up she starts spinning when shifting to 2nd . The next upgrade will be a ta49 , 60 lbs injecters and a front mount . I have been told with that set up is as about as far as you wanna go before a stall converter . She shifts fine but with new upgrades soon will I be having some tranny issues ? Thanks Keith
Eventually, yes. If you run drag radials probably even sooner as the shifts will be harder on the trans due to the bite. You should be able to maximize the life of your stock trans by running street tires, installing a shift kit and perhaps a transcooler. Look up Dave Husek for his input. Other than that it will be on borrowed time, unfortunately.

Hey thanks 626GN , Street tires are on the car and drag radials has been one once . A trans cooler will be soon . Thanks Keith

Hey thanks 626GN , Street tires are on the car and drag radials has been one once . A trans cooler will be soon . Thanks Keith
No problem. I'm no trans expert mind you. Just regurgitating what one of the best 200-4R builders told to me when I asked the question.

A related question......if you install a shift kit, will it shift hard all the time , or just under significant boost? I have an upgraded "stock" TT chip and completely stock motor.

It will shift firmly during normal driving but I wouldn't call it hard shifts. It basically increases the pressure and the higher the engine revs the more pressure you'll get. So firm at lower speeds and harder at higher revs.

A related question......if you install a shift kit, will it shift hard all the time , or just under significant boost? I have an upgraded "stock" TT chip and completely stock motor.
That might be dependent on what kit. My GN used to shift very hard most the time with a modified Art Carr shift kit. Felt nice but I'm sure it was hard on the trans long term. A good shift kit should shift firm at light to part throttle and increase in firmness as the throttle increases.

That might be dependent on what kit. My GN used to shift very hard most the time with a modified Art Carr shift kit. Felt nice but I'm sure it was hard on the trans long term. A good shift kit should shift firm at light to part throttle and increase in firmness as the throttle increases.
Have a recommendation on a good street shift kit? Back " in the day " a tranny builder once told me that a shift kit can lengthen the life of the tranny because the clutches don't have much of a chance to slip. Is this true? Now, my knowledge of the inner workings of transmissions is about as much as my knowledge of quantum physics.......but I do know what a "quark" is.........and no it ain't a drunken goose yellin' ! hahahahah

Have a recommendation on a good street shift kit? Back " in the day " a tranny builder once told me that a shift kit can lengthen the life of the tranny because the clutches don't have much of a chance to slip. Is this true? Now, my knowledge of the inner workings of transmissions is about as much as my knowledge of quantum physics.......but I do know what a "quark" is.........and no it ain't a drunken goose yellin' ! hahahahah
Assuming you're in Ohio Extreme Automatics is local to you. Or PM David Husek on this board. He's in NY. Turbo Buick Performance 516-285-1103

Back