You can type here any text you want

Short Deck Indy Block??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rking

I already know the whole claim about if you are going stage 2 why not go with the big cubic inches. Several people have brought up the fact that some are making HUGE hp numbers with small cubic inches. But my question is, how would one of these work on the street?? Since they arent in high demand for the strip, why not make a killer street car?? I was thinking about getting one since I have quite a few stage part laying around, but would the small displacement be no fun for what I want on the street. What size stroke and rod does one of these even take?? TIA

Cory,

You really don't want one of these blocks unless you are thinking about making a flower planter. There are more parts that won't fit than will. They take a application specific cam since the Indy heads have square intake ports. The lifters are different not to mention the block deck surface is at least 1" shorter than stock. Basically nothing interchanges with a normal Stage II block.

Building a small displacement motor is fine but you'll have to turn some serious RPM and run a lot of boost neither of which is condusive to street use in my opinion. If you want to build a small motor that's cool but the short deck Indy blocks are boat anchors.

Neal

Neal,

Has anyone tried to make a set of indy heads work on a standard
stage 2 block. What do they flow???

John,

I was told but have not confirmed that John Gallina's SSDX car has a set of Indy heads on a standard Stage II block. I don't know what they flow. I seem to think Geno had a couple of sets maybe he can post pics for comparison. Gene are you out there?

Neal

Neal,

The picture I saw on the TA web page a couple months ago makes me believe that the Indy Heads should flow maybe 20% more than the Stage 2. That would put them in the 400cfm range.
That is what the Race SB2 and Ford Heads Flow.

Hey Guys,

John Gallina does have Indy heads on his car, they were welding the sqaure ports up last time I was at Duttweilers.

Rick Elam

Alan Witter ran 8.50's with Indy heads, Ron Ricketts car had Indy heads too and we went 9.0's with it at 20# weighing #3500.....they work just fine but hard to find plugs for!!
Bill

I've seen quite a few of these Indy square port heads. Nobody wants them. If these heads will work on a tall deck S2 block and if the plans include a sheet metal intake, those heads would be the ticket!!!

Bill, are the valve centerlines and combustion chambers suitable for our needs?

The converted 4 barrel intake is just an interim step for me.......and I know where I can get a set of these heads-new-....... now if I could only hit the lotto

DR

Mr. Anderson,

Thanks for the information.
Please tell us more if you get a chance.
Any flow numbers on these heads?

Cory,

As far as putting regular Stage II heads on an Indy block to the best of my knowledge the answer is "No" it won't work. Most things bizarre or not have been tried before so someone might have done it.

Neal

Back