You can type here any text you want

Shorter Water Pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FourOne

Is there a shorter water pump available? The stock water pump sticks out about an inch past the pulleys and I could use that space.

Originally posted by TurboBuickSix
What's the diff between our and the FWD motor one,that one is shorter if it fits.

Exact info on precisely what you're asking
is in the Buick Power Source Manual, but loaned mine out. It does fit...but...

Someone else will fill in the details...even has the GM part numbers in the BPSM...considered doing it once because the FWD water pump is approx. 3 times as efficient due to its design!!

If you are talking about the locating pin right in the center of the pump as to what is sticking out, just lop it off, that's what I did. Just leave enough "meat" to locate the pulley on the flange. I don't know why they made it so long in the first place unless other Regals without a sepertine pulley setup have deeper pulleys for more belts, just my guess.

Yes I recall the NA 3.8 uses most of the snout on the stock pump.I lost my BPSM some freakin where:mad:

What FWD cars used the Buick 3.8? I've only seen that GM 3.8 in FWD cars. I already cut the snout off a bit with a cut-off wheel.

They also call it the 3800.It is in millions of FWD cars,especially the full sized ones.I have one in my 91 Le Sabre for example.

So that 3.8 with the distributor in the back and the non-BOP trans bolt pattern uses a similar water pump to the Buick 3.8?

No,it has same type ignition as a GN without a distributor.It IS a Buick FWD 3.8 liter found in millions of full size GM FWD cars from the late 80's and thru 90's,.The trans bolt patter is for FWD only.

If you need the room better to cut the snout off the pump. To use the FWD water pump you also need to change the front timing cover and the fwd pump does not have the proper hub for a mechanical fan. You need to remember the I/C motors set up is a carry over from the V-belt/fan clutch days. A more or less direct qoute from the BPSM. Sorry for the bad news.

Eric Fisher

What timing cover would I need to get. I'm running that aftermarket cover, I think I got it at Bowling Green or some company like that. That was last year.

The only one that will work with the short WP was used on FWD 3.0 carb motors. A common application is 1982-1985 Buick Century and Olds Cierra. This cover will take the the high flow/volumn oil pumps from the turbo motors. Eric

I don't know why they made it so long in the first place unless other Regals without a sepertine pulley setup have deeper pulleys for more belts, just my guess.

I believe they make that shaft long both to accomodate multi-v pulleys, and to act as a pilot for a mechanical fan. The N/A 3.8's had both (mutli-v pulleys and mechanical fans). Since our water pump is the same as the N/A 3.8, we get stuck with the long shaft.

So, in a way, we got the shaft...

Back