Should be alot faster

highfreqftas

Went to the track this weekend, did not do anywhere near expected. 87 GN with 36lb inj. down pipe, stock turbo, chip, fuel pump, K and N. Original tires. Regular pump gas.

Did no better than 15.1 .....why Should be in the 13s.

Special note. when car drives and warms up on highway. if I get stuck in traffic and go 15-20mph the car chugs.

What is needed?

my stock GN with 86k miles also ran in the 15s.....how many miles...what chip..adjustable waste gate rod....

Do you have a boost gauge other than the factory one?

Scan tool is a must!

At cecil county dragway our all original 87 25k t-type ran 15.3 All we did was take the exhaust donut out off the turbo elbow to somewhat open the exhaust. It then ran 13.9 no other changes. Were not sure if the cat converter is clogged up or not it seems to run fine on the street

Chugging after warm up...probably torque converter solenoid sticking.

+9000 on the scantool. Need to check the tune. How bad are you spinning on the launch?

Scan tool again, where are you located maybe someone can help if you dont have one.

Racing these cars on the original tires is just plain stupid, not to mention dangerous.

What were your 60ft. times? 2.5? :p

What was the trap MPH?

Some decent traction might get you near a brand new cars times in the day, not bad for a 21 year old one. :)

You really need a scan tool and some electronics testing experience to check out the TCC solenoid as mentioned, to make sure the car is running properly before going to the track.

As a test you can unplug the electrical connection on the transmission and take a short drive and see if it chugs at low mph as mentioned.

That's a good start for what is needed, I'd also read the plugs to see how they look after racing, since you don't seem to have a scantool.

Went to the track this weekend, did not do anywhere near expected. 87 GN with 36lb inj. down pipe, stock turbo, chip, fuel pump, K and N. Original tires. Regular pump gas.
QUOTE]

sounds to me like he has a stock turbo,chip,fuel pump.....so 15's is about right...

mine ran high 14's stock. check your exhaust manifolds for cracks. mine was cracked and really held the car back.

Did no better than 15.1 .....why Should be in the 13s.

Special note. when car drives and warms up on highway. if I get stuck in traffic and go 15-20mph the car chugs.

What is needed?
first of all did you get the chip calibrated for the injectors? reason i ask is i now you are a newbee and if you are not smart enough to race this car without a scanmaster then maybe the other things you have on the car are not right. not bieng a smart ass just trying to help you. you could have a bone stock 21 year old gn and have cracked vacuum lines and go racing and overboost and the car is knocking all the way down the track and overboosting with you unaware whats going on. this is like a blind man going for a walk without his seeing eye dog. my dad just bought a 24,000 mile gn. all stock down to the plug wires and emision chip. well this thing was a dog even with everything on up to par. put in a chip, kn filter. fuelpump and hotwire. car still a dog but more responsive. then we took off the cat and put a testpipe and now the car will roast the tires at a 20 mph roll. if you have a cat it may be clogged. i would start by getting a scanmaster and reading up on Turbo Regal Web Site and do a spring cleaning before you race this car. x2 on the tcc solenoid it maybe sticking. unplug it on the driverside of the tranny just above the pan and see if it stops doing this.also change your fuel pump and install a hotwire kit the stock pump alone is a weak point. good luck brian

stock chip

You must run a chip for the 36lb injectors! You said you have the stock chip?

Bought my car with a new motor, but everything else was stock (intake, chip, injectors, exhaust, etc). Went to the track and ran 16.1 at 89mph. Got a new chip, scanmaster, K&N, AFR, adjustable wastgate. Took it to the track on 15 lbs of boost, it ran a 14.3 @ 98. Unbolted the exhaust behind the cat and ran 13.8 @103. This is with 2.1 60' times. Better exhaust, downpipe, race gas, 21lbs of boost and it was running 12.8 @ 108.

Point being, just some tuning, learning a little about the car and minor mods netted me 17mph and 3.3 seconds in the 1/4. These cars are 20 years old. Can't expect them to run right even stock after 20 years.

Man guys,i hate to say this but that pretty slow.I ran mid 13's just with bfg
drag radail 235/15/60 and hookers 2 1/2 exhaust.the rest of my car was bone stock.

ALSO when i first purchased my gn, that same week i had taken it to the track with the stock tire and ran 14.20

+9001 on the scantool!:)

my dad ran a best of 14.001 @ 99mph back in 1988, car was completely stock... of course he is a little man and the car is a very low option ttype with alum. rims and bumper reinforcements!

Man guys,i hate to say this but that pretty slow.I ran mid 13's just with bfg
drag radail 235/15/60 and hookers 2 1/2 exhaust.the rest of my car was bone stock.

ALSO when i first purchased my gn, that same week i had taken it to the track with the stock tire and ran 14.20

I agree. Problem with my car was plugged up exhaust, plugged cat, leaky original intake, etc. Once all that was taken care of the car ran high 13s practically stock.