You can type here any text you want

Should I put the original TTA spark plug wires on ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cottonpicker14

My 89 TTA has 28,000 original miles and is all stock with the exception of a 160 degree thermostat and a RJC powerplate.
It has aftermarket wires and I dont have the original ones. I recently purchased a set of original TTA AC Delco wires in the original packaging unopened.
I was thinking of putting them on.
Whats the opinion AND is there any negative to using them, such as the factory wires were not good, or aftermarkets are better, etc.
Thanks to all that respond.

Factory wires are fine to use but I would not use them. Luckly the owner of my TTA when new took the original plugs and plug wires off the car and put them away. I was handed them in a plastic bag when I purchased the car and that's where they will stay. I have Denso plugs and wires on the car and they are fine. Even say turbo on them ;) Personally I would not put those wires on the car. Keep them in the bag and take them to shows and show them to people. They are rare and soon you will not be able to find them at all!

I wouldn't put them on eithier unless your just into cars shows an such .. I took my off in 89 with 10k on them .... sold them on ebay :eek: :D

I would not use the brand new originals thats still in the wrapper. If you want to keep under the hood stock appearing, buy some used originals off of ebay and slap them on there. I purchased several sets on ebay for spares, you can find some sets without the metal heat sheilds for about $60..the heat shields just slip off, so buy those and slip the heat shields you have on them and use them away....

Now, about the quality of the factory wires as opposed to MSD's or aftermarkets....well, I would not use the factory wires if going much over the factory 16# of boost...my car started popping after I put the factory wires back on for a show and I had been running 20 psi boost....put the MSDs on there and popping went away....I ohm'd the wires and found the factory wires had over twice the resistance of the MSD wires....maybe a weak coil could have contributed too but the coil tested good all they way to 8k rpms on the Caspers simulator/coil tester.

Hi!

Just have to chime in here....as we craze Swedes says:

Put them in a vacuum bag and store them for decades.... then you put them up on Ebay. ;)

2QUIK6 said:
I would not use the brand new originals thats still in the wrapper. If you want to keep under the hood stock appearing, buy some used originals off of ebay and slap them on there. I purchased several sets on ebay for spares, you can find some sets without the metal heat sheilds for about $60..the heat shields just slip off, so buy those and slip the heat shields you have on them and use them away....

Now, about the quality of the factory wires as opposed to MSD's or aftermarkets....well, I would not use the factory wires if going much over the factory 16# of boost...my car started popping after I put the factory wires back on for a show and I had been running 20 psi boost....put the MSDs on there and popping went away....I ohm'd the wires and found the factory wires had over twice the resistance of the MSD wires....maybe a weak coil could have contributed too but the coil tested good all they way to 8k rpms on the Caspers simulator/coil tester.

I didn't have any problems with my stock wires running 18 psi with my PT51. I put some Taylors on there now though just to keep the originals nice looking and then I can use them for shows.

I would keep the ones you have wrapped up. They'll be very collectable as the years go by. I mean look what they're bringing now like $350+ and it's only going to increase.

Grumpy said:
hmmmm we have run 20-21 #s for years on them :rolleyes:
yeah, there could have been other reasons it was popping on me, but they did ohm out quit a bit higher than the MSDs...and if the coil was a little weak added with the higher resistance = just weak enough spark to get blown out. It is the factory original 16 year old coil and ignition mod.

Back