should i switch to a regular oil or stay w/ roetella

jetmech

I change my oil once a year(dont drive it much) it has a flat tappet cam. should i switch to a regular 10/30 and add the zddp or just keep the shell roetella . I mostly race the car about 3-4 times a year so aabout 20 passes and a few street miles.

I use Rotella + Zddp, I was using Royalpurple but I didn't like how dark the oil was so it was hard to tell when it was dirty? I think on the newer Rotella they have less zinc in it so just to be sure I use a bottle of zddp

I Do the same thing , change oil once a year , race the car a few times a year , drive it very little , I use Rotella and GM EOS ,

oil can go bad just sitting in the pan. kinda like brake fulid, it will absorb moisture and oxidize with the temprature changes and other natural changes.

A.j.

I would think EOS and any oil is fine, but EOS and a high ZDDP oil like Rotella T, Delo 400 or Delvac Super or their synthetic kin is overkill. I don't think it really can hurt, but I am not an oil chemist either.

I run Rotella T synthetic 5W40 in my L67 Supercharged 3800 and I run 15W40 Rotella T in everything else from my lawnmowers to my L29 454 Suburban.

The newest formulation of rotella (CJ+) has lower levels of zddp, not enough for a flat tappet. You will need an additive. Delo 400 LE mentioned above has just barely enough zddp for a flat tappet with moderate spring pressures, but not enough for ft break-in or super-high spring pressures.

I found one article that the CJ spec oils have still nearly 2x what the old SF oils had. I would think they have more than enough.

Break in always needs high levels.

I don't know if there is any harm in high levels, other than cat performance long term.

The newest formulation of rotella (CJ+) has lower levels of zddp, not enough for a flat tappet. You will need an additive. Delo 400 LE mentioned above has just barely enough zddp for a flat tappet with moderate spring pressures, but not enough for ft break-in or super-high spring pressures.