Should I upgrade my turbo again?

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
I am getting my trans totally rebuilt soon and I was wondering what stall speed to get. I will no longer be using the stock converter...That was the only reason why when I upgraded the turbo I went to a TE-44 because I had the stock converter. I want to use a 2800 or 3000 stall with this rebuild. My question is what turbo works the best with these stalls and how much more powerful are they compared to the TE-44 turbo? I just think running 25-27 psi on this turbo with the stock motor is outrageous and I want more punch on lower boost. Or is that even possible with unported heads? Basically I want to take full advantage of this new converter and trans when I get it. I am willing to sell my TE-44 for a larger turbo. I was looking at the TA-54 or maybe the TE-62 turbo? Or should I just keep my 44 and just keep the boost cranked high? Not sure what to do here. I want to go as fast as the stock motor will allow me.

A bigger turbo will not let you turn down the boost and make the same power. Well, a little bit just because it is more efficient, but it's not like you can run a 62 at 20 psi and get the same power as the 44 at 25 psi. To run lower boost and retain power you need to improve air flow thru the motor.

I added heads and a cam, plus ported intake tract and my TA-49 makes more power at 20 psi than it did at 24 psi last year. And the 24 psi was with alky. I'll still be able to make more power because once I start using alky again I should be able to increase the timing (and/or get a bigger turbo!).

Tom

Just want to make clear that I am not saying don't do it. I am just addressing the idea that a bigger turbo will let you make a significant reduction in boost and retain the same power. I personally like the idea of having a little too much turbo just so that it is not operating near the limits. It should also make some more power at your 25-27 psi level due to improved effeciency.

Tom

a bigger turbo by itself isn't gonna help much unless you run very high boost

keep the '44 until you can do heads etc and can take advantage of a bigger turbo