You can type here any text you want

Single or double bead lock?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

evil666

Hi guys
I was looking into champion billet wheels. One of the questions on the option list asks for single or double bead lock . Double is an extra 245$. Is it ok if I stick to a single bead lock? What does it change having double bead lock?
Thanks ahead of time.
Marco

I didn't know the answer to the question and had to do my own research on the topic...hopefully others with actual experience will chime in.

The one bead lock wheel will only provide clamping force on that side of the wheel and ultimately stiffen the sideway of the tire. The sidewall without the bead lock will flex more. So, if you have a wheel with double bead locks, both side will provide the same clamping force and side wall stiffness/flex. This will provide uniformity in the traction across the width of the tire.

But one of the issues will be fitment. The bolts on the inside can interfere with brake systems.

I don't know if that help your situation. But it was a good learning experience for me.

Thanks Deltabravo
Thanks for taking some time to do some research on the topic. Don't feel like putting a bead on the chassis side. First of all it is going to cost more money and I don't want any back spacing issues. But I need to find out if I put only on the front side if it is going to affect 60ft times.

Thanks Deltabravo
Thanks for taking some time to do some research on the topic. Don't feel like putting a bead on the chassis side. First of all it is going to cost more money and I don't want any back spacing issues. But I need to find out if I put only on the front side if it is going to affect 60ft times.

No prob... but I have no advice on the topic of your 60' time. Hopefully someone with experiences get in this topic. Until then...boost'it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I need to find out if I put only on the front side if it is going to affect 60ft times.

Why the bead locks to begin with? Getting tire slip on the rim?
Just my $.02. A difference in wall stiffness can result in weird wear patterns., different contact patch across the tire.
I'd guess a call to the wheel mfgr might provide a definitive answer.

Do it right the first time and go Dbl bead lock. It keeps both sidewalls equally loaded on launch which in turn makes for more consistent 60' times.

Radials single beadlock
Slicks double beadlock

If you are the point where you need beadlocks just double it.

I have Champion Billet wheels with a single beadlock . There was no change in 60' from non beadlock and no unusual tread wear . I'm at 1.54 60' right now . I don't see how a beadlock would effect the sidewall unless the tire was slipping on the rim . It only clamps the bead to the rim , not reinforce the side wall . Call Champion and ask . They will call you if you order just to confirm sizes , dimensions , colors , beadlock style , and so on . Don't forget your lugs !!
DSCN0468.JPG

Why the bead locks to begin with? Getting tire slip on the rim?
Just my $.02. A difference in wall stiffness can result in weird wear patterns., different contact patch across the tire.
I'd guess a call to the wheel mfgr might provide a definitive answer.
To be honest, no slip on the rim. I just love the look.

I have Champion Billet wheels with a single beadlock . There was no change in 60' from non beadlock and no unusual tread wear . I'm at 1.54 60' right now . I don't see how a beadlock would effect the sidewall unless the tire was slipping on the rim . It only clamps the bead to the rim , not reinforce the side wall . Call Champion and ask . They will call you if you order just to confirm sizes , dimensions , colors , beadlock style , and so on . Don't forget your lugs !!
View attachment 298113
Will call them when I get a chance. By the way I love your wheels. What back space did you get? Are those 8 inch wheels?

I run drag radials. When is the point, where you need to double the bead locks?

Radials have such a stiff sidewall you don't need a double beadlock. Just glue on the inside. My friend is running 7s with a single beadlock and a 275 drag radials.

Radials have such a stiff sidewall you don't need a double beadlock. Just glue on the inside. My friend is running 7s with a single beadlock and a 275 drag radials.

Oh yeah he also goes 1.23 60 ft.

Will call them when I get a chance. By the way I love your wheels. What back space did you get? Are those 8 inch wheels?
Thanks , they are 15x10 - 4" back space . My tire was 1" from the frame and would hit the fender , that's why when I upgraded my rearend to a 9" I had it narrowed 1 1/2" each side and did a frame notch . I had to keep air in the air bags to keep the tires off the fenders , as in the picture . I hated that look :vomit:

I knew it was time after I marked the wheel and tire and saw the tire was moving about 1/4 inch at every launch.

rear%20wheel%20Feb%201%202016_zpsxbpzvd9b.jpg
When you say that you knew it was time, cause your tire moved a 1/4 inch on the mag. Did you get yourself mags with the lock bead?
I run weld draglites as well right now, but I never checked to see if I spin the tire on the mag.
Like I said in my other comments, I was just looking into buying new mags for the car and I love the lock bead look.

Back