Single turbo 5.3 LM7 Vortec 5300

The Don

Banned
Me and "ITSNOTAGN" were discussing tubo v8s and i would like to build a non intercooled single turbo 5.3 LM7 Vortec 5300. These motors are more affordable than their bigger 6 litre counter part, but are they as stout structurally? I'm not looking to get too crazy. I would like a really reliable daily driver that I can occasionally take to the track and crack out some good times. I'm thinking somewhere around 10-13psi until I go intercooled. I would like a Single turbo LM7 to vaguely resemble a original TR engine bay(to the untrained eye). I'm not sure as to what tranny I should use, but I definatly want OD. I spoke with a tech from S&P performance and he said to go with the 4l60e. For wireharness some said speartech but I spoke with a tech from lt1350.com, and they had this to say...
"Our wiring harnesses interface with the existing vehicle's harness, so that everything from dashboard gauges to air conditioning functions as though it were factory. We offer complete gm wiring harness modifications on all gm performance engines from 1980 to 2007. We can take your existing harness and convert it to a 4-5 wire run harness. This includes installation of new fuel pump relay and high current waterproof cooling fan relay, data link connector, vats bypass and delete emissions if applicable, or complete California Emissions compliant and make it a complete no codes run, for about $300!"

I would like to go with dual 3 inch exhaust from torque tech. What do you recommed as far as downpipes. I inquired about a custom exhaust manifold @ with this weld shop. Make custom roll cages and stuff like that and he said to get a set of block hugger headers and then he can modify it so i can adapt a turbo to it. The headers I found that are ls1 gbodys are made by "schoenfeld headers" for $260ish. I was also goin to fab up a 2 1/2 cross over go. I would also need to retain a/c and powersteering. Do you know anyone who makes acessory brackets? I would like to keep as much of the oem components as possible. Any recommendations on what year make and model truck i should pull my drivetrain from?

Also whats all this i hear about turning the exhaust manifolds backwards and up instead of buying headers? I would be very interested in something like this. I'm really not trying to spend crazy money on this car. Like I said for right now i would like a quick daily driver. If I flippped the manifolds does any one have any recommmendations about how would i mount the turbo, down pipe and connect the cross over pipe without having a whole lotta pipes all over the top of my engine bay?

TTT for the Don, it sounds like an interesting project.
Let me see what we can do to help you.

Lets see if I can help you with a couple of things.

First, as for how strong those engines are, the block and crank have already been proven to 1000 horsepower, so no worries there on strength. A lot of people just do a piston and rod upgrade, but for what you want, that wont be necessary.

I have built a 5.3L before, and they are great, cause there are a ton of parts available since the 5.3, 5.7, and 6.0 are all the same platform, only difference is bore and heads. Accessory brackets are interchangeable for the different configurations. The intakes can be swapped from the truck to the car style. Everything is the same.

Here is a link that might help you with some questions.
LS-1 into a Grand National

As for using the stock truck manifolds, a lot of guys turn the manifolds backwards to run the hot parts in front of the engine to mount the turbo. This will obviously not look like the stock TR engine bay then, and I dont know what accessories you will still be able to run by doing that. Check out ls1tech.com and look under the forced induction section, that will help you quite a bit.

HTH

From my understanding, everyone uses the truck manifolds. But those engines are also in an F Body, so it might be a clearance issue.

FWIW, there is a post on ls1tech right now where a guy is making over 900 rwhp on a twin turbo through stock truck manifolds. So the manifolds flow enough to make power, if you can stand how they look ;) .

NONE of the manifolds will work facing forward. The frame rails are too close together, otherwise the crossmember is in the way. Also the 5.3 is a REALLY strong engine, and will take about 600hp forever. They have higher compression though and are only able to tolerate about 7-8psi.
Gary

higer compression is my enemy. Hey where did you get your brackets. everyone is saying nothing will fit.

NONE of the manifolds will work facing forward. The frame rails are too close together, otherwise the crossmember is in the way. Also the 5.3 is a REALLY strong engine, and will take about 600hp forever. They have higher compression though and are only able to tolerate about 7-8psi.
Gary

Do you have any newer pics of your car. I dont think I have seen any since you have had it completed :cool: .

well i am going to re-do my manifolds and y pipe this winter. i will take pics again if you want , but it will be alot different in the spring. I plan on mapping out and making nice forward facing mains, and i think im gonna make a few sets. LMK if anyone is interested. May make a couple sets of mounts as well, we'll see.
Gary

Gary

I missed this earlier when reading. The 5.3 lm7 has 9.5:1 comp which is most common. There is an all aluminum 5.3 with roughly 10:1 comp used in the SSR but they are rare. Engine code lm3 I think.

I think the pump gas tune on the fairmont is 8psi (10.9 et) and with c116 it is 18psi and has broken into the 9's :eek: The videos of the passes are in the link I posted.

I want to correct this statement somewhat. This falll i have learned that if you switch to a manual rack and pinion, like i am doing, you can use the stock manifold on the drivers side. The outlet is right in the indent for the steering box, pretty slick. Gotta make sure you cut off the EGR boss or get a manifold without EGR to clear the steering shaft.
Gary

any new info on this ..

fairmont is still running strong. ran a best of 9.49. hundreds and hundreds of runs in the 500-600rwhp level. stock 5.3 other than cam and springs. cheap mp70 turbo, mid 10's on pump gas at 8-9psi. our 5.3 cost $250 but we got a good deal. you can find them all day long around here for $450.

i think a single turbo 5.3 is a hard combo to beat if your on a budget.

fairmont is still running strong. ran a best of 9.49. hundreds and hundreds of runs in the 500-600rwhp level. stock 5.3 other than cam and springs. cheap mp70 turbo, mid 10's on pump gas at 8-9psi. our 5.3 cost $250 but we got a good deal. you can find them all day long around here for $450.

i think a single turbo 5.3 is a hard combo to beat if your on a budget.

Make a list......

5.3 engine
What tranny
what ecu
what tuner
alky??
what type of cam
what tye of springs?
etc

i think that is directed towards me.

turbo400 tranny with a brake
msd box for ignition control, runs stock ls1 coils and provides tach signal to the megasquirt
megasquirt for fuel. also runs fans, fuel pump and boost controler.
we tune it ourselfs, easy to do with the squirt. keep it safe and conservative. 15deg timing at wot and around 11.5-1
no alkey. pump gas up to 9psi, whatever kind of race fuel above 9psi.
used 2001 zo6 cam($75), patriot gold springs.

i think that is directed towards me.

turbo400 tranny with a brake
msd box for ignition control, runs stock ls1 coils and provides tach signal to the megasquirt
megasquirt for fuel. also runs fans, fuel pump and boost controler.
we tune it ourselfs, easy to do with the squirt. keep it safe and conservative. 15deg timing at wot and around 11.5-1
no alkey. pump gas up to 9psi, whatever kind of race fuel above 9psi.
used 2001 zo6 cam($75), patriot gold springs.

Damn nice. I remember when you took it up to MAM and raced that white Rustang. Damn nice pizza getter. Did you customized your headers? Post some pics

here is a vid of our best run >> 1320Video - The Fairmont's new 1/4 Mile Time

tons of pics of the build. it was ultra low budget. many parts were donated, stuff people had laying around. it is/was our goal to get the car on pinks but that isn't looking too hopefull.

here are the pics. my gallery got messed up so they are not in order. >> fairmont

we used the stock truck manifold pointing forward on the drivers side and made a manifold for the pasenger side.