Single turbo 5.3 LM7 Vortec 5300

there are lots of options with the ls motors.

for around $850 you can get a 6.0. better heads, more displacement. probably about the same max hp potential before it comes apart but more pump gas potential, better spool time...

for around $1000 you can get an all aluminum 5.3 and shave about 80lbs off the front of the car.

there are some killer new options that i dont know all the spacifics of. seems like a l92 motor will be a kick ass option when the price comes down. they are probbaly above $3k right now. 6.2L, really killer heads and intake, all aluminum. something like 400hp from the factory.

there are lots of options with the ls motors.

for around $850 you can get a 6.0. better heads, more displacement. probably about the same max hp potential before it comes apart but more pump gas potential, better spool time...

for around $1000 you can get an all aluminum 5.3 and shave about 80lbs off the front of the car.

there are some killer new options that i dont know all the spacifics of. seems like a l92 motor will be a kick ass option when the price comes down. they are probbaly above $3k right now. 6.2L, really killer heads and intake, all aluminum. something like 400hp from the factory.

you talking used right? Where are you finding these deals at?

That price is not going down anytime soon. They compare the L92 as a very close big brother to the LS3.

please send a l;ink to some low price LM7 motors ,I thought the Aluminum version of the lm7 was higher compression...or am I wrong... need link to some motors....

those prices are used and at our local junk yards. i would think every junk yard in the US would be overflowing with 5.3's for cheap but maybe it is just a midwest thing.

the prices for the iron 5.3 and iron 6.0 are just regulur prices around here. the ~1000 for the all aluminum 5.3 was on ebay. not sure how often they go that cheap or what the going rate is.

not sure on compresion on that 5.3 either but if it is 10-1 vs 9.5-1 it wouldnt bother me much.

as for the l92. there was a group of 3-4 new l92's that literaly fell off a train that some guy was selling on ls1tech. seems like he was asking $3400. they all had some kind of damage like a hole in the intake or a riped off coil pack.

53s.JPG

now please send link to the salvage yard locator you used above:eek:

that vortec looks so sweet in the engine bay of a ford:wink:

can you make another pasenger header..send price:biggrin:

i just went directly to the local junk yards web site but you can goto Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and look stuff up.

i could make a copy of that header but it wouldn't be super cheap. more than $500, less than $1000, i would have to add it up. it is all stainless with thick flanges and a vband flange going to the drivers side manifold. cant say for sure it would fit in anything but an lsx fairmont.

i just went directly to the local junk yards web site but you can goto Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and look stuff up.

i could make a copy of that header but it wouldn't be super cheap. more than $500, less than $1000, i would have to add it up. it is all stainless with thick flanges and a vband flange going to the drivers side manifold. cant say for sure it would fit in anything but an lsx fairmont.

What would be another 5.3l or l92 swap in a car that our area really hasn't seen before? Maybe a 79 Chevy malibu? Don't want to copy you because even though we live in the same area I will hear "look at that guy trying to copy Parish"! I am deployed with Jay, I think you know him. He had the trans-am 2002 yellow special edition.

i wasn't the first to do an ls1 in a fox body and i am sure i wont be the last. fox's are great for a low weight, great hooking cheap platform and the ls1 based motor kicks ass.

you could do anything rwd.

So lets say I have two stock Buick turbos and want to do a Twin Turbo on a 5.3. Would you say 3 psi is safe for those 5.3L:tongue:

So lets say I have two stock Buick turbos and want to do a Twin Turbo on a 5.3l. Would you say 3 psi is safe for those 5.3L:tongue:

:confused: i dont know if that is a real question since you are sticking your toung out at me.

5.3 is good for 6psi non intercooled. 9psi with an intercooler. not sure of absolute limit when running good fuel. we havent found it yet and have gone 9.50's at 15psi.

:confused: i dont know if that is a real question since you are sticking your toung out at me.

5.3 is good for 6psi non intercooled. 9psi with an intercooler. not sure of absolute limit when running good fuel. we havent found it yet and have gone 9.50's at 15psi.

It kinda was. I have two stock turbos at the house. I found a malibu around our area for cheap. Wife shot down that buy and told me to wait till my engine in my Buick goes.:frown: She is a buzz killer...:mad:
Direct quote yesterday through email since I am deployed

wifey said:
Okay, baby, what can I say...you like to start projects but can't you really finish them...and yeah it can wait until the buick blows.

So the "MAN" way I see this is:

Honey go ahead and buy the engine and tranny and whatever else you need to do the swap. Then when the engine blows you can make it a easy swap for yourself.

So why did you choose megasquirt over using the factory 5.3 computer?

i think that is directed towards me.

turbo400 tranny with a brake
msd box for ignition control, runs stock ls1 coils and provides tach signal to the megasquirt
megasquirt for fuel. also runs fans, fuel pump and boost controler.
we tune it ourselfs, easy to do with the squirt. keep it safe and conservative. 15deg timing at wot and around 11.5-1
no alkey. pump gas up to 9psi, whatever kind of race fuel above 9psi.
used 2001 zo6 cam($75), patriot gold springs.

So why did you choose megasquirt over using the factory 5.3 computer?

it is much easier to tune with especily every time you make a change like when you give it another 2psi or make a cam change. also the software and hardware to tune the factory computer isn't real cheap.

the 2 step on the msd kicks ass too.

Parish8:

How much would you charge Ball park range for a custom piping for a turbo kit and then a tune with the megasquirt? With the customer providing the intercooler, wastegate, and turbo(s)?

Parish8:

How much would you charge Ball park range for a custom piping for a turbo kit and then a tune with the megasquirt? With the customer providing the intercooler, wastegate, and turbo(s)?

thats kinda vague. pm me the exact set up.

typical for a squirt with install and decent tune is probably a little over $1000. more if it includes a trip to the dyno.