Slipping Factory Trans

HotAirGN

Been resurrecting my 87GN and could use some advice.
Finally got the car running, went for quick drives and car seemed to run and shift fine under boost.

Decide to drive 40 miles to get more small things done and on the way the car felt like the converter stayed locked at a stop and bogged the engine down. The entire trip, while going slow the car would shift terrible and just feel real sluggish.

Car rests and I drive it and car will break up over 8lbs of boost and not shift into 3rd.

End up putting gas in the car and adjust the TV cable and car is smooth, shifts fine, and will shift at WOT.

Have the transmission fluid and filter changed, Was told the fluid looked good at first but towards running out it started to become brown.

After transmission service was told the 1,2,3 shift seemed too fast.

Drove the car myself and couldn't notice a problem. Watch the RPM's with the scanmaster but nothing seemed too out of line.

Car has tires put on and told that there is an amount of trans slippage.

I drive the car myself and notice the slipping is bad from a stop to 1st, going into 2nd and have to let off before it will go into 3rd.

TV Cable was told to be not set right (should have been done right the first time) and adjusted again but still major slippage in all gears.

Was told there wasn't material in the pan when filter was changed but on Saturday I plan on dropping the trans to have it rebuilt.

Any ideas if changing the fluid set all this in motion? One recommendation is the the factory converter is gone. How would I know?

sometimes if they have alot of wear,or alot of miles servicing them makes things worse. if the convertor let go it would probably be noisey and the trans will now have a ton of crap ran thru it now

Sounds like the lockup solenoid was sticking when warm and you were trying to fix the problem by adjusting the T.V.cable. Not a good idea. Change the lockup solenoid and get the T.V. cable adjusted back to where it belongs.

It was my impression that the TCC affected the proper setting of OD and even if it was faulty 1-3 gears would not suffer.

The car now slips all gears when the car is cold and doesn't improve when the fluid temps rise.

The TCC is cheap so I will replace it anyhow and check for debris when the pan is dropped on Saturday. The T.V. cable is set to the correct position but problem is still there in opening gears.

Worst case trans comes out and gets a needed refresh anyways. I'm just not very good at diagnosing the transmission. Learning quickly though.

A faulty TCC solenoid can affect all shift timing but, wont cause Clutch slippage unless the TCC is what's actually slipping.
If the TV cable was loosened too much while trying to adjust shift timing the Clutches may be Toast.
Loose TV = Low Pressure.