Slop at output shaft

usaturbo

My GN with 120K miles has a vibration to it at 45-70 mph so I checked the u-joints and they seem OK, however the slip yoke/output shaft moves around about 1/4" in any direction. The yoke splines look fine. What would cause the output shaft to move around like this? All the weights appear intact on the driveshaft. Is there a bushing in there worn out, and if so is replacing the bushing with the trans in the car possible?

Thanks in advance.

Eric Weber
'87 GN 12.17@110 best

Your output shaft, by itself, will have a bunch of play in it. That's normal.

It should not have play, however, when the yoke is slid in place onto the shaft. If it does, you have a worn tailhousing bushing and/or worn yoke.

A mph-based vibration, as opposed to rpm-based, could also be wheel & tire related. You may have slung a wheel weight.

Yes it is slopping around with the yoke on the output shaft. Is this bushing replaceable with the trans in the car, or do all the guts have to come out? With 120K miles, maybe it's time for a freshening.

I have changed tires and wheels - no difference - same problem.....

Thanks Greg!

The bushing can be done in vehicle

The bushing can be done in car, but it takes a special tool that some trans shops may or may not have.

I pulled the tailshaft seal to have a look and as far as I could see the bushing looked OK - not down to the copper or anything, but I guess that the bushing or the yoke are the only things keeping the asssembly located. Does anyone know what the diameter and tolerance is for the yoke?