Sloppy Steering

Did you look at the steering system. With the car parked and someone shifting the wheel left and right a few degrees. Any play should be easy to see or feel.
The rag joint is only a problem if it's broken. A fresh one is as tight as any universal joint. I also do not like to omit the slip joint with these aftermarket shafts. When a body sitting on rubber bushings and the front left frame horn are wiggling around. Nothing in the steering box or column is ready to deal with length change.
Yes, I had my son move the steering wheel while I checked for play. It's one of the most confusing things I have ever seen. As soon as the wheel is moved, I can see the shaft and wheel start to move which seems like it would be perfect. I also checked the steering wheel itself for any play side to side, or up and down. Everything is new and seems to be adjusted correctly. I even went through and re-torqued all bolts including the steering box to frame. Nothing I do makes any difference, and I can't find anything else in the front end that could cause it, plus everything is brand new.
And as Chuck mentioned, my shaft has the slip joint built in also.

Camber -1 to 2 degrees
Caster +5 degrees
Toe in: 1/16" total

Is this what you asked for or is this what it is?

What do you have for tires?

A slip joint is not the same as the D shaft that collapses in an accident.

What front springs, stock?
Stock tire size, 215/65/15?

One possibility is what you're feeling is the cars springs are soft, high ride height and the small front tires aren't feeling like your hugging the road.

When I lowered the car and put 265/50/15 on the front the thing felt like it just hugged the road. I'll see now what new control arms and coil overs do but 2" drop springs and big tires really kept the car stable.

What front springs, stock?
Stock tire size, 215/65/15?

One possibility is what you're feeling is the cars springs are soft, high ride height and the small front tires aren't feeling like your hugging the road.

When I lowered the car and put 265/50/15 on the front the thing felt like it just hugged the road. I'll see now what new control arms and coil overs do but 2" drop springs and big tires really kept the car stable.
Stock springs, but they've been replaced.
Firestone 225/55 ZR16.

Why would rear control arms affect the steering?
If the rear axle is sloppy (loose bushings) it could move around and steer the car from the rear. Something more likely if there’s aftermarket stuff back there