slower e.t faster 60ft?

RGS87GN

sunday i went to the track for the first time, made a couple passes with some garbage 2.0 and 1.9 60ft times and both times went 11.6 at 119mph. now the strange thing is throughout the day i got my 60's down to a best of 1.67, and the car wouldnt go faster then 112mph, at roughly 11.8-12........on a completely unrelated topic, does anyone know how many 87 gn's were made with t-tops??? a buddy of mine just bought one and thinks only 500 of his car were made, kinda wanna kick him in the nuts.....thats what i do. thanks

sunday i went to the track for the first time, made a couple passes with some garbage 2.0 and 1.9 60ft times and both times went 11.6 at 119mph. now the strange thing is throughout the day i got my 60's down to a best of 1.67, and the car wouldnt go faster then 112mph, at roughly 11.8-12........on a completely unrelated topic, does anyone know how many 87 gn's were made with t-tops??? a buddy of mine just bought one and thinks only 500 of his car were made, kinda wanna kick him in the nuts.....thats what i do. thanks

You may have lower boost or knock if the mph went down. Do you have a scn tool? Kick your friend in the nuts.

nah i have a fast computer, the boost was still the same also. also how hard should i kick him? thousands of t-top cars were made right?

12........on a completely unrelated topic, does anyone know how many 87 gn's were made with t-tops??? a buddy of mine just bought one and thinks only 500 of his car were made, kinda wanna kick him in the nuts.....thats what i do. thanks
A lot were. I don't have raw numbers but I've been into these cars for 17+ years and I can only guess based on what I've seen on the streets and market. Best guess is probably 1/4 to 1/3 (5,000-7,000) had T roofs.

A lot were. I don't have raw numbers but I've been into these cars for 17+ years and I can only guess based on what I've seen on the streets and market. Best guess is probably 1/4 to 1/3 (5,000-7,000) had T roofs.

thank u sir, i just went over my time slips again, i went faster in the 8th mile on the good 60 ft. 7mph slower in the 1/4.....odd

on my best e.t run. the 8th was 95.60mph. quarter was 119.26. with a 1.908 60 ft

on my best 60 ft run it went 90.66 in the 8th. 112.03 in the quarter. with a 1.670 60 ft

when you better your 60ft the MPH will drop.. i found this out when i went back and fourth between slicks and drag radials

when you better your 60ft the MPH will drop.. i found this out when i went back and fourth between slicks and drag radials

really? that just doesnt sound right. im sure your right but just doesnt seems right.

really? that just doesnt sound right. im sure your right but just doesnt seems right.

u sound like me. i just dont want that information to be true haha. i like thinking im making 120mph runs and that if i can hook up ill be faster. seems odd but i know nothing about drag racing so who knows

when your 60ft is bad.. your MPH will go up, cause you are there longer " spending more time going down the track"

thats why i like to talk 60ft's and ET

when your 60ft is bad.. your MPH will go up, cause you are there longer " spending more time going down the track"

i understand what u mean. ive also been told that every tenth u shave off ure 60 ft should lower your e.t 2 tenths. so i was kinda shocked when i lowered it almost 3 tenths and was running slower

You will lose about 20hp to the ground with a slick over a radial, that is the mph drop. I have noticed less mph with worse 60's, because when you spin badly, you have less track to make speed. I went from 123mph with a 1.61 60' to 121mph with a 2.0 60'.

You will lose about 20hp to the ground with a slick over a radial, that is the mph drop. I have noticed less mph with worse 60's, because when you spin badly, you have less track to make speed. I went from 123mph with a 1.61 60' to 121mph with a 2.0 60'.

where did you get this info??? :confused:

im still confused about the better 60ft.= lower mph?! my thinking is if ur 60ft. time is 1.6 compared to a 2.0, u just got to 60ft. quicker meaning u should be moving faster at the 60ft. mark with a 1.6 right? so if u r going faster at the 60ft. mark there's still 1260ft to go on the track and the 1.6 60ft. is already at a higher mph!

wow i hope this makes sense cause im confused reading my own writing:confused:

Put 35psi in your slicks, and leave at 0 boost. Air them down to 10 or whatever you run, and leave at 0 boost, I bet you will see a 2 mph difference in favor of the higher psi. This was confirmed on a dyno. A radial will put more power to the ground from the stiffer construction.

that's because you're dragging the tire...less air more rolling resitiance....more air less drag.... and i still don't understand your theory about a better 60' giving you a slower speed...i'm pretty sure you can calculate your horsepower by your trap speed car weight and whatever else can't remember right now...point being you don't lose power when you gain traction...you might lose mph from less air in the tires to gain traction...i've never heard of anyone losing almost 10 mph cause they're hooking better... from my exp... maybe i'm wrong but ....joel

I haven't seen any speed difference vs. 60' times but then I quess it depends on your combo and why the 60' times vary. Is it because of tire spin, turbo spool time, air temperature, etc.? I have had 60' times vary from 2.30 to 1.87 but my speed was still 112mph. :confused:

nah i have a fast computer, the boost was still the same also. also how hard should i kick him? thousands of t-top cars were made right?

Yup, T-top 87 GN's are everywhere!! literally! Of the 20,000 87's I'd bet that at least 30% or more were T-Tops. Very common option that year.