You can type here any text you want

SLP Camaro SS goes down

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurBording

I was out cruising in the 87 GN tonight with my friend Joe with Joe manning the passenger seat and handing out the smart-ass remarks to unwary passers by. Joe also has an 87 GN but we decided to park his and ride together so we could shoot the sh*t and tell stories to each other about when we were young and when today's classics were still new cars. Where does the time go??? (Anyway, Joe also wanted to go for a rip in my car and get his annual "fix" in a real GN so I said, "Get in kid". (Sorry buddy ...:) ) Joe is also a 250 lb. kid so he brings a lot of dimension to the passenger seat. And thanks for adding a good 1/2 second to my run times Joe if I find a worthy opponent. :p

So we're cruising one of the local strips and Joe says, "There goes a silver Z28, let's see if he wants to race?" We've never formally raced my 87 nor gone up against much of anything but Joe insists it is a notably fast car. (I'll take your opinion on this one. Thanks Joe!)

After a bit of manuevering we finally do catch up with the Camaro in traffic and Joe - bless his heart - starts asking the guy if he wants to race a really fast car? Thanks again Joe .....

The guy in the Z28 says, "I know what those GNs can do," but Joe still tweaks his interest in going for a run so we agree to head off to some open road a few miles away. I'm sure the guy rethinks this and now wants to see how his car performs and enroute blows a few revs our way (friendly) just to let us know he's intends to run hard - and probably win, right!

While we're headed to the freeway Joe notes that this Camaro looks a bit different than the regular Camaros cruising the local streets and in particular, the dual-dual exhaust sticking out the back and the unique looking front end trim. "Something looks out of the ordinary here Joe. What have you gotten us into here buddy with your trash talkin?" A big thanks Joe .... buddy!

We finally get to the freeway with a nice two-lane merge ramp and find ourselves sitting pretty with no one behind and no one in front. It's just a nice clean open road. Joe says let's just go from a roll so we don't actually end up stopping on the freeway and the guy agrees. I immediately start dragging the brakes to try and build just a touch of boost for the launch but the Camaro is on it as soon as Joe finishes saying roll. Thanks for the advance warning Joe! ... buddy ... <g> Everybody needs a "Joe" as a ride along!

Well with no boost, a rolling start and a surprise launch from the Camaro we definitely didn't get the jump. The Camaro pulled at least a car length on us before I got enough coal fired into the boilers but we hit hard and the Camaro started giving back the lead. From there it simply got plain nasty.

We pulled the Camaro so hard that I got to watch Joe's head turn fully out the passenger window as we did a bye-bye to our LS1 friend. The GN pulled like a banshee and I finally called it quits when the speedo went well off the end of the dial. By that time we were definitely moving and at a speed that was way too fast for public roadways - but more interestingly - we were up there in front all by ourselves. The total run probably didn't last more than eight seconds until I hit the brakes but even after losing the jump we still pulled literally bus lengths on the poor Camaro. It was truly bus lengths and an evisceration is the best way to describe it. (Even kinda felt sorry to do this to nice a high-dollar GM car.)

Nah ....

We then slowed down for a quick chat across lanes while moving at which point the Camaro owner said, "I need to get a bottle for this thing." We thought maybe he was empty :confused:

"Is this guy running a bottle?" What the f*?????

We decide to give it another go again but this time we simply mashed the pedals while both of us are doing about 35 m.p.h. Once again we walk the Camaro - and badly. I wonder how much worse it would have been if I didn't have a 250 lb passenger dragging things down?

So with two Buick smack-downs applied, we both headed for a side street to trade war stories and inspect each others cars. It turns out this Camaro was different as it truly was different, being a 99 special SLP Camaro with all the toys and tricks installed. In addition it was only showing about 10K miles, making it a relatively new car and still all stock according to the owner who was an absolutely first-class guy. We talked a bit about the SLP Camaro SS and the improvements made as well as he said his car was rated at 300 rwhp. Very respectable and definitely a very unique car. See: http://www.camaroz28.com/articles/99camaross/

The owner did agree though that even though he purposefully cheated a bit on the first race that he couldn't believe how hard we walked him or how much space we opened up on him even while he was trying to make a good run - both times. He had a few excuses but everyone is entitled when you get spanked that hard. We had a nice chat and went our separate ways but I guess Joe was right, the GN is a very respectable ride. Thanks Joe!
_

Good kill. What major mods does your car have? SLP adds a lot of handling modifications to their cars, not just HP. But he should have at least put up a fight

Good one!

Good Kill dude!!!

List your mods & times plz...Those kinds of camaro's are pretty fast in their own right but are made to suffer serverly when they face our cars:D

Todd

COULDN'T STOP CHUCKLING!!!!!

>"Everybody needs a "Joe" as a ride along"
LMAO!!!!!!!! how so true!!!

Back