Smog Test Hell in CO

Brad Bartilson

So I failed the smog test miserably in CO (a dyno type test). I failed HC and CO badly passed easily on NOx. I have tried 3 of the Bosch O2 sensors, note that they all have shown low activity-<5 counts/frame. I have 42# Lucas Injectors (009s), a high flow cat, LS1 MAF with translator-plus set at 40% lean (I'm at mile high altitude, so its hard to run lean enough). I had passed 2 years ago with this car, but not with all the mods. My main question is-have others passed the dyno type test with these injectors? Do I need a special emissions chip to pass? (Costs me $25 for each try!)

Brad 87 TR

update

After reading thru similar threads, I see others passed with 009s, but with an emissions test chip. Where do I get one?

My test results: HC 9gpm (3 is limit) (failed)
CO 47gpm (20 is limit) (failed)
NOx 1.05 gpm (6 is limit) (passed)

Looks like I'm way too rich. I'm running 30psi fuel pressure. Even turning the Translator plus to 50% lean, I still can't get my EGT's to show above 1200F (I have two sensors -#1 and #2 cylinder exhausts).

You're engine is running rich. It appears MAFT+ will only affect idle and WOT fueltrim. So adjusting the the pots may not yield the desired results (as the emissions are tested off idle and accerating the 58MPH probably will not initiate WOT). You need to take fuel out accross the board and that is probably tied to FP. If you lean the mixture, the NOx will rise slightly, but should still pass, if you go too far, NOx will rise to failing and HC will fail, but CO will be extremly low (you'll be touching on lean misfire). Go leaner and the HC will rise further, CO will fall further and NOx will drop really low. At this point, the mixture will be so lean that there is not enough mixture to fire and cylinder temps will drop.