Smokes at idle

turbodaniel

clean air 1
Looking for some insight on what could be the problem. A couple minutes after a cold start Im getting blue smoke that only occurs at idle and when under vacuum. Under boost there is nothing..I pulled the plugs and they are all black and oily... could post pics if that helps

Now that I finally have some time to work on the car, I pulled the intercooler pipes and discovered a black oily film in the throttlebody and in the first 12 inches of the uppipe...with the rest of it dry, The downpipe is dry also as is the intercooler

My thought was my turbo could the issue, but if it was I would think both pipes would be oily.

Could this be a crankcase ventilation issue?

Last edited:
This is a blue smoke
no question its burning oil

What is baffling is the oily accumulation in the throttle body and the uppipe

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I may have this wrong but I believe they are vicons...I would have to check build sheet to make sure

With oil accumulation in the up pipe and throttle body it sounds like the shaft seal on the compressor is letting oil migrate into inlet air path. As a question what size drain line are you running on the turbo and where is is plumbed into?

Neal

Pretty sure Drain line is from gbody..kind you cut to length .......plumbed into usual location in block

If it is from the turbo, wouldn't there be oil in the turbo-to-intercooler pipe and in the inlet side of the intercooler? I'm guessing bad intake valve guides and/or seals coupled with a cam with lots of overlap so plenty of reversion to burp the oil that gets sucked past the seals into the intake port back up into the plenum. You could prove it by cleaning the plenum, then running the motor without the up pipe normally aspirated so no oil can get to the intake side from the turbo.

Carl,

I think you may be right. I went back and re-read the original post of where the oil is and isn't and since the intercooler is dry what I stated earlier doesn't apply.

Neal

Carl,

I think you may be right. I went back and re-read the original post of where the oil is and isn't and since the intercooler is dry what I stated earlier doesn't apply.

Neal

I have a hard time believing that the up pipe and TB can be oily and NOT the IC as well. The oil is probably just pooled at the bottom.

Thanks for the input..Been out of town the past few days...have the upipe off , gotta heat up the garage and start it and see what happens

I will post the results

Well now that's its finally warm enough here in Ohio for human existence, I am able to start the car without the up-pipe attached and it still smokes.
What I did find though is that this thing is coughing up so much oil, that there is oil accumulation in the plenum and on the back of the throttle blade
Could be bad valve guides or seals along with camoverlap like ijames mentioned or could bad rings do this as well?

I would start by looking at intake gasket sealing. Vacuum may be pulling in oil ,
AG

To know if it is a guide or seal issue, you need to pull the intake and headers and see if there is oil wetting the valve stems.

Well now that's its finally warm enough here in Ohio for human existence, I am able to start the car without the up-pipe attached and it still smokes.
What I did find though is that this thing is coughing up so much oil, that there is oil accumulation in the plenum and on the back of the throttle blade
Could be bad valve guides or seals along with camoverlap like ijames mentioned or could bad rings do this as well?

Or could just be a PCV..what does it look like under the vacuum block?
What type of intake gasket are you running?
GM style with the pan?
It might be sucking up too much oil

Other thing - your turbo can be leaking oil on the hot side, and you never really see it on the cold side.
It just burns off in the exhaust.

2 ideas