You can type here any text you want

smooth look bumpers?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fast4Ward

i'm on my first turbo buick and was wondering about the smooth look front and rear bumpers?
Are these the fiberglass? I'm not sure if the bumperettes come off?

you can get fiberglass bumpers, they are smooth.

or you could remove the bumperettes and rubber and weld up all the holes 9theres alot of them:eek: ) and repaint.

buickbert

You can do it!!!!

i'm on my first turbo buick and was wondering about the smooth look front and rear bumpers?
Are these the fiberglass? I'm not sure if the bumperettes come off?

Im having my bumpers smoothed right now. Bumperetts will come off. Lots of work after that. The body guy has 60 hrs in mine so far and thay are in primer.follow the link to pics on this board, Twords the end of the thread.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/277570-im-going-paint.html

mine are factory steel bumpers and I think look alot better than fiberglass. Alot of body work.....:eek:

You'll be better of buying fiberglass bumpers, and you'll save a whole bunch of weight in the process. I just had some gbodyparts.com bumpers installed which look great.

You'll be better of buying fiberglass bumpers, and you'll save a whole bunch of weight in the process.

X2

I don't even have 500 miles on my "Shaved" bumpers, and the front already has about 8 chips in it....

bumpers

I had fiberglass bumpers on my car, but deicded to replace them out of concern for safety after I'd seen how easily a fiberglass bumper gives at even a 5 mph bump. I took my steels (aluminum supports) to a local welding shop and one of the guys filled and smoothed them for $100. after that they were off to the body shop and sanded and sprayed with ecthing primer then a couple coats of black and clear. $400 later they look fantastic, 10x beter than fiberglass, and whats an extra 50 lbs. going to hurt a 3400 lbs. car? If a car doesn't see a whole lot of street action fiberglass bumpers are great but it's up to who ever is driving it. Dan

I had fiberglass bumpers on my car, but deicded to replace them out of concern for safety after I'd seen how easily a fiberglass bumper gives at even a 5 mph bump. I took my steels (aluminum supports) to a local welding shop and one of the guys filled and smoothed them for $100. after that they were off to the body shop and sanded and sprayed with ecthing primer then a couple coats of black and clear. $400 later they look fantastic, 10x beter than fiberglass, and whats an extra 50 lbs. going to hurt a 3400 lbs. car? If a car doesn't see a whole lot of street action fiberglass bumpers are great but it's up to who ever is driving it. Dan
Just wondering which shop did you bumpers were they local? Im in mi too and thats good info to have..;)

local

All was done locally down here in southwest mich. so it wouldn't quite be worth the drive for you. :biggrin:

If you can find someone that is a great welder and a body guy who can smooth out the bumpers with zero bondo, have them powdercoated, they should hold up much better.

Back