You can type here any text you want

Snapped RJC gurdle stud

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87we410877

Snapped pretty easily. Not to happy about that. Where can i get something that will have the hex made into the top for the allen wrench so i can tighten it down? OR should i just buy threded rod, cut to length and double nut the top to hold it while i torque it to the gurdle? THanks!!

They break easily if you side load them! They are actually allen set screws and are RRREEEEAAAALLLYYYY strong for clamping force but are brittle so if you smack it on the side with it screwed into the block it will break.
DO NOT USE ALL-THREAD!!!!!!! All-thread (galvanized rolled threaded rod) is not even strong enough to hold the torque called for in the directions (25 ftlbs if I remember correctly) Call RJC and see what he will do for you or take one of the other studs and go to a supply house (industrial not auto) or look up a bolt supply company local to you. The allen set screws are 28cents each where I got my replacements. Jon Hanson

Snapped pretty easily. Not to happy about that. Where can i get something that will have the hex made into the top for the allen wrench so i can tighten it down? OR should i just buy threded rod, cut to length and double nut the top to hold it while i torque it to the gurdle? THanks!!

Don't use threaded rod? You can find the studs in a good hardware strore , or try grainger - or use ARP carb studs.

we spent the $$$ for ARP studs ... worked great and no more broken studs :cool:

I just disassembled an engine and we had about 8 broken studs! I called Jason and he sent me a new set but we could not figure out why they broke. I had one hell of a time to remove the broken threads from the block (the studs are extremely hard and could not be drilled). we had to weld a rod to the stud then back them out with pliers.
Jeff

I just disassembled an engine and we had about 8 broken studs! I called Jason and he sent me a new set but we could not figure out why they broke. I had one hell of a time to remove the broken threads from the block (the studs are extremely hard and could not be drilled). we had to weld a rod to the stud then back them out with pliers.
Jeff

or as you are tightening them one more time the last few snap :eek: happened a few times when we were pushed for time .. after that experience we just spent the $$$ and got the ARP "stuff" (not cheap)

I thought that RJC used ARP studs.

hmmmmm Ive got a RJC girdle on the car, maybe I'd better check it closer,

I have bought three girdles...an Eastern Performance, a "well known brand" from the USA and the other "well known brand" from across the pond. The Eastern Performance came with ARP pan rail studs...the others did not. I reused my ARP's from the Eastern Performance girdle on my "well known brand" from USA. ;)

or as you are tightening them one more time the last few snap :eek: happened a few times when we were pushed for time .. after that experience we just spent the $$$ and got the ARP "stuff" (not cheap)

Whats the thread and stud size one needs to order from ARP? Im going to call and order a set of pan studs while mine is apart.

Whats the thread and stud size one needs to order from ARP? Im going to call and order a set of pan studs while mine is apart.

Bob just call them .. they will know what your talking about :cool: got a few sets from them :p

Thats funny, I always thought from the posts here that the reason the RJC girdle was superior to lets say Full Throttle China junk, was that RJC used ARP studs??? Since Mike can sell ARP with his kit at an extra cost on the side, or you just buy them yourself instead of his supplied studs like Grumpy did for his RJC girdle, (dont hear about the Full Throttle breaking???? has anyone???) seems that would make the girdles pretty close to the same then??

Am I thinking off base here??
Thats what I remember from old posts comparing the two girdles? RJC had ARP & Full Throttle had something less? Seems its not the 100% truth!! I deal with both Jason & Mike & each have LOTS to offer but Apples to Apples, I guess the ARP part of it doesnt really play into the "main concern" like I was led to believe??

Again, am I way off base here??
I would like to ask if Anyone has complaints of breaking the Full Throttle studs??
That would be interesting to know please! Thanks!

Don't know about Mikes .. We only had Jasons here on our old motors :cool: we are not nickle and dimers.. stud broke ya fix it .. thats "having fun" :p

very interesting!

I have purchased both, so I'm on both isdes of this fence.
but valid point!

Thats funny, I always thought from the posts here that the reason the RJC girdle was superior to lets say Full Throttle China junk, was that RJC used ARP studs??? Since Mike can sell ARP with his kit at an extra cost on the side, or you just buy them yourself instead of his supplied studs like Grumpy did for his RJC girdle, (dont hear about the Full Throttle breaking???? has anyone???) seems that would make the girdles pretty close to the same then??

Am I thinking off base here??
Thats what I remember from old posts comparing the two girdles? RJC had ARP & Full Throttle had something less? Seems its not the 100% truth!! I deal with both Jason & Mike & each have LOTS to offer but Apples to Apples, I guess the ARP part of it doesnt really play into the "main concern" like I was led to believe??

Again, am I way off base here??
I would like to ask if Anyone has complaints of breaking the Full Throttle studs??
That would be interesting to know please! Thanks!

I have purchased both, so I'm on both isdes of this fence.
but valid point!

Have you broken one of Mikes studs?? Thanks!

PS: Not out to slam anyone but i think my question is valid??
Saw so many China Junk & ARP is best but now I find they BOTH dont use ARP??? Interesting??

Back