So, ive got an '87 regal...

Quik393

Im in the process of converting a '87 n/a regal over to a small block chevy and just had a couple of questions.

Will I be able to keep all the accessory functions through the ecm?

Will the car throw codes or not run if Im not running a computer controlled engine or tranny?

What can I take out of the car without causing problems?

Will a TH350 cause any problems with the ecm?

I'm going to be replacing the gas tank and fuel lines with a fuel cell and braided lines. I'm also putting a TH350 in and a shortened 12-bolt. The motor isn't built yet, but I've got most of the parts for the shortblock. Its gonna be a 385 with AFR 195cc heads and a custom ground cam. Should be a nice reliable street car.

Mike

I've done this before.

It really depends on what you plan on doing with the car.

A point to look at since you are in Cali.....Emissions

What Carb are you using?

How big of cam?

Early or late TH350

I completly removed the ECM and have my mods in the signature for the 84 Regal.

I can be more of a help if you provide more basic information.

2 QK, I am primarily going to be using the car for strip duty but it will see a lot of street use. I'm not worried about smog because I have a couple of friends who are smog techs. Im putting a speed demon 750 on it with a cam similar to the Comp Xtreme Energy 284. 240/246 @.050 .507/.510 lift on a 110lsa. It should be fairly close to that. I dont have the tranny yet, what difference is there between the early/late th350's? I would really appreciate your help because Im going to try and get as much out of the car as I can today. Im leavin work early to go pick the car up. :D :D

Let me know if you need any more info.

Mike

If you're going with an aftermarket carb, why would you want to keep the ECM? The basic function of the ECM is fuel mixture and timing. Might as well remove it.

Ditch the ECM.

A couple of thing to keep in mind...

The V6 towers will have to be removed, I cut mine off.

You'll need motor mounts for a V8 Clamshell type, insert new rubber. These mounts will bolt to the forward most holes on the frame.

I suggest using a bigger radiator, perhaps out of an F-Body or the Griffin all aluminum racing radiator (Huge)

TH350, I belive the later models have plugs going to it. Just get an older one.

Removing stuff:
You can remove the A/C heater box, but forget about driving it in seasons that you need heat or Air.
Remove all the factor brackets and junk under the car that you won't use. you can remove the inner fender wells but forget about driving it in the rain.

Basically alls you need from the main wiring harness is the ignition wires, HEI plug for the distributor
Everything else just whack off. I'll probably think of more later.