So there I was...

KingLouis

The 13th
(long story, but true. I'm very greatful.)

2am in the morning. Middle of no where in NorCal. 87' Grand National with with maybe 22k miles at the time on the clock. She won't start. Fuel pump not kicking on. Not a good feeling.

Along comes a T-Type 86' Regal. Cocaine White. Gold Wire wheels. Hydro'ed out. Chromed out to the teeth. tucked n rolled guts. 3 Vatos jump out, wife beater and dickied down. Pretty excited to see a Grand National. You know what I'm thinking. Dudes ask what's the problem. I tell the my fuel pump is not kicking on. After them checking out what they could see of the car and talking to them for about 20 minutes as I called around to local 24hr shops and hearing the outrageous pricing. They offer up a tow, said they lived like 3 exits down and they had a garage full of tools I could use. I said "F" it. Whats the worst that could happen? Maggie isn't going no where's she can't even run. I already called my Girl told here my location that the Navi-system gave me. I gotta die someday. Plus they seemed cool.

Hydro's are handy.. Dude backs up his Regal pancakes the back bumper about 2 inches off the ground.. ties a kevlar strap he convienently had in the trunk to the back of his car and front of mines. Away we went. 3 exits later we pull up to a house with like 4 G-Bodies littered everywhere in different stages of repair. People still outside. Yeah. 2am.

Dude opens up his garage.. big ol' snap-on box. Engine on a stand. Another mint looking 86' T-Type under a tarp. They jump behind Maggie taking off their shirts to not touch the paint and push her in after disconnecting her, systematically.. almost as if they were waiting for me.

After meeting everyone and tell them the story how I lived in Alaska and I shipped it to Seattle and drove her down. N them checking the car out and amazed at the mileage.. He offers his shop and everything in it to me. Said I could crash there and work on it in the AM.

I amazed at all of this obliged. Thanked him for everything spent the rest of the night talking and drinking Coronas. These guys are really G-Body fans.

Next morning I awaken on some couch to some lil mexican dude starting at me about 5 years old. The smell in the house was awesome.. We ate it was the best breakfast. Man.

I go out to the garage & Maggie's covered. I'm like oh sh*t what did they steal. She was fine. I start snooping around. Fuel Pump not working could mean.. No Power.. so I start looking into the wiring. APPARENTLY THE GENIUS WHO OWNED THE CAR BEFORE ME... routed the wiring with no loom, no tie downs or correct connectors. He wired it over the axle on the rear left fender.. the wiring was rubbing and grounding out. After rewiring the entire fuel pump relays and all, I found out the fuel Pump was trashed.

Dude had a new Walbro 255lph fuel pump just sitting there on a shelf. This whole time I never had to go to the parts store.. for the relays.. the wiring... the pump...nothing. He even gave me a good idea as to what he does to kill the fuel pump.. He installed a remote switch in the line, hidden under the car in the frame rail.

After wrenching the whole day and dropping the tank and wiring. It was time to eat again, they had a big ol BBQ going. By this time all his homies were back and drinking beer. The carne' asada was great. These guys treated me like a old friend of theirs and were the most helpful & friendly I've ever seen.

I started Maggie up after we ate.. and they clapped. LOL.. thats cool as sh*t. Dude says pull it out and I'll have a lil dude wash it up for you. I was like no way man you've done too much. He insisted. She was clean n shiney and running again. My belly was full. I started to say my Good Bye's. Asked how much he wanted for everything. He got this look on his face of insult. He said the only thing he'd charge me was to stay another night and cruise with him and his homies. We rolled to Chino, CA. Single file in all our glory. Parked on the strip and just hung out. It was pretty cool being around all these lower riders bouncing around everywhere.. There was alot of old school muscle out there also. Very very impressive. It's fun to be around car guys, period. No matter what they drive.. Honda's to Mustang's.

The next morning.. They cruised me out to the highway, hydro's going like if it was a farewell to a old friend. Man.

To Chango in Red Bluff, Califas. Dude I owe you a few. The Palamino Club was fun. Your Homies were the coolest I've ever met. Your love for these cars is great one. Your hospitality was greater. I made some good friends. Thanks for everything.

Luis

Cool story

You can't always judge a book by it's cover. Not all vato locos are bad whether they roll on 20's or 13's they like their G-bodies. So many times just cause they're different or they dubbed out their G-body they get trashed on this site. Cool story thanks for sharing!

You can't always judge a book by it's cover. Not all vato locos are bad whether they roll on 20's or 13's they like their G-bodies. So many times just cause they're different or they dubbed out their G-body they get trashed on this site. Cool story thanks for sharing!

+1!

Ain't that the truth. You learn alot interacting with people. It's cool when people can just let their guard down and just talk cars. People like to stereo type just cuz of a movie or TV. I'll admit I was like awww sh*t when thoses dude jumped out their Regal. But all in all... they just showed me lots of love and respect.

Guess not all of us were blessed with an open mind or an oppertunity to open our minds.. In the end.. We're all just Buick Lovers. Thats what we should just be and nothing else.

that was some of the coolest shizz i've heard in a long time, hats of to those guys, I've always thought of a buick guys as a type of brotherhood. great story with some cool dudes

Awesome story, man. Must be nice to have someone stop to give ya a hand. When I first drove the regal with the SBC, my mechanical fuel pump broke, and instead of someone stopping to offer a hand, the people around here started throwing sh*t...I would have given anything for the car to fire up so I could have went after 'em.

Nice

Great thread. Nice to hear about cool TB people. Happy New Year.:)

what's "vatos"
"Vatos are like Cholos"

Thanks eveyone. It was one of the worst things to ever happen, automotively.But one of the coolest things to happen to me, personally. Glad ya'll enjoied it. Just seems like us Buick guys have each others back. It's really like a brotherhood.

Funny sh*t is that the guys with the Monte's in their lowrider crew got sh*t for having a Cheby. The dudes with the baddest cars and the rest of their crew looked up too, had 3.8t's. Even if the car was in need of work, they're Ts' were spotless & running strong. Lol.. We're all the same.

Nothing has changed. We just all have different names.

No it would not.

Calling someone a cholo or asking someone if they are a cholo is like asking if someone is a cowboy or a metalhead.

Vato is almost like dude. ex. Oye ese vato tiene un carro firme.
Translatation. The dude has a nice car.

Hope that helps.

LOL! When I was still living in Virginia, I got in a little fender bender with my GN. We were pulled off the road on Rte 7, and of course everyone up there loves to rubberneck, so traffic was backing up a bit. I had to sit there for a half an hour on the side of the road with assh**** riding past me cussing me out for messing up traffic and throwing sh*t at me. Yeah, Virginia is for Lovers.....riiiiiiight!

Cripes, I'm stting there with pretty much tears in my eyes looking at the damage to my pride and joy, and I have to deal with THAT crap? Like I WANTED to be in a wreck????????????

Nice story, glad you had that experience.

LOL! When I was still living in Virginia, I got in a little fender bender with my GN. We were pulled off the road on Rte 7, and of course everyone up there loves to rubberneck, so traffic was backing up a bit. I had to sit there for a half an hour on the side of the road with assh**** riding past me cussing me out for messing up traffic and throwing sh*t at me. Yeah, Virginia is for Lovers.....riiiiiiight!

Cripes, I'm stting there with pretty much tears in my eyes looking at the damage to my pride and joy, and I have to deal with THAT crap? Like I WANTED to be in a wreck????????????

Nice story, glad you had that experience.

Dude.. I would of prolly balled up and cried like a lil girl. Thats prolly the worst feeling ever. The north east coast is prolly where Maggie will never go. That place is nuts. BUT.. FLORIDA??? Shoot me a invite, there...lol.

Nice to see someone have a good experience out there.
I try to help anyone I can if I see a breakdown. I generally carry most of my hand tools in my car, along with a jumper box and air compressor. That jumper box has really come in handy.

That reminds me of the time my old Astro van lost its fuel pump in the middle of a busy intersection. It died at the worst possible place. A left hand only lane at a stoplight at a 4 way busy intersection in rush hour traffic.
I had so many people swearing at me and giving me the finger I was gonna break down. I had called AAA and they were on their way. I called the town cops and they tried to tell me that even though its a traffic hazard it wasnt their problem. I swear I sat in that lane at the light for 20 minutes before someone offered to help push it across the street into a parking lot. I thanked the guy so much and offered him some money, but he wouldn't take it. Its sad that so many people all just wanted to complain about it, but do nothing about it, including the local cops and the state police.
I got my chance to pay it forward months later when I came on a minor accident where a guy had wrecked his car into the guardrail after a tire blowout at 65mph. I made sure he was ok, called 911, and called his friends he was staying with. I stayed with him even after the cops got there and offered to take him wherever he needed to go, but the cops took him there instead.
I guess I've just never had a bad experience to make me think otherwise yet. I was raised in a small town where everyone knew everyone else, and everyone stopped to help you, even if you had a simple flat tire. Then I go and move, and I had two nasty incidents (the other was shearing off the studs and watching my rear tire pass me on the freeway) without anyone stopping to see if they could help. I sat on the side of the interstate for almost an hour with cars and trucks going by me at 65+ mph without a single person even slowing down or moving to the other lane, let alone seeing if I was ok.

Silver,

Thats what I'm saying.. What is it with most people these days? They act as if these things happen to you on purpose. I've witnessed people slowing down rubbernecking to just scream out stupidness to the poor guy who basicly had no real control over the issue with his car.

I try to do one good deed a day, just to keep the compassion going. But sometimes I guess a person can have a bad day. But 20 minutes worth of people with bad days as you sit on the side of the road? Thats sad.

When I was living in Alaska you couldnt pull over to make a phone call without someone stopping to see if everything was ok. The flip side is that if your car broke down and sat for more than 2 hours you would return to someone having smashed your windows in a drive by beer bottle'ing.

Strange.

Thanks for the reply.