So what is the top speed of a Stock 1987 Grand National

gbsean

We all know that the chip shut off fuel at 120 MPH due to engineers worried about front end lift and the rating of the tires. I was just re-reading the August 1987 Motor Trend Article and they asked the same question. Before chip mod I had mine up to 120 and it fell flat...after chip mod went up to 147 according to scan master before I let off...so what is top speed on a STOCK GN...the 147 was with adjustable waste gate...

We all know that the chip shut off fuel at 120 MPH due to engineers worried about front end lift and the rating of the tires. I was just re-reading the August 1987 Motor Trend Article and they asked the same question. Before chip mod I had mine up to 120 and it fell flat...after chip mod went up to 147 according to scan master before I let off...so what is top speed on a STOCK GN...the 147 was with adjustable waste gate...
We had a t type do 147 mph at the DPG in the cool weather.

I think mine cut out at 124 when stock.Stock gm chip and that was reading it off the snap on scanner because I had a digital dash.

Its that stock chip why my Dad and I were able to catch that GN with his vette back in '87

Its that stock chip why my Dad and I were able to catch that GN with his vette back in '87
No! !!!
The gn was only running on 5cylinders and the e brake was left on lol! !!!! :D

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

^maybe it was a hot air? Lol. I know we were going way too fast for the freeway

You caught a GN with a 80's vette? And back in '87? Must have been a 84-85. I thought maybe I read that wrong, the vette was stock?

Only because we were up past 135 and the GN must have had the stock speed limiting chip

Not sure, my dad says he saw 154 on it, but it had one of those fancy hypertech chips in it, haha

the Motor Trend Article had the 87 Vette running a top speed of 152... theoretically the GN could run 175mph based on drive line ratios but aerodynamics come into play...we all know the G-Body is a brick...I would guess 150 is about tops...but I will reach out to some Engineers and ask the same question,,and at 147 car was not stable..lol

I don't know myself how fast they would go but this brings back memories from college days back in 1988. My friend had an 87 T that ran high 12s at the time and we were students in East Texas. We had gone to Houston for the weekend to visit Lawrence Conley and do a little racing. On sunday it was time for our trip back to college going back up Hwy 59 to Nacogdoches. This was heavily traveled by other students and we ran into another who had a 1986 fuel injected Mustang GT. We only new the guy from casual conversation around the college and parking lots but he knew all about the Buicks and we had mutual respect. For fun we went up to around 125 mph where the Buick was still limited and he would pull ahead due to no limiter. He would slow down just to admire the event and this went along for a few miles.

It was a great time and a fond memory. We were not racing just enjoying the open road in two great vehicles of their day. Luckily none of the Texas DPS in their little notch back Mustangs were around. We ran a pair of radar detectors mounted at opposite ends of the vehicle just in case.

From gnttype.org

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/suspension/tired.html

Maximum Speed
To calculate the maximum speed of a vehicle, take:
Overall Tire Diameter X Achieved Engine RPM (redline)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- = Max Speed
Differential Ratio X Top Gear Ratio X 336

26" X 5250
--------------------------- = 177 mph
3.42 X 0.67 X 336

This differs from actual speed.
A stock turbo-Buick's actual top speed is in the 152 to 162 mph range.
The aerodynamics on these cars are nothing to write home about.