Solid rollers on a hydraulic roller cam ????

Is it a billet cam?

I'll hafta look at it... I don't think it is.

I have an entirely new top end coming from TA this week... and figured I'd ask the question before I button it up. I still need to measure pushrod lengths to get a set ordered... and if ever there was a time to make the change, it's now. :cool:

i wouldnt think there would be a difference seeing they are both rollers.Very good question.I wish i knew the answer.

i always heard if its a billet cam you could. but if it wasn't, it wasn't a good idea to do. but leave it to the professionals..:rolleyes:

I'll probably leave the hydraulics in there anyway...

I'm not sure what lifters they are... they have the shrouded wheel, but this motor was put together before the Morels came out.

Do the Comp lifters use a shrouded design too ?

I'll grab a pic of them and maybe someone can ID them for me. :cool:

DSC074462.jpg

DSC074442.jpg

DSC074432.jpg

I ran solid lifters on a hydraulic roller cam. It was a billet cam. I wouldn't want to try it on a ductile roller cam.

Neal

I tried that on my first comp 218-212 cam. Not a billet cam. The spring pressure caused the roller to make a groove on the backside of the cam. Not like a grinding, but just a worn spot you could feel with your nail.

Pretty much what I thought too... Solid roller grinds are billet anyway, so I expected that'd be OK.

I have a cast/ductile roller... so I decided to just leave the hydraulic lifters in it anyway.

The motor is back in the car now, and should be running in the next day or so.

If I ever decide to go solids, it will be in an entirely different motor. :cool:

I don’t think it matters if it’s a billet cam or cast. You can run solid rollers on a cam ground for hydraulic lifters; as you can run hydraulic on a cam ground for solid lifters. Neither will work as well as if you ran the correct lifters on the cam as it is designed for. A billet cam just has a chance of surviving a little longer.

Hydraulic lifter cams still have a clearance ramp ground into them; that will keep the solid lifter from being adjusted properly. Bison addressed this (I believe) by saying they could be run with a tight lash.

Still it’s not a good idea. Otherwise; there’d only be one cam listed in the catalog.

Yeah, it was just a random thought... and I figured I'd ask...;)

I put the motor back together with the hyd lifters that were in it before.
Since going to adjustable rockers, everything is nice & quiet now... so I will leave the hydraulics in. :D