Some problems with ECU malfunctions

lemonhead

Hi all,

I am a new member just picked up my 87 T at the beginning of this summer! Love it sold my 98 Camaro SS and have ventured into the turbo world.

anyways When I first got the car everything ran great. I tucked the ECU back into the interior panel and thats where my problems began I believe. I think there is a leakage from the A-pillar on the passenger side where the ECU sits. After I washed the car drove it for about 10 minutes and the ECU cut out, scanmaster cut, check engine light started blinking.

After a few weeks let the car sit in my garage took apart the connectors to find water reside in the ECU connectors and the plugs green/corroded. I took the ECU let it dry for a week, and cleaned all of the connectors. Put it back in fired right up no problems. Ran perfect. A week later same thing. Scanmaster loses connection and check engine light blinking. Clean the connectors car starts back up.

After cleaning them put some die-electric grease in there and ran it.

Recorded some numbers from the Scanmaster this weekend

O2 milivolts go between 0.00 – 780 range

Will sit around 600 range than drop down to 100 range and back and forth sometimes hitting 000

Drove it down the street with around 2-3 psi and could watch the milivolts drop out low.

AF – 06
LB – 41
6AE - 13.6
INT – 131
BL – 136
CLE – 165
AES – 90
R – 825
EPS - .44
IAC – 41

MAL sometimes comes up with 51 for bad ePROM. It drove fine and did not stall on me. Reved a few times in my driveway and blew some black smoke out onto the ground from exhaust. ( possible fuel mappings are outta whack? )

Greddy Boost controller sits at idle between -75 -- -85 range

At this point I think there is a problem with the ECU being water damaged and might start off by replacing that first. I need an ECU modified for Low Impedance injectors. Any input is greatly appreciated I just want to get the car back up and running again. Thanks!

Yeah its sounds like the ecm is going out. Just curious are the 55# injectors you have low impedance? You could try to get a stock ecm if they are still high impedance.

It may just be EPROM socket corrosion.

Might be worth further attempts at cleaning.

Due to the cost of low Z mods.

Yes they are low impedance as stated. I took the entire computer apart and cleaned everywhere there is a connection made.

Cleaned the Eprom chip again. took it for a spin. Running same as it did before. I am wondering if it is normal for the milivolts to drop down to around 040 or so range. I know they will jump around when driving but should it drop that low?

Also wondering if it is ever normal for it to go to 000. It seems to be doing that if i give it a good amount of gas let it build boost then get off it. I will see the milivolts drop down to 000 for about 2 cycles.

On occasion I have seen 000 after full throttle & then getting off it real quickly. You may consider the newer injectors like 60's from Eric at TurboTweak Home with a chip burnt for your combo if the ECM is indeed toast. probably cheaper than a mooded ECM in the long run.

Mine drops to a very low number including 000 on closed throttle decel on both cars. At least 2 cycles.

It's normal. :)

salvagev6 I took the chip out exactly as if I were installing a new chip (disconnected the orange wire while ECU was plugged in) Took that TT chip out and scraped the crap outta it with a screw point to make sure all bare metal was showing. Popped it back in and drove it around ran PERFECT. There still must have been reminents of corrosion on the chip somehow but it looks like it is all cleared out. Idles around 760 milivolts range now as it did before. That might have been it! Thanks!

How has it been acting lately? I would have checked sooner, but I just saw this thread today.

Slalvage, that's my old ride BTW.

Just as a backround on that problem to help possible diag: I never had that issue until I had the car up a Cotton's right before I sold it to have the axle bearings done. What happened is I left it up there for a little over a week while they were closed for racing. It happened to be the week when it rained almost every day. Car started running rough about 1/2 mile from the shop. Luckily, Brian was behind me and saw I was having an issue. Pulled over and right away he went to the ECM. Sure enough the connector was wet. Blew it out and brought it back home. Cleaned all the contacts out and dried everything up. Didn't have a problem again until I got an email from lemonhead a while after he bought it.:frown: And of course we did beat the snot out of the car when he came up to check it out.:biggrin:

I hope everything is well. Nick, Give me a call if you need anything.

Oh that car, it wasn't driven enough that's the problem! :p

Scrape with a dull pocket knife gently on edge not a screw point. :eek:

Lemonheads. :biggrin:

PS: You bought a good car. :cool: