You can type here any text you want

somethings not right....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbodiesel6_6

I would like to thank you for letting me join the group as i am a new member, and also a new owner of an 87 Grand National. I have a few questions for those of you experts. When i start the car, when its cold, i have a very rough idle and it almost dies. When the car warms up its rough also. When i drive the car down the road it seems like it has no kick.....showing like 3 to 4 psi of boost revving it up. Also another question, my tach is all the way lit up, any ideas on what that could be? It also shows like a pound or two of boost at idle...i wouldnt think that would be correct. I have an ez scan tool, and can monitor live data, and at idle its showing the motor under 45% load....WOW i dont think thats right either, im hoping someone can point me in the right direction here, hopefully i can wake this car up.... thank you in advance!!

your load is probably correct, some engines have a harder time idleing then crusing. Your tach will always be inaccurate as well as stock boost guage. Get an aftermarket boost and tach. Go to gnttype.org and do the spring cleaning

have you tried the spring cleaning at mentioned @ gnttype.org & checked for vaccum leaks, etc... i also recommend getting a scanmaster as a basic diagnostic tool

My car idled really rough when i first got it and started it. I changed all of the vaccum lines, and it idles fine now, it runs a whole lot better now also.

Hmmm whats does a scanmaster do that an easy scan wont? just curious i will google for more info....i cannot hear the turbo spool at all on this car... i dont think its mking any boost...maybe im wrong....are the turbos noisy on these cars? Im used to diesels, i have a Duramax and u definatley know when it spools. I am going to go for a tuneup soon....i cant really drive it alot, cause it has what i think is a bad brake booster.. brake light, hard pedal..ect.

If you have a cold air intake you WILL hear it spool. Did your turbo take a dump? Hook up a boost guage

Yes it has a cold air.....is there anything electronic that would keep it from spooling...im guessing its mechanical.......i dont have a boost gauge so i suppose i need to get one...where is the best place to tap in at?

there is a wategate solenoid thats electrical and that controls the wastegate which is mechanical. You can tap into the stock MAP sensor on the pass side fender. definatly get a guage. Also you can take the intake off the turbo and spin the wheel by hand to see if its siezed.

Back