Speaker Relocation

Baron Von Buick

Big White Guy
Hi all, This is the plan i want to eliminate the front dash speakers and put speakers on the door, now How exactly do i go about running the wires to the door? Also anyone know a specific speakers that would go well with this system? i plan to change the rear speakers to 6x9's and install speakers on the doors. i have a Sony Xplod CDX-C5000X, a 300w Jensen 3/2/1 channel amp, and 2 12" subs.

BTW- i got a great deal on 2 12's and a 300 amp;)

Hope you plan on putting the high freq. drivers some where besides the door. High freq. sound is very directional and needs a direct path to your ears. That is why the factory put them high in the dash board. You can build custom kick panel pods to allow the tweeters to be aimed toward your ears. The sound will have a better chance of making it to your ears with the pods. You will definetly get all the high freq. sound with the dash location.

I'm not a "building" type of person can i buy these pods that aim torwards my ears? also what should i do about the dash speakers then, What would you do if you had my equipment?

If you're putting them in your 26,000 mile car, then I wouldn't cut it all up. For dash speakers, I'd go with a mid/tweet combo. A biampable one. So you can run a crossover from either the amp of a seperate one. That way you can fine tune it to make it sound right for your ears. I definately wouldn't cut up the doors to put a speaker in it, unless you make a whole new door panel, and save your original. If I were to recommend something to you, I would have a kick panel pod made and put a pair of seperates in there. The difference in sound is like night and day. It's your car though. Remember that whatever you do, make sure its done right, so if you sell it, some potential buyer will "not buy" your car because of the whole you cut.

I don't know if Q-forms makes one the the GN. but crutchfield should has a listing if they do. The might run you about $180 if they do. You can have a set custom made at a local shop for probably $300 for the pair, plus speakers. So I would guess, less than $500 total, and you'd be happy you didn't cut the car, you sound is in your face, loud as can be, and it's removable.

Or get a very good set of 3 1/2's and then get the factory premium sound covers and put a good pair of 5 1/4's or 6 1/2's in the door factory location to supplement the lack of bass from the 3 1/2's. That's how mine is and to me it sounds as good as the kick panels without any cutting and looks completly stock.