You can type here any text you want

Spindle question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

IrvJr

I see alot about fixing the front suspension geometry. Does the S10 spindle, or F body spindle, correct any of those issues? I want to start upgrading the brakes so i figure the suspension is also a good thing to attack at the same time.

The S10 and B-Body Spindle swaps allow for bigger Brakes. The B-body spindles are taller so the camber curve is better, but the height of the steering arm results in bump steer and they really need a different upper control arm. The S-10 spindles are basically the same geometry of stock spindles.

Taller ball joints can give a better camber curve to the stock spindles or S-10 spindles, without as many bumpsteer issues as the B spindles and you can still use the stock upper arms.

AFX spindles give the proper geometry, the good camber curve and big brakes AND faster steering with no bumpsteer, while being lighter, which is why they are more $.

So an S10 spindle with a taller ball joint is an improvement. What rotors and calipers can we use that have the same bolt pattern? Iirc, we have a pretty standard bolt pattern.

I will add to UNGN here. You can get taller upper and lower ball joints and get closer to the AFX spindle for less cash. The 98-02 Blazer 4 door 2WD spindle give you a bigger rotor and dual piston calipers that will fit in most 15" wheels.

The AFX spindle is the best solution but the $$ is the reason most don't go with them.

I was just going to ask this same question. I am running to the bone yard to grab the things I need for the rear-disc conversion and the front S10 spindle conversion with brakes. Where can I get the taller ball joints? I am hoping my car will handle stupendously with the hotchkis control arms, Hellwig bar, and S10 spindles.

I was just going to ask this same question. I am running to the bone yard to grab the things I need for the rear-disc conversion and the front S10 spindle conversion with brakes. Where can I get the taller ball joints? I am hoping my car will handle stupendously with the hotchkis control arms, Hellwig bar, and S10 spindles.

let me know how you make out looking for those spindals...lol..jus mean i looked all over the place in mass n couldnt find a set....if u do see if they got an extra set , id like to grab some for my other ttype....as for taller balljoints i went with the howe upper and lowers that sc&c carries....nice but $$$ at 75 ea if i remember right....but have adjustable preload and are rebuildable.....not sure if the afcos are or not....

let me know how you make out looking for those spindals...lol..jus mean i looked all over the place in mass n couldnt find a set....if u do see if they got an extra set , id like to grab some for my other ttype....as for taller balljoints i went with the howe upper and lowers that sc&c carries....nice but $$$ at 75 ea if i remember right....but have adjustable preload and are rebuildable.....not sure if the afcos are or not....

If I find another set, I can grab them for you if you want depending on the price. I don't like to carry that much money in Brockton...

Great info guys, thanks. Is there a taller ball joint for a stock vehicle that we can buy?

If I find another set, I can grab them for you if you want depending on the price. I don't like to carry that much money in Brockton...
. Are u goin to everetts? They have a hole ton a 4wd blazers but no 2wd ones....at least when I went there last,which was a few weeks ago... I thought someone said those will work too but I'm not sure....Joel

Great info guys, thanks. Is there a taller ball joint for a stock vehicle that we can buy?
. Well I think that the the sthowes and afcos ock control arms....bottom def will..but its suggested to get the upper adjustables to better help with setting up ur alinment after....call mark at sc&c ....he'll let u know...Joel

I think the howes and afcos will work *****

I will be going to Everett's. If not I have a couple near by like Middleboro auto Salvage that can help. Im heading out this weekend, so if I find any I will let yo know.

I'm probably going to try the Proforged taller balljoints when I piece my car together.

They work with no mods to the upper or lower control arms, or the spindles. Some of the others need special arms or the spindle holes reamed.

Does Proforged or AFCO offer taller lowers as well? What's the best improvement? Uppers? Lowers? or both? Thanks, Scott

Upper or lower are an improvement but both will give you the most improvement Scott. Id you do a little research on this it's something the dirt track cars have been doing for a long time. The upper you can use is an early 80 chevy/gmc 1/2 ton upper but I'm not sure which lower you need.The truck uppers should work without reaming the holes out if I remember right.:)

The Howe balljoints don't require reaming the spindal and I'm almost positive they will "work" with stock control arms....def lowers as that's what s on my car now..I also used the afco steel lower control ARM bushings that have a nylon I believe insert that's greasable ...and believe it or not.....my car rides great..actually I was surprised at the ride quality....I also am using the spc adjustable uppers with steel bearings....although I did just recently buy a set of spc lowers that I have yet to install ....just remeber that when using the taller upper and lower balljoints the car will drop almost n other inch...so if u already have lowering springs take this into consideration when thinking about tire size n wheel offset and brakes ....ask me y I know.....LOL.. one reason I got the spc lower with the adj ride height kit....Joel

Does Proforged or AFCO offer taller lowers as well? What's the best improvement? Uppers? Lowers? or both? Thanks, Scott

Yes, they have both uppers/lowers if you go to the link and search for an '87 Buick GNX. They are on page 2.

I was going to order both when I get closer to tearing my car apart.

OK, so let's see if I got this right. When dealing with stock spindles. The HOWE taller balljoints top and bottom are a direct bolt in and the PROFORGED and AFCO taller ball joints are cheaper but the hole has to be reamed for them to work? Hopefully I have this wrong and the PROFORGED/AFCO's are also direct fit. There's no mention on either site that was referenced that indicates modifications are necessary. Thanks again! Scott

The Proforged require no reaming. They work with stock arms and stock spindle holes.

Back