You can type here any text you want

SPOHN/BMR/HR anti-roll bars

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WH1_T-Type

Just looking around and trying to get some information on the different types of bars and what makes them good/bad and whether or not they are streetable.

Here is the SPOHN 'drag' bar

Spohn Performance :: 1978 - 1987 GM G-Body >> Suspension >> Sway Bars & Accessories >> G-Body Pro-Series Rear Drag Sway Bar

On that one I can see how the thicker design would help on the strip, but how about on the street? I noticed that HRparts bar a bit thinner then the above bar, I've read some pretty good things about their bar both street and strip. Is the difference in size translating to a better behavior on the street?

HRpartsNstuff "Your WWW performance parts supplier" (can't seem to link right to their bars for some reason)

Then there is this bar also from SPOHN

Spohn Performance :: 1978 - 1987 GM G-Body >> Suspension >> Sway Bars & Accessories >> Pro-Touring Adjustable Rear Sway Bar - 1978-1987 GM G-Body

This one is a bit thinner as well (actually quite a bit), but is adjustable. Is this more of the type designed for street/strip vice soley strip? What about the adjustablity of it? Has anyone had any experience with these two bars?

Also the BMR bar.

BMR Fabrication Inc. (scroll down a bit)

Thick again. Mentions drag racing. But how does it behave on the street?

Thanks for any input.

Please keep in mind, not really looking for a COMPARISON between the bars...but for what the different thicknessess and styles DO for the cars.

I run the Spohn Pro-Touring bar. It is designed for better handling, and has adjustability for that end. I would say it is Not the best choice for strip or even street/strip use. :biggrin:

Of the other three, I think they would all be very similar in their effectiveness for strip and street/strip use. One feature of the HR Parts bar that sets it apart is that it is hollow, and thus noticeably lighter (but no less strength). ;)

IMO :cool:

Thanks for the answer. Did you see an improvement on the street or strip with that thinner bar? Also, did you have to move the brake lines or anything to install the bar?

I use the BMR bar and it works great on the street and strip. Made a huge difference in handling from stock rear sway bay. Car used to push through corners, after installing bar the car turned when the steering wheel turned.

id have to say the Bmr is pretty damn good i had one on 3 of my cars and it was good on the street and working like nothing else on the track i had the drag bar 1-3/4 i think i liked it, I went to the bmr arfter a spohn and it was night and day, never had a H&R to compare with

Thanks for the answer. Did you see an improvement on the street or strip with that thinner bar? Also, did you have to move the brake lines or anything to install the bar?

I am very happy with it, but with all the other mods (Watts Link, etc.) it's tough to determine how much of a difference the bar alone made. Again, it's designed for handling, and I don't think it would be the best choice if going to the strip. I did have to move the brake lines a little to install the axle mounting brackets.

pics here: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/2136006-post77.html

Just a thought

Something to look at it how the bars are attached to the rear,the HR bar is unique to the others and far suppior,as it holds the mounts better.:rolleyes:As stated earlier the HR bar is hollow and let's face it these cars are no light weights.The hallow bar is also more effective in controlling twist.Finally HR is a supporting member and a heck of a good vendor for our dinasaurs.:eek:Just saying.Good luck with your project.

Kevin

Appreciate the input...but not really looking for vendor comparisons. More about the results of the different thickness bars/setups/etc.., also, the three bars actually hook into the frame in a very similar manner and all pretty much claim to use a heat forged, 4130 molly metal with grade 8 hardware. Hollow is something though....lower weight....

Which actually brings in a more interesting question: it seems that the other two 'drag' bars are using the thickness and weight to hold the car flat. The HR bar has the same general thickness and same general mount style so it really comes down to how are they holding the car flat? Is just the size really enough to do that (sure seems to be) and if so, why don't the other brands go to a hollow bar?

I am very happy with it, but with all the other mods (Watts Link, etc.) it's tough to determine how much of a difference the bar alone made. Again, it's designed for handling, and I don't think it would be the best choice if going to the strip. I did have to move the brake lines a little to install the axle mounting brackets.

pics here: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/2136006-post77.html

Better then stock all around then, just not the best for the strip. Do you think that is because of the thinner bar or the set up in general?

I use the BMR bar and it works great on the street and strip. Made a huge difference in handling from stock rear sway bay. Car used to push through corners, after installing bar the car turned when the steering wheel turned.

id have to say the Bmr is pretty damn good i had one on 3 of my cars and it was good on the street and working like nothing else on the track i had the drag bar 1-3/4 i think i liked it, I went to the bmr arfter a spohn and it was night and day, never had a H&R to compare with

Thanks guys. Did you weld in the bars or did you bolt them in?

Boogeyman: which Spohn did you have? The thinner pro-touring or the thicker drag bar?

Thanks guys. Did you weld in the bars or did you bolt them in?

Boogeyman: which Spohn did you have? The thinner pro-touring or the thicker drag bar?

Originally just bolted in but when it came time to use it at the track I decided to weld the mounts to the housing. Handled and performed the same but I felt more confident in case I used the t-brake.

My other regal had the wolf setup and the BMR bar on this car hooks the same for the times I am currently running but is much quieter then the wolf and handles much better. I am talking mid 9's power right now.

What do you think may cause it to be quieter? The types of mounts or something along those lines?

sway bar

i had stock rear bar and then went to the Full Throttle Speed which seemed to be a pop off ofthe the old ATR bar.It improved handling dramaticly ,was very heavy and made the lower control arms squeak in turns where they bolted in.Still liked the ride alot.60 foots were 2.0 or so.
Next went to HR lower control arms and saw 60`s go to 1.8 consistently off a foot brake no boost.
Next used HR sway bar and again saw 60`s drop to 1.6 off foot brake no boost.
The HR is a great piece and drives with great manners on the street too.I think its critical to be very precise when installing and closely follow the directions.I think doing it off the wrong lift is impossible.Seems to need a drive on to have the load on as adjusted.

Better then stock all around then, just not the best for the strip. Do you think that is because of the thinner bar or the set up in general?

The thinner bar is needed more for handling, as it is more of a balanced total "package", both front and rear. Road feel, predictability, and balance being key factors. Total elimination of body lean is Not the best thing for handling.
For drag racing, though, the thicker bars are needed, as Total elimination of body lean IS the goal. When bringing the front end off the ground (as many do) you need to maximize traction by keeping the body weight evenly distributed over both wheels. Lots of good pictures on the vendors websites showing this.
:biggrin:

When GM built a better front bar for the Camaro they used a hollow bar,aftermarket racing bars like prostockers use a hollow bar.I think their is more their than we think.Just an observation.:rolleyes:I really like the way the HR bar mounts to the rear,it kind of bites in.We have 2 locals in stock eliminator that have the HR bar,nice fit,light and improved 60 ft times in both cars.:rolleyes:Just some observations.Hope this helps.

Kevin

The thinner bar is needed more for handling, as it is more of a balanced total "package", both front and rear. Road feel, predictability, and balance being key factors. Total elimination of body lean is Not the best thing for handling.
For drag racing, though, the thicker bars are needed, as Total elimination of body lean IS the goal. When bringing the front end off the ground (as many do) you need to maximize traction by keeping the body weight evenly distributed over both wheels. Lots of good pictures on the vendors websites showing this.
:biggrin:

Ok, I get it. The thinner bar allows more of a roll and that is better for putting the car through turns while the thicker holds the car straighter. Thanks. I was mainly wondering about that part since all three of the bars I listed actually mount in a similar way and I didn't think that the size differences would make that much of a change.

When GM built a better front bar for the Camaro they used a hollow bar,aftermarket racing bars like prostockers use a hollow bar.I think their is more their than we think.Just an observation.:rolleyes:I really like the way the HR bar mounts to the rear,it kind of bites in.We have 2 locals in stock eliminator that have the HR bar,nice fit,light and improved 60 ft times in both cars.:rolleyes:Just some observations.Hope this helps.

Kevin

That's what makes me wonder about the hollow bar, the fact that OEM ones are that way in certain instances. But that lends the question; why don't the other companies go hollow? Is it more expensive to produce and they don't feel it is worth it? hmmmm...

I don't know about the manufacturing costs, but I will tell you that when I pulled the stock front sway bar off the Buick, it weighed considerably more than the much larger 36mm hollow bar. Probably shaved off at least 15 pounds or so. I would probably only go with hollow from now on just because I was so impressed with that one.

I have not used any other bar on our TSM car. I contemplated using an upper cross bar with end links because I didn’t think a hollow tube under the axle would be as effective. I chose to go with the HR bar because of weight and the ability to route the dual 3” exhaust over the axle and out the rear of the car. I also recognized the fact that they support several of the Buick events.

So far we have several low 1.3 60 foot times under our belt. One thing I have learned is that no matter what I throw at the car it is going to leave level and go straight. It also helps having guys like Paul Pherry and Dave England of HR parts N stuff at the track watching the car and suggesting minor adjustments.

Sorry I cannot compare it to another, but I would never consider installing something else on our car. It works very well on the street too. It makes up for not having the front sway bar.

Attachments

• wheels up.JPG
    wheels up.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 349
Back