You can type here any text you want

Stage 2 heads...coolant bypass??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbodave231

Anybody using stage 2 heads and 4 bbl intake bother plumbing in the coolant thermostat bypass hose? Or just block off the port in the front cover? Mac in SD.....What did you do??

I'm mocking everything up now. If the guys at Turbonetics ever get their sh-t together, I might finish this project.

Dave

Dave, I just drilled a few holes in the thermostat flange to prevent water pump cavitation - basically to let some water move through the pump. I drilled 4 1/8 inch holes. Then I connected the heater hose nipple on the pump intake to the bypass nipple on the front cover. (I haven't hooke up my heater core yet.)

But here's what I think I learned: I drilled too many holes and it takes the engine a long time to warm up. I'd only drill two, if I were doing it again. I've got the engine out in order to fix a cracked ATR header weld (no way you can get to some of those passenger-side bolts), and I'm going to plumb for the bypass hose fitting.

(I'm also going to get my fuel rail hold-downs squared away, FYI Kendall. :D)

Be ready, Dave. You're gonna love it!

I tapped and plumbed it just because. The trickier part for me was the waterneck clearing the turbo intake and stock location throttle body. CSI swivel neck and careful selecxtion of hard lines cured that.
Greg Kring

I had the engine mocked up the other day and I noticed that the turbo inlet and the upper rad hose are going to be a problem. I'm thinking that I can probably go under the inlet with the hose.

Short block is now assembled, degreeing cam tomorrow!!!
DR

Back