You can type here any text you want

Stage 2 project for Andy Filson

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

postal

Peoples champ runner up
I've made some post in here about my stage 2 twin turbo TTA project that I've been working on. Well due to a terrible accident my life has been changed forever. One of my very best friends in this world died a coule weeks ago, at the young age of only 22 years old. His name was Andew Filson and he was a great young man. He was also my nephew from my oldest sister. We where only 13yrs difference in age and where more like close brothers.

Andy owned a 1987 GN that he bought from me when he was 19. I helped him buy the car by making it affordable, and co-signing the loan. I helped him get it back together, and then spent the next three years planning, wheeling and dealing, and wrenching with him to get the car to perform as strong as we could. He ran an 11.78 on pump gas through the muffler last summer. That was last summer not in the cooler fall and that was done on a bone stock long block and a stock intercooler! Please keep in mind that we did this on a college student's miniscule bidget. To top it off the kid owned the car only 3 years, and he still raced it two consecutive years at the nats, turned 12.2 on pump gas in the heat, and drove the car all the way back to Illinois both times undamaged. Andy was very proud of his car and what he had accomplished with it. This was no young silver spoon, this was a guy who struggled for every thing he had, and every thing he had he earned. ALL things considered who wouldn't tip thier hat to him?

Andy's dream was too some day have a stage2 motor in his GN.

Andy's father Jeff and his mother Jill want me to have Andy's car. The car is apart because of the latest round of mods we had planned and Jeff and Jill wanted me to get it back together, drive it, take it to the nats, race it, and never ever sell it. My nephew, close friend, and little brother ment more to me than that. I'm going to finish his dream and make the car a stage2 powered street machine. So my car will be put on hold for a couple of years and I will do my best to set Andy's car up as best as I possibly can. Anything short of my very best may exceed other peoples expectations but I would never be able to accept anything less. I hope that when its all done that Jeff and Jill will have no doubts that they made the right decision. I hope Andy's other familly members and friends will never doubt it either.

The most challenging part of this is that I feel its important to race the car at the nats next spring. The time frame I have is going to make this a very lofty goal. It will be very difficult to get all the pieces together and to get all the work done by then. The time frame will also make this very challenging for me finacially. Thers a saying that says "where theres a will theres a way", I hope I have enough will to find the way.

Sooo.......

If your in Kentucky next year at the nats and you see a car with Andy Filson stenciled on the window please stop by to check it out. Take the time to say hi and introduce your self, and maybe root for it when it makes a pass. If you do root for the car please don't root for me, please holler out "Go ANDY!" because I know in my heart thats who the co-pilot is going to be.

Please include Andy in your prayers, and maybe a word or two to god about helping me make this happen.

Jason Loftus
aka "uncle Jason" or Jay for short

a long standing bet between me and andy was free drinks at bowling green to the winner of a race between us. jason and i have agreed to race at bg 2006 just as andy would have wanted. in all honesty i would hate to win but i think it would be an insult to andy to throw the race. i hope to be an integral part in the buildup of andy's car and would appreciate any help and/or advice from the tb.com members. i know that with the help of everyone, we can make andy very proud.

-surej

Andy is in my prayers as well as your entire family. I think its a heart warming project, good luck Jason.

Allan

Good Luck with your project. My thoughts and prayers are with you & your family. Hope to see/meet you in B.G. next year.
Chris

I am very sorry to hear about your loss.
You should mention what your need to finish the car.
Maybe some of the people with extra can be part of Andy's Dream.

God Bless

I am very sorry to hear about your loss.
You should mention what your need to finish the car.

Most of the parts I need are the big ones and are pricey. I'm sure the little ones will add up but its just really hard to predict all the little stuff thats going to be needed for something like this. I will post a partial list below and if any body had one of these items laying around that they could offer me for a good price that would be awesome and greatly appriciated. There was also a paypal account set up so people could make donations towards this. Its set up to go to Andy's dad who will then pass it on to me. If some one from this board did make a donation please indicate that your a turbobuick person and please include your board name. This account was set up buy automotive forums which has 360,000 members and so far it has raised $25. That kind of sucks that only one person out of so many has donated, but atleast it shows that we're not completely alone on this. The paypal account is:

filson@insightbb.com

Heath Hunter (cplhunter)
Jack Cotton
Prasad Elamena (wickedv6)
Surej (Dr Boost)
Roger Davis (Nashty)

Are turbo buick members who have already stepped up to help me make this happen. I would like to thank them all publically on this board. Thats a good group of guys listed and I'm greatful they're there for me, but I knew they all would be because I know what kind of guys they are.

Anyone else who is willing to step up and help out in anyway at all will put this project one step closer to being possible. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Andy was a fine young man. He was a youth group leader for his church. He was kind and loyal to his familly and friends. He was a young college graduate. He had a dream and he was worthy of having it finished for him a thousand times over. The turbobuick members who knew Andy personally will all say with 100% honesty that Andy was always VERY appreciative of any and all help he recieved over the years.

Jason

The short list for now:

Big turbo
6.5" oncenter wide journal rods, maybe even a partial set because I have a broken set of carrillos.
push rods for stage 2 heads
gaskets
160# injectors
Big fuel pump
turbo 400 trans and convetor
9" ford center section
Throttle body adapter for 4bbl intake
70mm or bigger throttle body
Down pipe for 4 bolt turbo and atr stage 2 headers
big fuel press regulator
dry sump lines and fittings
fuel cell
big racing style mufler
big wheels (the car is going to be tubbed)
big slicks
manual steering R&P

Pretty much anything that will be needed to set up a car for a stage 2 motor. So even if its not in this list I will but it is required, then I'll need it.

Thank you: Jason Loftus
postal@mchsi.com
309-253-7991

Looks like I'll be adding Odell Cantrell to the list of people helping us out with this.

Thanks OC

Jasaon

yes, Andy had two pieces of a stage motor. He had a 3.590 crank and a nice on center block.

Jason

postal said:
yes, Andy had two pieces of a stage motor. He had a 3.590 crank and a nice on center block.

Jason

What size bore is it. I may have some used JE (4.00 bore) pistons avalible.
Chris

Odell Cantrell is hooking me up with a set of pistons. The bore of this block is only 3.910" and he has a good used set of 3.930" pistons for a stage 2 headed motor with a 3.590" crank and 6.5" rod combo. I do appreciate you inquiring about the pistons for this. It really makes you feel that your doing a good thing when you see people wanting to try to help out.

Jason Loftus
309-253-7991

BUICKTR Just offered me a nice set of Carrillos for a real nice price. So thanks to him I'm now one step closer.

Jason

I have the original set of coil overs that were on the back of the Metro too. They are 16" extended ones. I have a set of too stiff springs too.

I have (1) 15X8.5 Autodrag that's yours too if you can use it.

You should come over some time and go through the garage with me.

Wanna go to the World Series of Drag Racing @ Cordova? I'm planning on taking the camper and maybe spending the night. That would be a good time. I'll have to remember to wear (2) pair of underwear though. :eek:

Roger: I will probably be interested in the coil overs.

Wanna go to the World Series of Drag Racing @ Cordova? I'm planning on taking the camper and maybe spending the night. That would be a good time. I'll have to remember to wear (2) pair of underwear though.

Work has me on 3rd shift 6 days a weeks for atleast another month. Because this is a union job I'm getting time and a half for working out side my normal schedule. So I would like to thank Mike Floyd, Jim Phillips, and Randy Scott for giving me the opportunity to do this.

Because of this schedule the best I can shoot for is to go to Morroco and spend the night. I'll call you in the next day or two Roger.

I would also like to thank Walt Judy (1320n10) for helping me out with a big fuel pump. I have another thank you for Odell for helping me out with a set of rear wheels and slicks. I also would like to thank Red's hot air for hooking me up with a set of 160# injectors.

Thank you all very much for your help and support on making this happen!

Jason Loftus

Jay, I'm as poor as Andy was while he was trying to mod his car, however I would be more than willing to donate my free time to help you out in the garage. I know I will never be as handy with a wrench as you or Andy, but I still want to be a part of this. Andy touched my life in so many ways and this is the least I can do to give back. Even if it is just being there to fetch tools or clean up afterwards, I owe so many good memories to you and him, it is the least I can do.

Tom 309-824-7237

A poor college student here, but I can donate some wrench time as well. I only met Andy a few times, but he seemed to reall enjoy his car.

Let me know when you guys are going to work on the car and I'll try to help out. I'm kinda busy these days, but if I can help I will. I'm selling my GN next week and going through all my parts leftover to see what can be put to use on this project.

Any of you guys who are wanting to help me out with the wrenching should PM me with your phone numbers or call my cell phone so I can store your numbers. My cell phone number is (309)253-7991.

Andy's father and I will be trailering Andy's car to my house this sunday. Once its here I'll have to gutt the interior and start preparing the car for the cage and the back half.

Another thing a local guy could help me with is to keep thier ears open for some one looking for a good BRF, a BRF core, or a stock long / short block. I need this stuff out of my way and could really use the money from the sale of these parts.

It looks like I'll be buying a trans for this car through a friend, and I'm planning on ordering a custom ATI convertor through Jack Cotton. A few things I'll still be looking for is:

70mm TB
TB to 4bbl intake (I'm planing on making and adapter to put a 70mm on this)
9" center section for 35 spline axels
gaskets
6" wide or narrower pro stars for skinny street tires or front runners
pair of racing seats
pair of 5 point harnesses
4" 4 bolt DP for external gate

I obviously need more than this list but its a few things I could think of.

Back