You can type here any text you want

stage1 or 2 ? not sure what i have

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Otto J

I have just aquiered a stage motor it has casting number 25500012 and says 3.8. On gnttype.org they show that thereis a stage one block with theses numbers but also a stage 2 block with the same markings? How do i know which one i have? It does have splayed 4 bolt caps and no oil provisions?
Thanks Otto

I was told only Stage II came with 4 bolt mains.

True, I was just giving the only info I had on the subject.

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
I have just aquiered a stage motor it has casting number 25500012 and says 3.8. On gnttype.org they show that thereis a stage one block with theses numbers but also a stage 2 block with the same markings? How do i know which one i have? It does have splayed 4 bolt caps and no oil provisions?
Thanks Otto

Almost certainly it's a S2 motor. I've never seen anybody convert a S1 to 4 bolt caps. The S1s and S2s were made from the same casting number, just different machining.

Kendall is correct S1 and S2 share the same casting number. Check the items i told you, however like Kendall stated is sounds like a S2. ;) :cool:

it does have 4 bolt splayed center steel caps and the main oil galleys pass around the outside of the lifter bores(toward the cylinder walls) The deck has all 14 bolt holes in it also,as far as deck hieght i have no way at home to measure it right now.

Cool thanks for the help. Now i just need a crank. and wait for my heads to get back form champion(first i must send them) and now i am gonna get a better cam, No anyone that wants an atr crane 214-210 roller?
Otto
Also thanks for the help Much appreciated

Otto, it is a Stage 1 motor. It was purchased by Bob from a guy named Rob in NJ. I passed on the motor and bought the tranny and rear.

Otto, it is a Stage 1 motor. It was purchased by Bob from a guy named Rob in NJ. I passed on the motor and bought the tranny and rear.

Not sure if it was NJROB or Bob James that had the extra main bolts and head bolts drilled , or if Bob James himself did it (you should problably just ask Bob James). I do know that Bob said he put alot of money into the motor though, and NJROB ran a 9.8 with it.

Otto, Just wanna say I've never personally seen the block, but it was advertised twice as a S1 and was put together by a knowledgable stage block person. I think Bob told me HE had it drilled for 4 bolt mains, but it was over 6 months ago when we talked about it. If not you can bring it to the 3rd Bob in the thread ;) Bobby @ RPE. You have to go there anyways to get the other rod and piston.

Otto,

1) 4 bolt main on S2 blocks (S1 had 4 two bolt main bearing bulkheads)
2) S2 featured two extra bolt holes per cylinder for cylinder clamping.
3) Weight!! S1 3.8 is129 lbs S2 3.8 is 131LBS

I would have to say without seeing block, it is a S2 3.8.

A stage 1 can be drilled for 4 bolt mains and 14 bolt heads. I was told that that is what happened to this block, I just can't remember which owner had it done.

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
Otto, Just wanna say I've never personally seen the block, but it was advertised twice as a S1 and was put together by a knowledgable stage block person. I think Bob told me HE had it drilled for 4 bolt mains, but it was over 6 months ago when we talked about it. If not you can bring it to the 3rd Bob in the thread ;) Bobby @ RPE. You have to go there anyways to get the other rod and piston.
Thats were it is going. He has built all my motors scince 89. So as soon as i have a crank i am bringing it up there.
Otto

Originally posted by njturbo
Otto,

1) 4 bolt main on S2 blocks (S1 had 4 two bolt main bearing bulkheads)
2) S2 featured two extra bolt holes per cylinder for cylinder clamping.
3) Weight!! S1 3.8 is lbs S2 3.8 is 131LBS

I would have to say without seeing block, it is a S2 3.8.
Ican weigh it but you left out S1 block weight?
Will post weight in a few minutes
Thanks Otto

Otto, with a 2# difference it may be hard to tell. The block has been resurfaced, has (i've been told) drilled for 14 bolt heads, added 8 bolts for the 4 bolt mains, etc.

Ya i tried to weigh it but my bathroom scale:D just wont do it correctly and like you said with any machine work those number are pretty null and void. But for the deal i got everything ( just my labor on Bobs car) its worth it for me to build either way. It will still be better than my 109 center billet cap block.
Otto

Back