Stage1 questions

Jeff Rand

With a wet sump set up, (using the Duttweiler oil system) would only the rear return be used to feed the engine? Could I set it up with a "T" for front and rear oil feed? I am using -10 line to the rear and possibly a -6 line to the front (front hole is 1/4" rear is 3/8") By the way on the Duttweiler oil plate the front internal return line is plugged and can be used as an external return line.

What is the difference between heat treating and nitrating a crank?
Thanks,
Jeff

Nitriding

After a rough crank fordging has been hardened and the main and rod journals and counterweights have been ground and finish machined, ....the crank can then be nitrited...which will give an extremely hard surface from .0005 to .003 inch thick. Without getting to deep into the nitriting process,it is done in a cyanide bath at 1050 deg F . The wear life of the journals can be increased up to fivefold. Its the trick for racing cranks, and any other rough duty parts

LATER JEFF

Re: Nitriding

Thanks speedstar

Thanks for the question Jeff and thanks speedstar for that answer..........I wondered what happens when you nitrate the crank...My engine builder mentioned that to me, and included that procedure when he rebuilds the bottom end of my motor....He had a few other suggestions such as floating wrist pins in the pistons, JE pistons....etc..etc....

Later,
Mack

Originally posted by SPEEDSTAR
After a rough crank fordging has been hardened and the main and rod journals and counterweights have been ground and finish machined, ....the crank can then be nitrited...which will give an extremely hard surface from .0005 to .003 inch thick. Without getting to deep into the nitriting process,it is done in a cyanide bath at 1050 deg F . The wear life of the journals can be increased up to fivefold. Its the trick for racing cranks, and any other rough duty parts

LATER JEFF

Crank

I to would also like to thank Speedstar for the explaination on nitrate process. After this procedure is performed, will it be difficult to machine the crank?
Thnaks,
Jeff