Starting Line Boost

BLOWN526

WHAT'S THE SECRET TO BUILDING BOOST ON THE LINE,I HAVE THE S-10 WHEEL CYLINDERS AND A WILWOOD PORPORTIONING VALVE BUT CAN'T BUILD ANY BOOST.THE BEST SIXTY I HAVE GOTTEN SO FAR IS A 1.89 (STILL RAN A 11.63)I WANT TO GET THE CAR TO RUN 6.80'S IN THE 1/8,NEED A LITTLE TUNING AND A LOT OF HELP ON THE LINE.:rolleyes:

IMO and based on your combo, you need more stall speed.
Get some opinions here but I'm thinking at least 3400 +.

More stall doesn't hurt, but one of the biggest secrets is keeping ALL heat out of the rear drums/shoes. If you've got stickies or slicks, the only thing holding you on the line is your rear brakes. You can easilly push locked front tires right through the lights if the rears aren't holding.

Doing a burnout without a line lock builds far too much heat in the rear drums and will in fact render the rear brakes pretty much useless for several minutes or longer.

I Don't Push Thru The Lights,i Start Spinning The Tires When I Am In The Lights,the Car Has A 3200 Non Lockup Converter In It Now.i Don't Have A Line Lock Yet But I Don't Hold The Pedal,i Roll Thru The Water And Floor It,seems To Heat Up Tires Good.

Are you actually reaching the 3200 RPM before the tires break loose?

The cam and Turbo combo you have (not excluding other parts) needs some RPMs which you cant build to before the tires break loose.

I Don't Push Thru The Lights,i Start Spinning The Tires When I Am In The Lights,the Car Has A 3200 Non Lockup Converter In It Now.i Don't Have A Line Lock Yet But I Don't Hold The Pedal,i Roll Thru The Water And Floor It,seems To Heat Up Tires Good.

If your rear tires are spinning and the fronts are holding, I'd say you have some serious traction issues along with braking issues.
Even with the rear brakes NOT holding, your tires are not sticky enough to push the front tires over the ground, you'll never have the traction needed to hold any kind of a descent boost launch anyway.

I agree! You should push through the lights! You have got the top end especialy with that cam. I would go to a higher stall, IMO at least 3500 stall.

What shoes do you have on the rear? Try two "large" shoes if you dont have them already... Just doing a basic brake job netted me the ability to hold 12lbs(much less hp than you though) but before the brake job I couldnt hold ANY boost. Even with my g-force kdws I can hold 12lbs before the tires break loose, I have never tried to see what my max was with really sticky tires. Im pretty sure it would be in the12-15lbs range though.

Also how is your propotioning valve setup? Are you sure you have it set up right?

I'v e got the same problem

My stall is way to low and i can take it to 3500 hold the line and still not build much boost.
the only good thing is that i have 10" street tires on and with all the lag its not till 2nd gear till i start spinning:biggrin: best 60' 1.91

first time a monkey in a mustang beats me i'll buy a new one:eek:

make sure that you don't have any exaust leaks and get a bigger stall....

I fought that stall "gremlin" for years. everytime I changed combos I had to address the issue again. It was a good thing my vender offered 1 free stall adjustment with a new converter.

I added big Aerospace brakes in front, S10 cylinders with soft shoes in rear, line lock with proportioning valve, drag shocks.........and that worked pretty well but was only happy when..

I finally went with a TH 400 with transbrake. All was well then........ :cool:

try this, it works great

MS14
BRAKE JUMPER

When a trans brake is not for you, install this jumper and it will allow you to hold a ton a boost with your foot brake.
GET AGGRESSIVE!!

more stall, I had the same problem...even with the added airflow, you definitley need more stall. Or go with a BB 61 or 67.

Are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak?
My problem was virtually identical to yours, found a leak at the manifold/turbo connection. I ended up having to put a gasket at that location to get it sealed, but it sure cured my problem of building boost at the line.

Geoff

I Have Never Heard Ant Exhaust Leaks,my Tranny Guy Also Did The Converter And Drove The Car And Said The Converter Was Where It Needed To Be,the Car Still Has The Powermaster Brakes On It,don't Now What The Pads Are,when The Car Leaves The Line It Takes About 15 Feet Before The Boost Gets Up To About 21#s,i Still Am Having The Problem Of Car Nosing Over Right Before The Shift So I Am Scared To Turn The Car Up,got A Lot Of Bugs To Work Out,still New To The Gn Scene And Trying To Learn Without Spending Alot Of Money But I Still Want An A/c,overdrive Street Car On Street Tires To Run 6.70's In The 1/8 And Drive It Home.

I Have Never Heard Ant Exhaust Leaks,my Tranny Guy Also Did The Converter And Drove The Car And Said The Converter Was Where It Needed To Be,the Car Still Has The Powermaster Brakes On It,don't Now What The Pads Are,when The Car Leaves The Line It Takes About 15 Feet Before The Boost Gets Up To About 21#s,i Still Am Having The Problem Of Car Nosing Over Right Before The Shift So I Am Scared To Turn The Car Up,got A Lot Of Bugs To Work Out,still New To The Gn Scene And Trying To Learn Without Spending Alot Of Money But I Still Want An A/c,overdrive Street Car On Street Tires To Run 6.70's In The 1/8 And Drive It Home.

6.70's on street tires. Aint going to happen. Stickies or DOT's yes, street tires no.

No offense but even if you could build boost on the line you'd blow the tires off unless you have stickies.
Also if you adjust your prop valve you should be able to hold as much as you want on the line.