starting my motor swap !

This has been a 7 month project, and I'm so bummed right now. The motor is now back out of the car, on an engine stand and tore down to the short block.
As I was finishing the car ( by "finishing" I mean I was actually putting water in it and starting the car) I noticed a leak. I ran the car for 3 nights tuning on it before deciding to fix it. I noticed the small (silver dollar sized) puddle of water, raised the car and saw a fitting that looked like it was leaking. Didn't think much about it. Figured I'd fix it later. Didn't seam like a big deal. So, day 3 of running the car and tuning on the fast, it was running pretty good. Real responsive and sounded wicked. I decided to fix that damn leak. Once I had the light on the fitting and got a closer look, I noticed above the fitting, on the block, was a small stream of where water was running down onto the fitting I thought was leaking. That's when it went all down hill......

I just knew that stupid head bolt/gasket was leaking. Figured, seal tabs and a retorque was called for. So, I pulled the header, the rockers and grabbed the torque wrench. I set my light down, then noticed another small line of water on the head leading right to where it was running down the block.....head was cracked. At that exact moment, I felt beat. I felt like the car just bitch slapped me. So the project is on a slight delay....along with my happiness .

I did get a vid you can see of the car running. Gonna put it on YouTube soon.

pics

Attachments

• IMAG0306.jpg
    IMAG0306.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 388
  • IMAG0308.jpg
    IMAG0308.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 385
I was just going to ask you if you were sure the head was cracked. I guess the picture proves it.

Honestly, I don't think it is that big of a deal considering all the work you have in that car. The good thing is that you KNOW what the problem is! It's just a matter of getting the head replaced or repaired.

When the car is shooting down the track all the work will have been worth it.

Man that really Sux. Well its always something and they work between breakdowns.

Youll get it man. I know its very frustrating.

Yea, that's what I keep telling myself. I'm slowly working my way from depressed to pissed. I just want to get it fixed .

Ok, so the motor is down and waiting on my new heads. I decided to work on the other end of the car. I put a trunk kit in the car. I Fab'd up a "spare tire dummy" to get the pass. side piece to fit right. I was surprised that as many cars out there, there wasn't anything out there for us "non spare tire" guys ?? Anyway, I got it all together and wired up the battery box and took some pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0375.jpg
    IMAG0375.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 329
  • IMAG0377.jpg
    IMAG0377.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 327
  • IMAG0378.jpg
    IMAG0378.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 324
  • IMAG0379.jpg
    IMAG0379.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 322
  • IMAG0385.jpg
    IMAG0385.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 320
yes it is fixable, but I am getting a brand new set for the car. tom said that if they were repaired, they would be perfect for a 109, since you don't use the extra bolts. so I will have a set of champion "R" heads for sale pretty soon .

That's good, I guess you can salvage some of your cost for the new set. Glad to hear you are getting the momentum back up. I know it sucks when you find issues like this, so sometimes it is best to step away from the project for a few days, recoup, and get back to it. Beautiful car and motor and can't wait to see more of it!

damn aluminum heads! i feel your pain,my new motor developed a vibration,so out it comes. it seems like it's always something with these cars. they sure are fun to drive though!

Im starting my Stage II install now, I am hoping for no surprises. It just so many systems that have to work right to get these things running.

Are you using a Vac pump on your motor? I saw the valve cover hoses ran from the breathers.

Also, that is a nice batter box, "taylor" did it come with that positive disconnect lever.

BTW I think I bought a set of ATR 4-bolt headers from you.

Yea, taking a couple days off really helps clear the spider webs. But they are fun when its "right", that's why we keep going. The hoses run to the breather. It has a catch can to hold any oil pushed out. The battery box and disconnect were separate. I just rigged them up together.

Attachments

• IMAG0388.jpg
    IMAG0388.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 245
  • IMAG0389.jpg
    IMAG0389.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAG0390.jpg
    IMAG0390.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMAG0385.jpg
    IMAG0385.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 246
Ok, since I had the motor down and apart again, ( unfortunately ) I decided to go a little further and put a new roller cam in it. It has a flat tapp. in it now, so its a good opportunity to update and take full adv of the new heads !

Attachments

• IMAG0392.jpg
    IMAG0392.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 181
  • IMAG0395.jpg
    IMAG0395.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMAG0398.jpg
    IMAG0398.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 181
There are some # on the end of the cam, I'm going to call comp today and find out all the info on it. I am going to sell it.