You can type here any text you want

Steel Crankshaft.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

9SECVSIX

Looks like I need a new narrow journal 3.625" stroke crank, What's our options? Any of the suppliers still have the Buick MS forging to work with? I have a pretty good idea about the pricing:(
As far as the billet crank being that much stronger than the forged has anyone even heard how much % wise?
Where would you go if you were going to have a new crank machined?
Thanks
Brent.

Well Moldex is a good grinding source, but I doubt they have any raw forgings. Scat may have a few, but doubt it (?) Moldex seems more reasonable IME, regardless. If no blanks it might be billet $ time!

TurboTR

I was told that the billet forging is about 15% stronger. Considering the HP levels that have been made with a Motorsports crank, I'd not be concerned about going billet or not unless you are trying to develop max HP with it.

Brent,

A narrow journal 3.625"stroke crank is going to be sort of difficult to come by these days unless you have one made. I personally don't buy into the idea of billet cranks being stronger although the design of the most recent billet cranks is better than the earlier Buick Motorsport forged cranks. If you're looking for a raw forging I have one. Drop me a line if you're interested.

Neal

I just recently had 2 forgings finished by Moldex (3.590 and 3.625). They charge $1000 per crank. They do not have any forgings. You must supply your own or...........Whitey at Moldex said he would make a billet crank for me for $2150.

I you are interested in a good used 3.590 crank, I have one that is a wide rod crank, Std/Std. I just sent it out to be magged and polished.

Dave

One thing Moldex said, be sure to get the "good" forging if you search. There's a difference in the relationship of the center counterweights somehow. One way is "bad". Hopefully those are rare. Lozano Bros concurred and I think may have been involved in getting the "good" forging out :-)

TurboTR

Todd,

You bring up a good point in regard to the raw forgings. I've had several and there appears to be at least 2 different versions both with the 2550008 forging #. Do you know which are the good ones? If so could you post a picture?

Thanks
Neal

Well it has to do with the angular spacing between the center 2 counterweights I think. Whitey at Moldex is the one to call and make sure what exactly. Lozano Bros said they quickly broke several of the early forgings with the "wrong" spacing, thus the new design :-)

I'll see if I still have a picture of the raw forging we used. We had Moldex grind it into a finished 3.625 wide journal. I got the raw forging from a Lozano Bros "garage sale" years ago :-)

We oughta capture important tidbits like this, 'cause when the few guys like Whitey and LBP are retired we're in the dark from then on...

TurboTR

Thanks for the input guys. Now are all the off set rods of a narrow journal design or are there also wide journal offset rods?
These 6.380" Carrillos I have are pretty rare.
FWIW the crank had been welded up on the #6 rod journal before I ever purchased it but to what extent I couldn't find out. I've always been very concerned considering it has take 800HP for a number of runs, this time it didn't pass inspection, I consider myself very fortunate it didn't break at the top of the track.
Later
Brent
Daver: I sent you a email on the board here.

I have a 3.54 Moldex crank for sale, brandy new for 2,000 if anyone is interested.

raw crank forging

I have a BMS raw forging for sale if you need to have one made up special. Price is $535 shipped in the lower 48.
214-213-3354

Back