Steering column locks & other security ideas...

J Banning

Quench my thirst with C16
Guys,
What are your thoughts on the steering column locks out there. How about the one that Kirban is selling...

Column Pro-Gard Steering Collar Lock:
https://www.kirbanperformance.com/index_turboregal.htm
(go to: Catalog > Theft Deterrents, Decals & Misc.)

Anything elese out there?

How about other security devices? From time to time I'll have to park my car all day in an open lot at my train station. Would hate for someone to break in and drive off with her.

P.S. Yes, I know my MaxEffort has a anti theft setting.

Thanks,
-Banning.

I have the Steadfast on one of my cars and there is no way a theif is going to get at the ignition lock cylinder or locking mechanism unless they cut it off with a carbide wheel or a torch as it is made from pretty thick tool steel.

You can make it so you can easily unplug the ecm and take it with you, you can unplug the ecm wire under the hood, or unplug the fuel pump. Best part is these cost nothing and unless a theif has time to find out why the car won't start, your car is safe. Before I got the Seedpro an just knocked the rev limiter down to 100rpm's , I just unplugged the ecm wire under the hood.

From my "research" on car theives and security, if they want the car bad enough, they will get it. But I figure w/ enough deterants(notice I didnt say anti-theft devices coz I dont think there's much that will be able to stop someone who's bent on stealing the car). Anyway, w/ enough deterants you should be able to frustrate the mediocre theif into giving up. Thats just my opinion, but if i wanted to take a car and saw a bunch of security stuff on it, I'd think twice, or give up after a couple attempts. Here's what I can think of for deterants....
1-column guard(already mentioned)
2-autolock(fits over brake pedal)
3-removable steering wheel
4-fuel pump kill switch
5-chip(already mentioned)
6-tint to hinder lookin in the car(ie. see all the gauges etc)
7-some sort of security system(makes some noise til they disable it)
I cant remember anything else, thats my plan for my car when I get the money.

i read somewhere, on a TR if your foot / pants ever get caught on the brake pedal and you accidentally pull it up with any kind of force you'll mess up the brake switch adjustment or something.. anyone know what im talkin about?

Originally posted by TType84
i read somewhere, on a TR if your foot / pants ever get caught on the brake pedal and you accidentally pull it up with any kind of force you'll mess up the brake switch adjustment or something.. anyone know what im talkin about?

Yes. I have the autolock on mine and I extended the bar to high which pushed my brake switch out. I noticed when I got out of the car the brake lights were on. I put the brake switch back on but I did not know it needed to be adjusted. Can someone please explain the procedures of adjustment? Jbanning I like the autolock it seems pretty tough to beat. The construction seems pretty good. Also I like the fact that it locks on to the brake pedal. It would be an akward position for a thief to try and remove it. I have a couple of friends using the autolock and had no problems.

Originally posted by J Banning
Guys,
..........Anything elese out there?

How about other security devices? From time to time I'll have to park my car all day in an open lot at my train station. Would hate for someone to break in and drive off with her.
Banning.

There is only one security device that I trust which will NOT get my GN or T-Type stolen - that is Powerlock. If it is impossible to start the car, it can only be towed for an unauthorized person to take it.

A metal switchbox is epoxied over the trigger terminal on the starter solenoid. A signal is transmitted from a control box, either remotely or with a security key fob, to allow the starter to engage. No start, no theft.

More details will be on my web site soon.:cool:

Re: Re: Steering column locks & other security ideas...

Originally posted by Nick Micale
There is only one security device that I trust which will NOT get my GN or T-Type stolen - that is Powerlock. If it is impossible to start the car, it can only be towed for an unauthorized person to take it.

A metal switchbox is epoxied over the trigger terminal on the starter solenoid. A signal is transmitted from a control box, either remotely or with a security key fob, to allow the starter to engage. No start, no theft.

More details will be on my web site soon.:cool:

az is car theft central right?

in any case i hope anyone with one of those would buy a steadfast too, because if not you're gonna have a broken steering column..

It seems like there is nothing to stop thieves if they want to TOW your car...even a boot. They can drag it up on a trailer and cart it off, even if all the wheels are locked. I have several devices, including the Steadfast. IMO the only thing that can almost guarantee that you'll find your car is a satellite tracking system and a page alert.

Someone mentioned that LoJack has an alert, but I think they have to start your car for it to activate. Which means that they could tow it at the least.

I think an alert that goes off if the car moves, along with instant tracking is the way to go. Not sure of the name of the company that has these features. That's the setup I'd like to get.

lo jack is activated when you call the cops and let them know you cant find your car anymore..

Originally posted by TType84
lo jack is activated when you call the cops and let them know you cant find your car anymore..

The alert is supposed to be a "new' LoJack optional feature.

Originally posted by turbo
It seems like there is nothing to stop thieves if they want to TOW your car...even a boot. They can drag it up on a trailer and cart it off, even if all the wheels are locked. I have several devices, including the Steadfast. IMO the only thing that can almost guarantee that you'll find your car is a satellite tracking system and a page alert.

Someone mentioned that LoJack has an alert, but I think they have to start your car for it to activate. Which means that they could tow it at the least.

I think an alert that goes off if the car moves, along with instant tracking is the way to go. Not sure of the name of the company that has these features. That's the setup I'd like to get.

Not to start a debate, but just to add some info, the Steadfast and Lojak do not stop the professional thieves. The collar or club usually stops the joyriders, but the pros know how to find and get rid of the Lojak box before the cops get there.

Yes, Arizona has been at the top of the stolen car list nationwide for years, and personally know of half a dozen local GN's stolen this past year. Some of these had anti-theft measures that were easily overcome like the collar. We have lots of desert here so by the time a car if located by police, if ever, it is usually trashed by then. Only takes a couple hours or less to strip what they want. But probably cops in other cities have a higher priority to follow and find stolen cars! :)

Question is "Has anyone had their car that was equipt with a Steadfast collar stolen?" I dont mean by being towed away. I mean by being driven away. If it was driven away, how was the Steadfast defeated? How did the theives remove it?

Is the Steadfast collar intended to be "permanent", or is it held in place with a key lock?

How does an owner remove a Steadfast collar, if you need to replace the turn signal switch or something??

Is the Steadfast plastic coated or something, to prevent scratching of the steering column.

"... nothing to stop thieves if they want to TOW your car...even a boot. They can drag it up on a trailer and cart it off, even if all the wheels are locked..."
Ouch, that would not make a pretty sight .. can you imagine a car being dragged & winched onto a flatbed, with the front wheels turned and locked with a boot. Although I suppose they'd only have to jack up the front on some kind of dolly.

To do a "winch theft", wouldn't they first have to steal a towtruck? Just renting or buying a tow truck would make it too easy to trace down, assuming of course the cops have time to investigate. Unless it's some massive theft ring, they usually don't or won't.

Do any of you KNOW of ACTUAL thefts where the vehicle was dragged onto a flatbed, or is this another "urban legend"?

Originally posted by GNVAIR
Question is "Has anyone had their car that was equipt with a Steadfast collar stolen?" I dont mean by being towed away. I mean by being driven away. If it was driven away, how was the Steadfast defeated? How did the theives remove it?

They are good questions. But the only one that could answer them is the thief!:D