Steering Wheel Center

turbodave231

I am in the process of installing a Grant steering wheel and an SFI approved quick disconnect coupler in my 85 GN Racecar. The factory wheel in the car is rather tattered. It isn't easy getting in and out with the car with the Kirkey seat and the X-bars in the doors, so the removable wheel will be a nice addition.

The Grant wheel came with an aluminum centerpiece that didn't look very good. So I sat down on Saturday and dusted off my drafting tools and came up with a drawing. A couple hours on the CNC mill this afternoon and I roughed out 2 pieces. I brought them home and polished them on my lathe. The Buick medallions are something I picked up at a swap meet years ago. I am pleased with the results, what do you think?

Dave

Attachments

• Wheel Center 004.jpg
    Wheel Center 004.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 452
  • Wheel Center 007.jpg
    Wheel Center 007.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 456
  • Wheel Center 009.jpg
    Wheel Center 009.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 458
Good idea and and nice work.:D

Very nice Dave.:D If it doesn't take that long you micht see if Brian or Scott wants some for samples.:cool:

Looks great. I would rather see someone using their hands instead of a credit card.

Making parts is fun!!

This little project got me thinking about wheel centers caps. The T Type centers are no longer available and going for Stupid money!. It might be cool to make a set out of 6061 billet. I'll need a better way of retaining them on the wheel rather than the cheesy friction fingers.:rolleyes:

Buick Specific Wheel Centers for my Weld Wheels might be cool too.

great minds

thinking the same thing just getting the measurment was look at some thing, threaded or a couple allen screws from the inside into rim but great Ideal:cool:

center caps

took some measurement on my rims today and got some basic measurement from rich b4b on replacement and original caps for t the t rins are cuped out for the retension tabs instead of tabs looking at 4 allen set screw tightened from the back side easiest but also looking a threading the rim and new caps still with one set screw just some Ideals I think:eek:

Please share your measurements!! We need a good design for a replacement cap!!

From your signature I see you live in Moab!! I was there a couple years ago on a Quad trip. I still have a "souvenir" bent rim from Poison Spider Mesa. What a cool place!!

Dave

poison spider it not for the fant of heart we have 24 other trailers and of course slickrock off road bike trails Jeep safari go's easter week this place looks like an LA freeway that week.

Quad riders really like the rim trail you run the who west side rim looking into the valley !

Have the measurement will pick up materials this week over in Grand Jct will take photo's and document changes or mod as we work this out looking at several styles brushed alum, chrome and even painted and replacement emblem can be attached to.

but looking for something we wont lose or get ripped off very easily

Planning on ever coming back to our little town

St!nger,

As a matter of fact we have another Moab trip planned this fall. Our last Time there we rode:
7 mile Rim
Kane Creek Canyon
Hey Joe Canyon
Poison Spider Mesa
and
Behind the Rocks (which was by far the baddest ball buster trail I've ever ridden.)

I worn out a brand new set of tires on the slickrock in one week!!!

Nobody has really gone off-roading until they have gone off-roading in Moab!!!

By far the coolest off-road place on the planet!!!

off road

everyone considers our trails off roading we just consider them shortcut
did you run the river at all or do deadhorse point?

john wayne filmed in prospect valley out the river rd, Thelma louies dead horse point

do you all camp out or camp in the hotels

of course you can visit the lasals and take at trip to pack creek or the loop road go south to go west to go north to go east, moab, lasal's, castle vally river road back to moab

you seem to fabricate a lot of nice stuff what do you do for a living

jon