Steering wheel removal.

L

lalonde441

WWell i thoguht this would be a simple task but it turns out im confused. I took the top plat pff then the bolt on the steering wheel as well.....looks like the wheel should just pull off shouldnt it? What am I missing here?? please help. Thxs.

You need a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off, then you'll need a tool to depress the lockplate.

You only need the lockplate removal tool if you are going "into the steering column" for other repairs. To just remove the wheel, you need the wheel remover tool as its press-fit is so tight that just "yanking" on the wheel will bend it!

Get the right tools to do the right job. If you are doing anything beyond replacing the wheel, see http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/suspension/t_steering.html

I agree, get the correct puller and lockplate tool, then it's easy...and if u do decide to yank it off, leave the bolt loose but still on the column a turn or two or you might get the wheel in the mouth when it lets go! :eek:

lol good tip! so i only need the sterring whell puller right? common sense as to where it attaches on the wheel??? never used one so wouldnt know. thxs again.

it's extremely strightforward. i use a balancer puller with the correct bolts to thread into the wheel.

HTH
Chris