You can type here any text you want

Stick coils / COP - not CNP

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ShawnR

Fixer of crap..
Has anyone ever tried coils like there on our engines?
stick_coil1.jpg

I've done multiple conversions for motorcycle using them and was just wondering if anyone has used them here.

I am building a motor basically from scratch and will probably be using Megasquirt to run everything. These just seem like they would be a lot easier than a coil pack & wires, and would look cleaner than using the individual LS coils.

Thoughts?

Has anyone ever tried coils like there on our engines?
View attachment 322345

I've done multiple conversions for motorcycle using them and was just wondering if anyone has used them here.

I am building a motor basically from scratch and will probably be using Megasquirt to run everything. These just seem like they would be a lot easier than a coil pack & wires, and would look cleaner than using the individual LS coils.

Thoughts?

I’m not familiar with those coils but based on my experience with other CNP type coils they are not necessarily better just because they are CNP. This is because many of them are still low voltage inductive coils and are limited to coil output.
Now enter the IGN1(Pantera) coils. They use a special igniter circuitry that provides a capacitive discharge type of spark. Or at least that’s how I understand it. There are no other CNP coils in the same league as those as of yet.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'm not really concerned if they are "better", but as long as they are just as good as a regular coil pack. I'm just looking at options and think they could make for a clean looking install. New manufacturers are using them on V6's so they have to work, and ricers use them on turbo applications. So, is a spark just a spark? Or is there something special to look for?

So, is a spark just a spark? Or is there something special to look for?

With boost a good hot/fast spark is important. Look at how many close the plug gaps to .025 - .028 inches. I'm currently running at .040 with the square truck CnP coils and 24+ psi.

The one area I'd be leery about when using the stick coils is mounting them. I don't think I'd want to just hang them off the plugs, and it doesn't seem as though it would be easy to make a support bracket for them.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I guess I'm not really concerned if they are "better", but as long as they are just as good as a regular coil pack. I'm just looking at options and think they could make for a clean looking install. New manufacturers are using them on V6's so they have to work, and ricers use them on turbo applications. So, is a spark just a spark? Or is there something special to look for?

IMO keeping the coil away from the heat source in a turbo application has some importance.
AG

Hmm.... Didn't think of that one. Most of the newer ones I see have the coil on the valve cover and the spark plug hole going down thru the middle of it. Mine would be right next to the exhaust. I pick up some junkyard coils and fab up a mount to see how they look.

Hmm.... Didn't think of that one. Most of the newer ones I see have the coil on the valve cover and the spark plug hole going down thru the middle of it. Mine would be right next to the exhaust. I pick up some junkyard coils and fab up a mount to see how they look.

And the next issue will be the two plugs facing each other on a stock head. This would most likely cause the coils to occupy the same space.
AG

They definitely fit better on and overhead cam engine layout for the reasons Bitt said and spark plugs location.

Haven't really decided yet (and don't know the difference). Still just in the theoretical stage.

I just don't like the looks of the LS coils sitting on my nice pretty GN1 valve covers so seeing what other options are available. I am now thinking that exhaust heat might be my biggest problem. I know that MS3 will run them and they should have plenty of juice.

Dang. That looks good. Something like that never even crossed my mind.

And the next issue will be the two plugs facing each other on a stock head. This would most likely cause the coils to occupy the same space.

I got some junk coils and can confirm that it ain't gonna work for this reason. Unless you had stick coils that had a bend in them or something, there just isn't room for 2 of them. Along with the fact that they are just inches away from the header and down pipe I am abandoning this idea. If I could get them to fit, I'm afraid the heat would kill them.

Back