still in need of boost

87bluenational

Well I have been having some troubles with getting boost at launch and now that I was able to get the car into third gear I was able to find out were the boost is when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd. A hole 6psi. First to second is 5psi and second to third is 6psi. The boost dose not go down but does not climb past that point. We also tested this on a 5 mph start. When we break torqued it we got 3psi and still shifted at 5psi. I did noticed that when we break torqued it the boost got up to 3 but started to go back down as soon as it got to its max, 3psi. I am only running a 2200 stall and i know i will need a larger one but that should not be the reason the turbo starts to spool and then stops. Or is it. It does not look like any exhaust leaks either. No charing on the header or crossover pipe. I am at a lost?????

Well I have been having some troubles with getting boost at launch and now that I was able to get the car into third gear I was able to find out were the boost is when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd. A hole 6psi. First to second is 5psi and second to third is 6psi. The boost dose not go down but does not climb past that point. We also tested this on a 5 mph start. When we break torqued it we got 3psi and still shifted at 5psi. I did noticed that when we break torqued it the boost got up to 3 but started to go back down as soon as it got to its max, 3psi. I am only running a 2200 stall and i know i will need a larger one but that should not be the reason the turbo starts to spool and then stops. Or is it. It does not look like any exhaust leaks either. No charing on the header or crossover pipe. I am at a lost?????

The more information you can give about your car the easier it is to help. What kind of turbo? Is your wastegate actuator adjustable? Have you checked to exhaust and vacuum leaks? What kind of downpipe? Is the puck sealing to the turbo? What chip are you running? Is it adjustable? All of these things can play a part in what you are experiencing.

Hey bud sorry i did not post anything about the car. I have this on going problem for a couple of weeks. It's been on here and i was going to post it again but i didn't. My fault so here it goes i have a pt63 with 60 lbs injectors with a turbo tweak chip. Stock down pipe and a stock elbow. Yes the acuator is adjustable and an adjustable chip. I have checked for vaccum leak and exhaust leaks. I have checked the puck and made sure that it seals over the exhaust on the turbo. Any tips?

First, that stock puck is not going to seal on that turbo. How have you checked it? I'm surprised you can build any boost. Once you get the puck issue resolved, the stock torque converter isn't going to be able to handle that turbo.

First, that stock puck is not going to seal on that turbo. How have you checked it? I'm surprised you can build any boost. Once you get the puck issue resolved, the stock torque converter isn't going to be able to handle that turbo.

That was my first thought when I read the post. Is the stock puck covering the hole on that turbo? If it is not sealing that is a potential problem. As far as the converter I am no expert but it should be able to build boost. Maybe not as quickly but I would think it would eventually spool it.

yea, his car should have no problems producing boost above about 3000rpm. all the converter does is get the car to this rpm quicker. maybe the wastegate puck is sticking open? where did u get this turbo? used or new?

We did take off the down pipe and check to see if it is covering the hole on the turbo. It seemed like it covered it. But that was at a hard angle and with a little mirror. Well maybe i will have to dip into the money and get a new downpipe. I know there is a couple different ones out there any suggestions. And when buying one does the puck come bigger or do you have to tell them what kind of turbo you have? Thanks again

you should be able to tell by the build up of carbon around the puck and turbo housing. No?

yea definitely check that closer, i think he was saying he had no boost at all:eek: and that wasnt much of a crack. ive seen downpipes that have pucks up to 1.5 inches i believe, but the best would be the ones have external wastegates. im sure someone will be able to chime in that knows alittle more! when i bought my 6152 turbo i asked brian at gbodyparts if the stock elbow and puck would work. maybe try givin him a call?

We did take off the down pipe and check to see if it is covering the hole on the turbo. It seemed like it covered it. But that was at a hard angle and with a little mirror. Well maybe i will have to dip into the money and get a new downpipe. I know there is a couple different ones out there any suggestions. And when buying one does the puck come bigger or do you have to tell them what kind of turbo you have? Thanks again

You can actually rub gun bluing on the puck reinstall the factory elbow then push the puck against the turbo. When you take the elbow off you will see exactly where the puck hit the turbo.

HTH

Gentlemen thanks for the tips and the link about the other guys problem. I just got in from working on it a little and checked to see if the puck was sealing against the turbo. I put a little vasoline on the puck and screwed the elbow back to the turbo and fliped it shut. The test showed that the puck was not touching along the top of the turbo. This weekend we are going to use the pvc piping test and pressurize the turbo and check for any other vaccum or exhuast leaks as well. And then go from there on what to do. Thanks again guys for all of your help and tips.:D