You can type here any text you want

stock crank breakage - turbo crank vs. N/A crank?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
It is common knowledge that the turbo crank has rolled fillets on both the rods and the mains..... and the N/A just has it on the mains......but not the rods....

I have read a long time ago.....where there are some people that say that..... of the stock broke cranks they have ever seen... N/A in particular..... they don't break in the area where the rolled fillet is supposed to be.......

Where I am going is..... anybody with first hand knowledge... can you confirm that broken N/A cranks you have seen wasn't broke where the rod fillets were supposed to be?

If so.... this would make the N/A cranks just as reliable as the harder-to-find and definately more expensive turbo cranks....

Of those ive seen broke (not many) all were at the area where rods 5 and 6 meet. All were rolled rod radius cranks. You will have an unacceptable amount of flex which will wear the bearings before it actually breaks

I've never seen a broke one, but my car has a NA crank in it :eek: so maybe I'll find out.

Of those ive seen broke (not many) all were at the area where rods 5 and 6 meet. All were rolled rod radius cranks. You will have an unacceptable amount of flex which will wear the bearings before it actually breaks

x2

All the broken cranks I've see were between the rod journals.

I have a crank that is cracked 3/4 around on the 3rd main. Turbo crank. The bad thing is when the crank was turned it was missed. But I'm glad it did not break and take out more.

Cracked turbo crank

I too just had my machinist mag my crank before turning and it had 2 one inch cracks in the fillet on 2 and 3 main jounals. It made a mess of the motor with metal from bearings, but did not explode the motor. had 2 steel mains over those journals which i am sure kept it together.

Mitch

Back